Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ClareWAN meeting.

• 24-02-2002 8:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

ClareWAN seminar:

ClareWAN is holding a seminar on the Thursday the 28th of February from 7pm until 8:30pm, at the Temple Gate Hotel in Ennis. A short presentation and demonstration will be followed by a question and answer session.

ClareWAN is a non-profit initiative to build a wireless WAN (wide area network) spanning Co. Clare linking the computers of residents and businesses together. The network will provide a medium to collaborate, communicate and exchange information with members. In the long term ClareWAN will be able to provide low cost and fast Internet access to all covered areas.

At present there is no broadband (fast) Internet access available to the general public in Co. Clare, and this situation does not appear to be going to change in the near to medium future. Using wireless technology it is possible to create an infrastructure with a relatively low cost, and as no wires are required it makes reaching rural areas possible. It is planned that this network will be connected to the Internet, providing members with an always on connection to the Internet as well as being able to exchange data with other members directly.

The seminar will include a presentation outlining the general concept and requirements of the project.

For more information please email clarewan@uuuppz.com.

- Evert Bopp (087-7847194) Evert@Bite-ltd.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭matthiku

I wonder if there is any update on this topic available.

Secondly, there was a DSL test project in Ennis earlier this year with about 200 households on the Tulla Road involved. Does anybody knows anything about that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭matthiku

Thanks!
    Helpful link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

posting here because ill never get a reply on the WAN site :)

How many people do we need around the Ennis area ?
    How much (average) does it cost ?
    What else do we need ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Originally posted by conZ
    How many people do we need around the Ennis area ?

As many as possible!
    How much (average) does it cost ?

About 150-200 Euros in hardware for a basic setup...
    What else do we need ?

Your pressence at the next MidWestWAN meeting on October 2nd!
    (www.midwestwan.org - www.clarewan.com)

• Advertisement

do we need to set up an aerial around town ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Nope, everyone needs their own!
    Have a look on www>irishwan.org for full setup descriptions.
    In the meantime I will stick ye on the ClareWAN mailing list if that's ok?

taught I already signed up for it.
    Yep, put me on.
    Will give a gook at that IrishWAN site now, see if i can make sense of it :)
    conZ@ennismail.ie

btw, check your PM's there mayhem#

Advertisement