Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you se ESAT saying this?

• 01-02-2001 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭

I can.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/16539.html

Sorry, but this doesn't actually make sense does it?
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    An email dispatched last night said: "It has become clear to us through your pattern of Internet use that the PlusNet account to which you are subscribed is not suitable for your needs. Your use of our service is not treating fairly a product that was set up for reasonable unmetered access and was never intended to provide unlimited Internet access.
    </font>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

Some muppet elsewhere on this board would again argue 'well they are a private company and do what they want'.

That story is mad, I actually onlt came back with this url in my clipboard to add it to my previous post ;-)

You beat me to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I can't

ESHAT are here long-term and that would alienate too many customers. I know I'd leave their mobile service and prolly convince a lot of the lads to do it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭THE SPERMINATOR

Do ppl realy leave there pc`s online 24/7 ?

Stone biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gunn4r:
    Some muppet elsewhere on this board would again argue 'well they are a private company and do what they want'.</font>

I said something along those lines so I guess you are calling me a muppet.

I ask you this: If, say esat, were to send you an email like this, what would you do (apart from whine on this board)? Jump up and down demanding your "right" to unmetered access? Picket outside their offices?

[This message has been edited by Skeptic1 (edited 02-02-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

No, but if you signed a contract and are paying for an unmetered service then you are entitled to it no-matter what and they have to give it to you and live with it. Unfortunately there's always small print

glassesprv.gif
    Sweeet

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Q_Ball:
    No, but if you signed a contract and are paying for an unmetered service then you are entitled to it no-matter what and they have to give it to you and live with it. Unfortunately there's always small print</font>

The main reason for my earlier quote was being called a muppet by someone who had nothing to say to my posting on the other thread.

Corporations always try to shaft their customers if they can. The thing that holds them back is if there is competition and their customers walk. For example, I use Eircell for mobile because esats coverage is sh*te.

I think people are upset because esat are the best value isp for medium/heavy use. Now they're becomming less good value but we're still stuck with it as the alternative is per minute billing with Eircom (which never cuts you off!)

I agree, however, that the PlusNet message is unlikely because of the high profile of Esat in Ireland.

Until decent competition is introduced, the internet access situation will gradually get worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

has anyone ever read the contract?

they reserve the right to change the service at any time, read the contract, they didnt force u to sign up for the service.

i know that this is all a load of pants, but in fairness(they have got to make money).

iv never been dropped once, just so u know!!
    :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

>>guess you are calling me a muppet.

Yup. I dont think that simply because a company is private they should basically renage on their basic terms and conditions.

>>I ask you this: If, say esat, were to send >>you an email like this, what would you do >>(apart from whine on this board)? Jump up >>and down demanding your "right" to >>unmetered access? Picket outside their >>offices?

Ahem , this is a discussion board and I do not consider my posts whining. I wouldnt picket their offices , I have called them many times both about the disconnections and the 3 hour cut off. Incidentally last nite I was getting dropped about every hour like clockwork. What should I do about that sit back and go 'ah well they are a private company'? **** that I am gonna ring and complain.
    Ireland has a ****ed up situation re:home internet use and I think that it is only right that people phone / email organisations to try and get the best deal they can for internet use. Also I think it is fair enough to make such posts on this discussion board, life aint all peaches and cream and if I am a so called whiner then so is half this board.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gunn4r:

Ireland has a ****ed up situation re:home internet use and I think that it is only right that people phone / email organisations to try and get the best deal they can for internet use.
    </font>

I agree with this. In the Irish Times today there's a report on a recent Nielsen Ratings survey, Ireland came fourth lowest of 14 countries in terms of Internet penetration into homes at 22%.

http://scripts.ireland.com/technology/newsshowall.cfm?ID=1362
    (full list of countries in the print edition- business section)

Also very low was average time spend online at 4 hours a month.

Sweden came highest on internet penetration and Canada came highest with time spent online.

Irland came highest with banner ad click-through.

The pattern seems to follow the availability of flat-rate broadband in the various countries. In Sweden, they would laugh at what Esat are offering.

Advertisement