Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scandisk/defrag problems

• 23-02-2002 11:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

I am having a problem running both scandisk and defrag on my win98 SE system. When I right click on the C: drive, go into tools and attempt to launch either of these two applications, it tells me there is not enough memory.

I have a HP Vectra Pentium III with 192Mb Ram. The c: drive has 30Gb, about 10 of which is used. I am not sure if it is relevant, but I had to restore the system from the recovery CD which came with it some months back. Scandisk works fine when I shutdown into DOS mode, defrag, of course, requires windows, so won't run.

I have even kept the resource meter open and the system information utility open when attempting to launch scandisk/defrag to see if the memory plumments when they are ran, but no, it doesn't. The only applications I have running are a virus checker, stimon for the scanner and a keyboard application (for the hp extended keys). Killing off these does not fix the problem either.

Any ideas?

TIA,

TD.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

have you not tried HP Support ?

Try running these processes using SAFE MODE. This does seem to have become the NORM for most users. Pressing the CTRL+ALT+DEL, and closing all running programs, does not actually close all open processes. For more info on what is running, start DR. WATSON. Go to START -> RUN and type in drwatson and click OK. The Dr. Watson icon will appear on the right taskbar. Click on the icon twice and wait for you system snapshot to be taken. By selecting TASKS, you will see all the tasks that are running. This is why the norm has become Safe Mode.

if all else fails

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

What Gone Shootin said; Safe Mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by Gone Shootin
    have you not tried HP Support ?

Out of warranty since November last...

I might try the safe mode, but the Microsoft Knowlege base artice in the links refers to the cluster size on a hard-drive greater than 8Gb - I think this is my problem. As I mentioned in the initial post, I had to restore the system from the recovery CD's - it probably does a raw write from the CD to HD (the recovery was amazingly quick).

I am not near the PC now, so I will give it a go when I get home.

Thanks for the help,

TD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Grab somone's OEM disc, FDISK, format and install from the Cd using you own CD key (or whatever - you're still entitled to a copy of Win98SE in my book).
    backup what ever you need to onto someon's hard drive by using 'ye olde pop drive on slave connector in mate's box' method.
    job done.

Advertisement