Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Big Thing? Your Thoughts!

Options
  • 23-02-2002 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭

Music just has to be on the edge of some sort of breakthrough.
    It is time for something new. What do you think it is going to be?
    nu-metal is allready souring, pop=punk discontent is brewing, The whole radiohead derivation thing is getting a-bit played out, and this retro-punk strokes white stripes thing seems to be an unsustainable flash in the pan. Lo-Fi indie will always be around but will never be mainstream, spare me neo-grunge. There is a void just waiting to be filled.

What I'm thinking is that a lot of this new music has been a bit thin content wise and musically. I'm looking to a bigger richer rock sound ya' know soaring vocals, blasting guitar, powerful loud rock a bit more showmanship, some glitter, true percussion, heavy base - Thinking in terms of Jeff Buckley "The Sky is a Landfill" and The Cult with a bit of Bowie glam. Big and loud but a little pretty. Musc that will get the blood pumping but not hurt the ears.

well that's mine... maybe its just a hope. Would I get fired if I were a label exec for this way of thinking?

Your Vision?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by atonal
    Your Vision?

My vision?

I had this ****ed up vision type thing when I blacked out this one time! :D

But, seriously.

I'm not sure, I personally would rather the good stuff stayed underground.

Generaly bands that become more popular are watered down, chewed up, and spat out.
    Take a look at Cradle Of Filth for instance.
    I was always a big fan, I've been listening to them for years.
    But then they suddenly became popular, and all the damn Slipknot kids started listening to them.
    In general, people think Cradle are a new band, or some sudden trend.
    And it's basically embarresing being a fan at this stage.

So basically, I've seen what happens when something I like becomes popular, and I don't like it!

Although, if I had to choose, 80's goth music! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I agree with Angelwhore, I think his type of music should stay underground, at least six feet.

:p

But seriously folks ... Atonal your idea would be cool apart from the glam bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Eyeliner__Boy

Muse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by yellum
    I agree with Angelwhore, I think his type of music should stay underground, at least six feet.

:p

:D:D
    Nice one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

except Guns N Roses

/ Message ends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭The Evil Monkey

does anyone else think that everyones getting pissed off at the state of rock and that the next big thing will probably be some pop-dance mix thing, leaving rock music to the hardcore fans and letting it build up strong roots again? but then maybe thats just a little dream of mine................

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I think bands like the Cooper Temple Caluse are gonna be the next big thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Cooper Temple Clause, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and their like are same ole same ole.

The last stuff that blew me away was Sigur Ros, before that was Boards Of Canada and before that was Dead Prez, years and years ago it was GNR.

Anything as original and fresh as Jeff Buckley and classic GNR, Aerosmith would be good. Nu Metal and showy rock bands who are all about image should fade away asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Frenzy

I think Ginkster are defo gonna be the next best thing.
    Did anyone catch them at Blast on Saturday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Just wait till my band gets big ( cough cough COUGH!!!!!!!)
    The name of the band is

LOCKT
    "Life is better, when your Lockt"

dont you forget it.

ONE LOVE:mad:

feRdi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

Originally posted by yellum

Anything as original and fresh as Jeff Buckley and classic GNR.

EXACTLY EXACTLY EXACTLY what I am talking about!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I think Jeff Buckley was a one off and there will never be anyone like him I think everyone has forgotten about the great future of music with six and that bloke from popstars realeasing their albums this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

the title of next big thing is an anchor.

the next big thing is summit that inspires generations...metallica...gun's n roses....nirvana....

at the drive in and incubus are living examples,i think,tho i'm not nuts about incubes,it's jist what i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

jeff buckley ummm yeah i guess GNR **** off
    I mean please.....

Groundbreaking i think not jesus there were tons of bands around like that,,...

nirvana were more groundbreaking than guns and roses and even they took there sound from the Pixies. and Then the pixies took there sounds from the white album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

i cant agree bout nirvava "taking"the piixies sounbd;
    anyone that ever tried to imitate that sound flopped and was thrashed for it.

although i know what your on about;smells like is a rhythmical rip off of...is it debaser?cant remember...think that its debaser

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

I'm willing to form a band as envisaged by atonal if anyones interested (bass, drums, vox). PM me if interested (my portfolio can be found at http://brunkard.iuma.com and www.presence.vze.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

ahhh the great Thomas From Presence sees value in my vision...

For the record - no there will never be another Jeff Buckley - sometimes I find it hard to believe there even was a Jeff Buckley, I dont mean a copy I mean in the spirit of.....

in spite of crap like Six music must have a future and eventually the aformentioned "Anchor" will rise. There is some great talent out there that just needs to find the proper voice and hit at the right place and time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭joey D

the next big thing will be the Ginkmongers - I saw them recently at the Tullamore Court Hotel, man they were rocking the house down! Anyway, they sort of represent a pure white hot slice of sheer techno punk funk gunge psychedelia hardfloor acid skiffle pop. Their songs contain soaring, scything riffs of pure gothic jungle creamy trancey explosions. I spoke to their frontman after the gig, Jimmy Bowers, a paragon of humanity, a pure, fleshy lump of bone and skin, and he told me to fvck off. Well, that had me reaching for my thesaurus I can tell you! What an insult; a searing, white-hot insult of.......

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

The VON BONDIES

Trail of Dead's albumn (out tomorrow) is fantastic from what I've heard.

Dunno if you can put White Stripes in the 'retro-punk' category, but hey, if that's your bag....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Originally posted by teamdresch
    The VON BONDIES

Absoultely nothing to do with this thread, but I saw Donna from Team Dresch selling merchandise at the Bratmobile gig in the Camden Underworld last night (she's their tour manager). I bought a badge off her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Originally posted by atonal
    ahhh the great Thomas From Presence sees value in my vision...

The great Thomas (ex Presence) was beginning to think he was the only one in Dublinnia with a vision like it! We need something that is potentially inovative with respect to the music of the past. Musicianship, progressive arranging & songwriting and some flair.

I must point out that singers who model themselves on Eddie Vedder and Liam/Noel Gallagher too much are as bad to Irish music as Six or Bellefire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭anony

The next big thing always seems to be the complete opposite of what's happening at the moment.......except for in the US where it's always fairly samey.....

I'd like to see Shea Seger get some success......it's hardly ground breaking stuff, (name something that is) but her debut album is rather excellent in a suble kind of way , and one of the best production jobs I've heard.....a perfect balance of old and new

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭metalish

the next big thing would deffinetly be Metallica coming back with a GOOD album unlike the last two it would be a Kill 'Em All/ MOP style that would be so good!!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Frenzy

"Pedro the Lion"
    They rock, don't know much about them think there American.
    Check them out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 shayn

The Lost Prophets
    and i think Pitchshifters new album is coming oot soon .
    Buy iit . buyyyy ittt

Advertisement