Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a PC/Notebook Network different than a Pc2Pc?

Options
  • 24-02-2002 5:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭

This is via a crossover.
    I have often setup networks with a crossover cable and it works straight away as it should but this Win98 pc and WinME notebook just wont see each other and i know the cable works as i have tested it on pc2pc and had a backup anyways, both network cards are installed and are reported to work correctly, the green light even comes on, on both of them, i assumed this would indicate success..but heh, i guess not.

The network card in the notebok is pcmcia, if that makes any difference.

[*]I install both network cards, and specify a static IP and a subnet mask for each.
    [*]I make sure file and print sharing is turned on in both puters
    [*]I make sure both workgroup names are the same
    [*]i try to share the fixed drives

But in network connections, the only computer they can see on the network is themselves.

I am lost..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭wintermute

There should be no difference.

Two things that I would suggest are:

1. Can you prove that your hardware is working?

Try connecting the laptop to a different PC, use a different PCMCIA card etc.

This combined with the fact that you have proved that your cable is good rules out any physical connectivity issues.

Can you PING once host from the other?

If you can PING each host from the other but can't do much else then check your networking settings for something stupid (i.e. typo in the WORKGROUP field etc.)

Otherwise, unless I'm overlooking something simple, I think it might be an obscure issue with the networking configuration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

make sure that the network cards are working in control pannel -> system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Guys the cards are working, i specified the ips and subnet masks in network connections and in the device manager they are reported as working and like i said the green light on each lights up which suggests that they are working, i have one other 3com nic that i will try.

Thanks for you replys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

Just to be double sure:

Make sure both pc's have
    • The same workgroup
    • Client for Microsoft Networks
    • TCP/IP

PC 1

Set the TCP/IP Settings as follows:

IP: 10.0.0.1
      Subnet Mask: 255.0.0.0

PC 2

Set the TCP/IP Settings as follows:

IP: 10.0.0.2
      Subnet Mask: 255.0.0.0

Once you've set both of them,

on PC 1, try pinging PC 2 in the command prompt, "ping 10.0.0.2", If you've no response, then you've most likely got a hardware / cable problem.

Never - ever trust the light ;)

Rent

Advertisement