Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL NoLimits Restrictions

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dead{o}Santa:

But IMO the worst times for using Esat SNL, are from 6pm to midnight, after that it's fine... which makes me wonder - are all night unattended downloads the real issue here? (at least in terms of performance, not so much a cost factor)
    </font>

Yes. As you say, there are two issues here. The first is that people logged on for hours prevent others from logging on. This is the line Esat will spin. The second is that every minute you're connected costs Esat money which is paid to Eircom (regardless of what time you're logged on). So the imposition of these limits serves two purposes from the point of view of Esat.

Eircom will lose a lot of money over this.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What am I saying?! - Where's my Cable?!</font>

Phone up your cable provider. If it's NTL, they are basing their pulling out of Ireland partly on the basis of the very low take up rate in the Tallaght area. 36,000 homes were upgraded. Only 1,000 homes wanted the digital service (or so NTL are saying).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Skeptic1:
    Phone up your cable provider. If it's NTL, they are basing their pulling out of Ireland partly on the basis of the very low take up rate in the Tallaght area. 36,000 homes were upgraded. Only 1,000 homes wanted the digital service (or so NTL are saying).</font>
    Yeah, it's NTL (dublin), and I've emailed them a few times - and was greeted mostly by: "dunno - maybe mid-2001", but then that was coming from some sales guy in Waterford, so it may not have been the most up-to-date info on the network rebuild.

/me is tempted to move to Tallaght smile.gif

SONIC.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

The way it is is this:
    *NTL have upgraded 36,000 homes, they thought it would cost £250m to do dublin but it's going to set them back £450. It cost's three times as much to develop cable in Ireland than elsewhere because NTL have to deal with seperate local authorites and thus costs more etc.
    *NTL want to save their cash to further develop the British market.
    *Finally, NTL have to upgrade something like 340,000 houses before March, as part of their contract with the government, or else they lose the contract, and the cable market developed by NTL is open country for the likes of Chorus and some such.

Nil Desperandum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

personaly their service is so crap I can't see this making a whole lot of difference. I can't remember the last time I was connected for more that 90 minutes without them disconnecting me. Acessing my mail seems to be getting harder and harder too. I've been moaning at them for ages and am seriously thinking of changing ISP. Without curtailing my activities much my bill would only go from 40 + vat to 50 every two months.

If you're worried about that "can't reconnect for 10 mins" ruining your downloads, you can set the dialer on most automatic downloaders to wait this long. Mine's set to try every 15 secs 100 times atm, but all I have to do is but in a bigger number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

ITS TOTAL PANTS frown.gif

/me just found the Terms and Conditions for the contract

i dunno if someone already posted this -cant be arsed reading all that spel :P
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">2. Service
    2.1 For Technical, operational, and commercial reasons we shall be entitled to vary the Service and any aspect thereof at any time.</font>

basically - no breech of contract
    there arses are well covered frown.gif

Frikkin beeothces
    btw - Iuse a piece of software called ShutDown Pro to diss me at 7:58 every morning- very handy.

GRR
    y do i alwyas have to edit this to show my sig pic frown.gif
    the code is rite :/

Ph33r CATBERT !!! catbert.gif

[This message has been edited by StrataGIST (edited 28-01-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

'NoLimits Restrictions' - umm that makes sense alright. Although we're being fu<ked over atm I'll still be happy enough with £80-100 a month ADSL whenever I get it - I'm spending nigh on 300 a month at the moment for a service thats four times slower or so, and is metered (ISDN).

sig.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

Here's my prediction:

BT, Esat's parent company is heavily in debt due to their stupid purchase of 3G licences. They will be putting pressure on their subsidiaries to cut unprofitable services. The recent restrictions on nolimits, I think, is an example of this. As time goes on, they will remove the service altogether.

Eircom can make £400 a month from teleworkers using hi-speed/ISDN lines. There is no commercial pressure to introduce DSL. In more technologically advanced countries there there has been political pressure to introduce DSL/cable modems etc. This political pressure does not exist here, however. Eircom was recently privatised. The pressure here is on share price and profitability. DSL is simply not an issue here. Introducing DSL would directly impinge on Eircom's leased line and ISDN products. If I was a shareholder I would be against this. Eircom have 500,000 shareholders in this country. Eircom are jacking off over Internet users in this country and it is their duty to shareholders to do so.

Eircom have priced their local loop bitstream access in such a way that there will be insufficient market for third parties. So even if people are willing to pay £100/month it simply won't be offered.

The whole issue of broadband into the home is not understood here (by the political classes).

Educate your politicians. Put pressure on the ODTR (phone number in the book). A fax campaign might be an idea.

Don't attack the one "flat-rate" ISP in operation here. The use of disconnecting software has partly brought about this state of affairs by customers. If you p*ss them off, they will simply increase the restrictions or remove the service altogether. This has happened in the UK. There is less danger now in the UK because OFFTEL has forced BT to introduce flat rate wholesale pricing for ISPs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Energizer1

AAAAHHHHHH!!! ****ing esat!! ****ty Connection!!!! AAAAAHHHH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

Santa: I reckon you should get isdn and start playing defence smile.gif

The rest of you i recommend changing back over to eircom or whoever tongue.gif

Recollect when the sevice first came out and it was grand then you lot came along ......

Advertisement