Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drive reading slow?

• 23-02-2002 8:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

Maxtor IDE HDD 40GB 5400rpm.

Only new, bought about 10 days ago. I removed it today to put in old hard drive to back up some stuff on that, when I replaced the new one it seems to be screwed. For example mp3's stutter when being read from it, WindowsXP is taking forever to load up, mouse-pointer pauses and freezes when something is loading. Wasn't happening yesterday mind you, was working fine.

I've tried changing the IDE cables and its still doing it.

What's wrong? :[

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Maxtor IDE HDD
    there's your problem right there! Maxtor are the biggest load a shíte i've ever had the miss fortune to endure!!!!!!

my advice sacrifice it to the harvest moon or something 0_o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

if its new get it replaced ASAP
    the sooner the better - wipe any "dodgy" stuff from it and demand replacement / refund :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by azezil

my advice sacrifice it to the winters moon or something 0_o
    LOL :D
    Yes, I've done that to a HD recently... think it was a samsung or other piece of piddle.
    The only cure for bad sectors and repeated file-system failure is a screwdriver and hammer job.

My only advise would be to check your BIOS settings for anything that may be out of place... block transfers, PIO modes, DMA... blah, etc.
    The maxtor.com site may have some helpful info aswell.

I have similar problems with my 30Gig Quantum drive in win2k... I used the forced dma 33/66 switching utility... which got win2k to use DMA with the drive, but it's still operating below spec :(
    Typical for Quantum to go under just after I buy a drive of theirs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Yup, double check DMA in your BIOS and in Windows.
    Also make sure the drive is jumpered correctly, dont use CS. Sometimes the system can find and boot from incorrectly jumpered IDE drives but makes a complete b@lls of accessing them afterwards.
    If all that seems fine then try the drive on it's on as the primary master.
    Find the CLEAR CMOS jumper on your motherboard and use it, has been known to fix many a problem (Just note down any setting changes you made to the BIOS beforehand as it will reset to the defaults).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Tried messing round in the BIOS, cleared CMOS etc, getting worse if anything :[

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

use that RMA warranty NOW!
    if it doesn't work, for whatever reason, wipe it and send it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lynchie

To check if the drive has a physical problem, download Maxtor's diagnostic program. It will determine if there is a problem with the drive. You need to run this program if you are to return the drive to them.

http://www.maxtor.com/products/DiamondMax/techsupport/TechnicalProcedures/20014.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Thanks I'll give it a try.

Advertisement