Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what where they thinking?

Options
  • 24-02-2002 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

battleoftheboynesiteinterperativeandheritagecentre.ie

yeah ... do they realise their IP address would be easier to type than that!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Wow the URL actually works

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

let me guess ... you could copied and pasted it in right ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

Originally posted by nahdoic
    battleoftheboynesiteinterperativeandheritagecentre.ie

yeah ... do they realise their IP address would be easier to type than that!?

Wow!
    And there was me thinking what www.nationalmarketingandsalesawards.com was bad.

Warning: dodgy flash on that site...

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

I quite liked irishnationwideinternationalfinancialservices.ie until I saw irishnationwidemoneybrokersandtreasuryservices.ie, but I think it was irishnationwidetaxationandfinancialplanningservices.ie that took the biscuit.

source: http://whoisireland.com/i-ienoweblist.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Irish_Ranger_IR

OMG, what a long url,

I would get board typing that, as I am of this.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Probably registered by some overzealous droid or marketing bunny. On the other hand, someone may have done it for a laugh as someone else was footing the expense of the registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Maybe we should start a 'competition' for the most ridiculous domain name?
    Any takers?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by The Corinthian
    Probably registered by some overzealous droid or marketing bunny. On the other hand, someone may have done it for a laugh as someone else was footing the expense of the registration.

Standard enough intellectual property tactic - register all variations of the company name. I see it more commonly with the .com domains though most of these are being deleted now as a waste of money.

The most stupid thing about this kind of intellectual property activity is that the .ie domain is supposed to be a managed tld and only those who are entitled to the domain should be able to register it. This means that those tossers have wasted their money. Although I do consider the .ie tld to be a major waste of money for any company. :)

At the moment I am runing the monthly reindexing spiders for the .ie section of WhoisIreland.com. The interesting pattern that I can see is that a lot of .ie websites have not been modified or updated for years. Despite the lies from IEDR, there are cases of cyberwarehousing that stand out. Most of the domains that were acquired in this manner seem to be unused since the day they were registered. The naff generic names seem to be the least used. I think that the reason for this is that it takes a lot more branding and business sense to turn a generic domain name into a marketable brand. Most of the grabs for generic sounding .ie domains were by people whose ambition, or more accurately dotcom greed, exceeded their abilities and finance.

One of the biggest areas for this kind of landgrab has been in the directory/search engine area. As the people here who run search engines and directories will tell you, it can be very hard work. :)

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement