Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL NoLimits Restrictions

• 25-01-2001 10:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Please note that from 01/03/01 we are introducing a 3 hour limit on each
    individual call made under the IOL NoLimits service to ensure greater
    efficiency of service. You may reconnect if required. Under no
    circumstances does this affect the unlimited, unmetered aspect of the
    service.</font>

It seems iol are putting are putting a 3 hour limit on the nolimits service after which you will be disconnected. Some people have received it with their bills. If you are a NoLimits customer (esat/iol) please send [mail]support@iol.ie[/mail] a mail telling them that you are dissapointed and intend to cancel if they dont change. I think if enough people reply then we can change their minds.

Keep it formal and no abuse. If you want to follow thorough and cancel if they dont co-operate thats up to you. Please mail or contact anyone you kknow with NoLimits and tell them to do the same.
    If anyone wants to post a standard formal letter that would be good.

Check
    newsgroup ie.comp (its on boards.ie) for more info.

Dotsie
    www.dotsies.com
    dotsie@dotsies.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

Does that mean that 3hour+ downloads are impossible(unless you resume)?

Dont make me He-B1tch Man Slap You!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

You could use something like getright but i think you would still have to come back to reconnect u see. Its bull$hit so get those emails flying to support@iol.ie. Keep it formal and non abusive with your contact details.

Dotsie
    www.dotsies.com
    dotsie@dotsies.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

As if the service wasn't bad enough with the **** lag, shoddy d/l speeds and the manky packetloss - they plan to dis you after 3 hours?!
    I don't really think it's going to solve much at all... they'll still be massively over-subscribed (and cràp), all this will serve to do is pìss people off.
    Maybe they want people to ditch them and go back to metered dialups like eircom/oceanfree.
    We've had a lot to put up with from this shoddy ISP, I think this will be the straw that broke the camels back.

DOWN WITH ESAT!

SONIC.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

i got it with my bill yesterday, and i think it sux. iv only been usin it for 2 1/2 months and now they come along and do this ****! im not happy, and id say either will anyone else who uses the service. lets get them emails sent to IOL quick before its brought online.

I dont think we need worry about lots of backup on thsi issue so if every subscriber emails a complaint we can surely get the decision turned around.

as its not happenin till 1st of march

come on ppl

flamey

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dotsie~tmp:
    You could use something like getright but i think you would still have to come back to reconnect u see.</font>
    AFAIK you can set it to auto-redial after a disconnection, so it's not going to stop people downloading all day and night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Email sent.
    Those *******s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Hunter px1

Ohhhh i just got that bill today and i am soooooo ****ed of, its bad enough having to put up with s***y download speeds of 2.1kbs and pings of 500 to 1000 before 11pm. now they tell us that they will be disconecting us every 3 hours, its joke??. get all your friends to email IOL and tell them to stick there new plan up there F***ing ****

BURN ESAT...BURN IN HELL
    game over man...game over...what the fu(K are we ment to do now???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Mail sent.

Those fvcking b4stards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Overlord

ehm, 20 quid a month for unlimited internet access at off-peak times. Thats still great value. Especially when esat have to pay eircom.
    If you really want to download loads a stuff get Satelite. Its about the same cost per month after the hardware is bought. And its always on and huge bandwidth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Don't you still have to connect with a 33.6/56k modem to use satellite for net access?
    I hear satellite is utter poo for games as well (understandably).

• Advertisement

Overlord if ur about to tell me Irish telcos do anything except screw the public over ur fvucking crazy. That same £20 buys flatrate broadband in other countries who arent supposedly ecommerce hubs or whatever for the last while.

If esat have a problem providing people the service they pay them for then they should be introducing more modems or put a cap on their users and stop over subscribing. Not curtailing the service.

Once again £20 pound for flat rate 56k (thats half flat reate remember) is not good value and as long as you think it is and dont complain your gonna keep getting fvcked.

Dotsie
    www.dotsies.com
    dotsie@dotsies.com

you tell them Dotsie~tmp
    maybe when NTL lay down there lines and have a server set up well all become LPB's

(thats a big WHEN)

[This message has been edited by Hunter px1 (edited 26-01-2001).]

Maybe my Aunt will grow two balls and become my Uncle.

As much as ive heard is that ntl are conducting a review of their cable net and tv service. Could be a halt to further work on laying cables but thats just a rumour.

Dotsie
    www.dotsies.com
    dotsie@dotsies.com

Right thats its, i think we should all head down to Esat with Railguns and Rocket Launchers and blow the sh|t out of them untill they give use free T3 lines and T1 for bogers lol

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

This was imminent, most companies will do anything and say anything to get you to sign up for something that they have no intentions of providing you forever, take for example Go2Call with their 'free phone calls to the UK and Eire' a few months later their apologising saying they can't continue to provide the service, or the more known Genesis scams, all to get publicity and line up customers for the future or for a completly different service.

The basic reason for this Esat SNL change is because people who download gigs and stay connected from 6pm to 8am every day are actually costing them money, Esat pay Eircom a lot more than 20 quid a month for the usage of someone who does this so basically they don't want that type of person as a customer full stop, but of course they can't blatently refuse service to someone on these grounds so their just making things as awkward as possible hoping these customers will just pi$$ off somewhere else. So don't think sending them letters complaining and threatning to cancel your subs will bother them in the slightest, they'll be only glad to get rid of you smile.gif

Don't get me wrong I'm not agreein with their actions, I think it's all dirty tricks, something they probably had already planned before they even started the service in the first place, making the service as attractive as possible so people couldn't resist signing up for it at the start and now that they have reached their target customer base and brand awareness their in a position to alter the service knowing that most of you although screaming about it now will probably still stay subscribed with them because it's still going to save you money!

Someone mentioned an interesting point that this 3 hour limit was never mentioned in the contract that they signed, which would put them in a serious breach of contract unless they have a dislaimer in there saying something like 'we have the right to alter the service at any time' etc which I'm sure they have but I don't have a copy of that contract here to check.

One last thing, if they implement the same type of system that NTL did in the UK, you won't be able to use 'reconnecting' software to resume your unattended downloads because they don't allow immediate reconnect, you have to wait 10 or so mins before reconnecting, although I'm sure theres a way around it but it's still a pain in the ar$e.

Blade

[This message has been edited by Blade (edited 26-01-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Blade (edited 26-01-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Granted we may pay more for servcies than in other countries, but are you telling me you never heard any of the english folks complaining that they were about to be booted off by their ISP after a 2 hour limit? BT've been doing it for quite a while (I know, you'll all yell they're obviously *******s too.....Do you think ISP's do this for the good of their health?).
    Whether you like it or not it IS a cheap service, even if not as cheap as elsewhere. 20 quid for a month and no phonecharges? C'mon, you get what you pay for.
    And adding free services does have an impact on performance. Eircom hasn't been the same since they added a 'free'-connect.

You want better service/faster connects etc.?
    Then don't subscribe to free or budget services. Common sense.....

ReaveR.gif

I don't even care about large downloads, what annoys me more is...
    * In the middle of a clan match - oops disconnected
    * Downloading a 10MB file - oops disconnected
    * Checking your mail - oops disconnected
    * In the middle of a sentence in IRC - oops disconnected

It's the inconvenience of it all... having to make a new connection every time you want a 3-hour game of CS or TFC... then reconnect again and rejoin. *sigh*

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by _CreeD_:
    20 quid for a month and no phonecharges? C'mon, you get what you pay for.</font>
    In Canada you can get schweet ADSL for about $50 a month (which is roughly IR£30).
    Yes - IOL SNL may look great compared to what we have to put up with from Eircom, but I don't think anyone in Ireland is getting what they pay for, between motor insurance, poxy high taxes, various poorly managed monopolies... maybe we don't complain enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

Someone on a ie.comp recently enquiered about software that would log him off no-limits at 8 am every morning regardless of whether the computer was doing anything.

Esat are a private company. They are entitled to charge as much as they want. They are entitled to impose whatever restrictions they want.

To all those who say they're going to quit nolimits: Where you gonna go?

I would rather they weren't introducing these limits. I would prefer if they increased the capacity of their modem banks. But esat know they're the only company offering this service so your complaints are a waste of time.

Get real!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Skeptic1:
    To all those who say they're going to quit nolimits: Where you gonna go?</font>
    Well I used to use Eircom/Indigo/Oceanfree dialups for 9 hours a day before I got IOL SNL... IOL are getting so bad that these other ISPs are starting to look attractive again... maybe I'll get ISDN.
    I don't think I'd mind that much going back to a local rate dialup if I were getting a service 10 million times better than Esat.

if (eircom_ping =< (esat_ping - 100)){
    Get_ISDN();}

weh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

I would rather they weren't introducing these limits. I would prefer if they increased the capacity of their modem banks. But esat know they're the only company offering this service so your complaints are a waste of time.
    </font>

So you're just gonna sit there and take it?
    You propose that everyone else should too?

Esat will likely ignore a small number of cancelation threats but I doubt they want to lose a significant proportion of their customer base. The least you could do is add your voice.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Snowbat:
    So you're just gonna sit there and take it?

You propose that everyone else should too?
    </font>

Yes. Esat lose money from customers who stay on for 6-7 hours. They must pay by the minute to Eircom for this. The people who complain will be those demanding their "right" to stay on for this sort of time. In a way they will be glad to get complaints because it will mean their policy is working.

Instead you should complain to the ODTR. In the UK, the regulator has forced BT to provide a flat wholesale rate to ISPS. Hence you have a whole variety of flat rate providers. BT are now providing their own flat rate service.

In short, you're attacking the wrong target, the only decent ISP in the country.

[This message has been edited by Skeptic1 (edited 27-01-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭THE SPERMINATOR

Santa hit the nail on the head they say the brits take the **** and say nothing well in ireland we get ****ed over from every angle and still we put up with it.corupt goverment corupt business its everywhere you only have to look at joe soap and his nixers which he has to do coz he cant afford to live of a standard wage.But what gets my goat is even when they are ****ing you they dont even have the decency to be polite about it.

Screw em

Stone

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Did none of you read what I said? THEY DON'T GIVE A $HIT! People who stay connected for hours a day COST THEM MONEY. They were only doing this because they were able to write the loss off from heavy users from the profit they made from the Light users. An estimate I heard months back was that it was costing them 10 pounds a head to supply the service however I'm sure it's more than that now, thats why they had to up the price too from 17 quid to 20. This suits them now because the heavy users will either use the system less or pi$$ of somewhere else.

Even if they were to loose 50,000 subscribers their going to profit by it because those people are going to be the ones that cost them money to keep. So whats the point complaining? And the ODTR isn't going to do anything about it either because this service as you all know is still the best thing since sliced bread to happen on a national scale to increase Internet usage in Ireland.

Blade

[This message has been edited by Blade (edited 27-01-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Blade:
    People who stay connected for hours a day COST THEM MONEY.</font>
    You heard the man, let's fùck them hard!
    AHAHAHAHAAA!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dead{o}Santa:
    You heard the man, let's fùck them hard!
    AHAHAHAHAAA!
    </font>

Right. They will simply introduce a policy of terminating the accounts of those who "abuse" the system. Where would you go then. Remember you don't have them by the balls; they have you by the balls.

You should campaign to the ODTR to introduce flat rate wholesale for ISPs like they have in the UK.

UTVInternet has a flat-rate product which is available in the North but not here.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">They will simply introduce a policy of terminating the accounts of those who "abuse" the system</font>

Thats definatly a possibility too now that you mention it because I know that Direct TV in the States have such a policy in place where people who break a set download limit are penalized and their download speed is reduced down to 4k/sec for a few months, this is on their satellite Internet service where customers normally get around 50k/sec. Imagine if Esat reduced our download speeds to 1k/sec and put your phone number on a $hit list so that everyone else had priority to connect before you did??? Oh wait a minute it's worse than that now anyway!!!

Blade

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Blade:
    Thats definatly a possibility too now that you mention it because I know that Direct TV in the States [...]</font>

You don't have to go that far. Many of the British ISPs simply booted people off their system. This is not a big deal as they can switch to another flat-rate ISP. That is not an option here.

The thing is: the POTS is an obselete method for accessing the Internet. Every connection ties up the system even when there is no IP traffic. We should really be using xDSL and cable modems. These are available in [I think all] the other European countries, America (north and south), Asia. In fact most of the developed world. It is not in the interest of Eircom to introduce this. The ODTR was set up to protect consumers interest. It is them and the TDs who should hear your complaints.

The ODTR are well up on the technology but they lack the mandate to impose change. A petition or letter writing campaign would help here. Remember Eircom will try to claim that there is no demand for these "advanced" services.

With TDs, you will need to explain the technology but they will do anything if there's sufficient votes in it.

[This message has been edited by Skeptic1 (edited 27-01-2001).]

Right. They will simply introduce a policy of terminating the accounts of those who "abuse" the system</font>
    I was of course joking smile.gif

But IMO the worst times for using Esat SNL, are from 6pm to midnight, after that it's fine... which makes me wonder - are all night unattended downloads the real issue here? (at least in terms of performance, not so much a cost factor)
    Would Esat use these apparent savings on upgrading their own dialup service?, if that is the case - this may be a positive change.

What am I saying?! - Where's my Cable?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Sent.

Advertisement