Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Station2/Xbox on my Monitor

Options
  • 24-02-2002 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭

The only good television in the house is a Wega, but next september i go to college and i doubt the rest of my family would appreciate it if i lugged it with me, so if i connect my consoles to my PC monitor, will i get a picture upgrade/downgrade?

Im thinking of getting the following, it seems pretty cool.
    http://www.viewsonic.com/products/video_vb50hrtv.cfm

Feedback appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

pretty much everything else is a downgrade from a wega, but for $130 (seems to be $100 everywhere else) that piece of kit seems pretty decent, refresh rates seem alright, and i cant see anything major missing from the specs that you might be needing... might be best to have a look around for more reviews than their 4/5, 5/5 listed ratings though.

have to say seems a much better alternative than a tvtuner type card though, as most of those still require you to have a decent video card to shift images around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Thanks Kali for the info.
    Im not going to use a Tv tuner card, i just want a simple an direct method to use the monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

It seems to take NTSC input thoughh.
    Are you consoles NTSC or PAL?
    Alos seems to be very american. Possibly needs a 110-220V transformer too.
    I've not bothered to see if there's an EU verison available yet (on 28K atm)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Is the frequency range (55.25 - 801.25 MHz) compatible with the Irish (European) frequency range?

I know there's a big difference between Irish and Japanese frequency ranges... Dunno about American though..

Anothr rthing I noticed when I was in the US last week, they don't seem to use SCART at all.. It's nearly all composite and S-Video.. So you wouldn't be able to hook up your SCART devices without a converter.

Yes you are right SyxPak, but the Xbox and GC run "Pal 60" would that be the same at NTSC, but my Playstation is PAL.

What about these devices.

Playstation 2 VGA Box

AV Convertor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

BTW: http://www.GadgetGuys.com rated AverMedia's TV Box much higher.. More inputs etc..

Check out the European Aver TV Box
    Here
    which goes up to 800x600..

Worth a look anyway..

These are all basically TV tuners though.. you might be better off going ito 'Game' and getting yourself a cheap Hauppage TV tuner card, which'd be simplicity itself to hook up your PS2 to..

(My Hauppage card cost me a meagre 39 quid a couple of years ago..)

Originally posted by Krusty_Clown
    These are all basically TV tuners though..

Yeah but in an internal one you need the pc on, some processing power and you will probably end up with some image quality loss by the time it is shifted around your pc and put onto the montior, at least with an external box, it can run independantly and gives direct access to the monitor.

[ps]thanks for the advice.

Advertisement