Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Gatsby

Options
  • 25-02-2002 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭

Has anyone read The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald. Its one of those cheap penguine classics (99p). I'veheard that its a tough read. Is this true? Do you recommend it? It isn't that long and I was thinking of reading it before I read Ulysses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Not a difficult read. Think it used to be part of the junior cert curriculum? Sure it wouldn't hurt you to pick up a copy and read it.

If you want a return for your money though, I'd recommend John Steinbeck's Cannery Row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

it's a good book and not a tough read at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 shaw

The great gatsby is very good but I don't know about tackling Ullyses, unless your idea of fun is negotiating between a dictionary, a Ullyses reference book, an anthology of ancient greek tales and the novel itself. I tried it before and got bored after the first 20 pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 stjohn smythe

forgive any incorrect spellings. ulysees is a cinch! a delight to read. obvious references but an author can only do so much. as for the great gatsby, you can read it if you have a half hour to spare. toilet literature, perhaps?

before you insinuate me having never read ulysees, i think you should brush up a bit on your grammar, my friend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 shaw

You are the one who is making accusations about yourself not reading the novel. A sign of guilt methinks!

liar! i shall hesitate not to disembowl you after further insolence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Khynareth

Back to the point. The Great Gatsby is cool. Very interesting in matters of settings and character psychology, while still remaining an easy read. Not one of my favourite books, but still a very enriching one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I though the great gatsby was brilliant.

If i described it in 1 word i would use the word 'Enthralled'.

Different strokes for different folks, but for 99p you cant go wrong!

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

enthralling perhaps?

• Advertisement
Advertisement