Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copying OS from on hd to another.

• 23-02-2002 3:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

heres my problem and i'm wondering if it can be done.
    I have 2 hard-drives in my computer at the moment.
    a 3gb one with no partitions and is running win98.
    a 20gb with 3 partions.
    partition 1 is 4gb and blank.
    partition 2 is 8gb and has all my appz
    partition 3 is 8gb and has all my games.

Anyhew i want to use my smaller hd for another comp and move the win98 over to the 4gb partition on the 20gb hard-drive.
    The reason i want to do this and not reinstall is cos of loads of programs i got installed and well don't have the orginal installers. And i finally have my comp the way i like it, and that took some time.

I got another hd and stuck another copy of win98 and booted that and tried to copy all the files on the 3gb over to the 4gb but i got an error half way through sayin that the file size was too long. :( anyhew, is there a program or dos command that can help me move this??? Can it be done etc'

Thx,
    Gid.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

Drive copy from PowerQuest is what u are looking for. although u cant download a demo version what u can do is download drive image from http://www.driveimage.com/freestuff/trials/index.html

put the second hard disk in.

1. Create an image of ur first hard disk onto the second harddisk in Partition 2

2. restore the image from partiton 2 on the second disk to partition 1 on the second disk

it spould work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What I would do.......though I am known for my 'experimental' solutions ;)......Is install a fresh win98 on the 4gig partition, and yes it probably will try to format your others, so before that, compress your 2x8gig partitions onto the 3 gig :eek: Its more than likely doable. Export the entire registry from the windows on the 3 gig and save it. Then disconnect the 3 giger, install windows and decompress your appz and games back onto the 20giger. Them import the registry to your new windows. Confused? me too. I'm sure someone will post a sane solution that won't create a badly unstable OS.

Really, what I would do is compress everything that is unrecoverable, ie have no install disks, or are savegames or whatever, and put the zip file(s) onto the 3 giger. Then disconnect it and install windoze on the 20 giger. Having a unix partition on the 20 gig would have been nice, you could have tarred and gzipped it without having to mess about with moving large amounts of data:)

You could also go through your current registry, exporting all entries that correspond to the appz you have no install disks for. ugh, but that's al I can come up with. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

ya i think i'll go with Jim Bob for now, seems a lot easier. Just have to wait for the program to download, which should take an hour on my crappy 56k aloght its stickin high at 5k for once. Sweet.

Thanks for the info,
    Gid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Norton Ghost floppy version will work too, theres copies floating around the net somewhere..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Spoonman

Inside Windows Dos Prompt only:

cd \
    xcopy32 c: d: /h/e/c/k

• Advertisement
Advertisement