Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

registering a .ie domain

Options
  • 23-02-2002 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

Aren't the requirements to register a .ie domain name absolutley rediculous it seems that if you're not a business you can scarcely register any domain outside of your own name.

Do they think business is the only thing the internet should be used for??? It sucks.

Does any one know any loopholes that I might avail of to register a domain name?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

I know it's not the exact same situation but you should take a look at this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32057

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

Yes it's completelty studpid. The reason all the ".com" ideas that have come out of Ireland are .com's is that the short sightedness of the IEDR means budding Irish internet entrepreneurs can't register a .IE.

How and ever,

Try these:

Personal Trading Name Rule:
    You trade as yourself (freeelancer, contractor, solicitor etc)

Registered Business Name:
    Download a Business Name Registration Form from www.cro.ie (costs £25).

Discretionary Rule:
    The anything else category. I have used this to register brand names, parishes, projects etc. Esentially all that is required is an official looking letter on headed paper requesting the domain.

Ronan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

Originally posted by Monkey
    Aren't the requirements to register a .ie domain name absolutley rediculous

No, I think their actually quite good,
    The whole point of DNS has been rightly fscked up the arse with
    companies and the like registering all sorts of domains
    typo's of their name, domains that sound like their name.
    Its completly rediculus.
    As for the whole squatting thing that really takes the biscuit,
    I know I'll get this domain now so that I can fleece some poor sod for it in a year or two!
    *sigh*

I have never had trouble with the IEDR.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Originally posted by moist

No, I think their actually quite good,
    The whole point of DNS has been rightly fscked up the arse with
    companies and the like registering all sorts of domains
    typo's of their name, domains that sound like their name.
    Its completly rediculus.
    As for the whole squatting thing that really takes the biscuit,
    I know I'll get this domain now so that I can fleece some poor sod for it in a year or two!
    *sigh*

I have never had trouble with the IEDR.

I think you are:
    1. Tarring everybody with the one brush
    2. Being a bit naive

The Irish system is ridiculous. Strictly speaking, according to their own policies, you shouldn't be able to register generic addresses - and yet some people still do..
    The amount of paperwork involved, without mentioning the cost, makes it prohibitive for small businesses to setup.
    The TLDs, such as .com & .net, may have been abused by some people, but they are 1. Easy to register and 2. easy to update, which makes it relatively simple for a non-technical person to set them up.
    If you think that the net should embrace older technologies, such as the fax, fine, but if you do then Ireland will be left far far behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

Originally posted by blacknight

1. Tarring everybody with the one brush

Well having worked for an ISP, there were numerous companies that wanted .com .org .net
    domains with all sorts of conertations of their name registerd.
    I also regularly come accross squatting sites when I mistype a domain name.
    like if I accidentally type www.coompany.com I will see a page
    "ooh this site is for sale please contact blah..."

2. Being a bit naive

Dawww... thanks honey!!

The amount of paperwork involved, without mentioning the cost, makes it prohibitive for small businesses to setup.

Theres not really a whole lot of paperwork.
    Companies should have it all redilly available.
    I don't think £100 is a whole lot considering the costs of manually confirming each application.

The TLDs, such as .com & .net, may have been abused by some people, but they are 1. Easy to register and 2. easy to update, which makes it relatively simple for a non-technical person to set them up.
    If you think that the net should embrace older technologies, such as the fax, fine, but if you do then Ireland will be left far far behind.

Ok I know that the IEDR is nowhere near perfect, and it would be great if the
    process could be automated more.
    How you ever tried to get an SSL Cert off verisign for an organisation
    that doesn't have a D&B number ? Now thats painful...

I was just saying that I like the fact that they try to put restrictions on what sort
    of domains people register, like if I set up a company called "Fubar" AFAIK they would prevent
    some random joe from registering fubar.ie and trying to fleece me for it.
    Or even doing more sinister things with it.

As such I think the Limited extra hastle is well worth the benefits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by moist

I don't think £100 is a whole lot considering the costs of manually confirming each application.

Bunch of arse. Those costs are practically nil.

.IE domains are way too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by blacknight

The Irish system is ridiculous. Strictly speaking, according to their own policies, you shouldn't be able to register generic addresses - and yet some people still do..

The Generic Rule was dropped as of 05 November 2001. However that did not stop IEDR giving out 320 or so generic medical domains just *before* it dropped the rule.

I agree that the IEDR is a joke and it has done more to hinder domain registration in Ireland. Most companies have gone .com/.net/.org. The .ie tld is not the most useful and it is the most higly priced for bulk registrations.

Most of the speculation domains and the freebie domains are now being deleted in the CNO space.

The latest that I saw was the registration of .nom.ie and .mise.ie by the IEDR. It seems that IEDR is going to start selling personal/vanity domains a few years *after* the dotcom bubble burst. I posted a few comments about it on Hackwatch.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement