Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT 'to slash broadband costs'

Options
  • 25-02-2002 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭

The BT spokesman declined to give further details of the price cuts ahead of the formal announcement, which is being tipped by analysts to take place on Tuesday.

But a report in the Sunday Times newspaper said BT would cut the wholesale price it charges to internet service providers (ISPs) to less than £20 a month.

This, in turn, would enable ISPs such as Freeserve and AOL to cut their monthly subscription fee to consumers to less than £30 a month, the paper said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_1839000/1839151.stm

*sigh*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

City News this morning...

'BT is to cut its wholesale price for broadband services from £30 to £14.75 from April 1st to kick start interest in high speed Internet access in the UK.'

Blows any rationale behind eircom's forseen pricing structure for i-Stream out of the water. Interesting - that date!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Ye gods, that's some price!

Well, what about it Eircom?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

i wonder, is there a cap with BT's new price ?

Said Mr Verwaayen: "This is a stretching programme, but achievable. Through substantial reductions in the cost of providing service we can set prices that will stimulate the market strongly, and make money on it. This is a sustainable business model."

Now imagine Eircom's profit on the pricing they were suggesting...

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Hi

the UK£14.75 ex vat price is a wholesale price to other isp's etc etc

as the 'typical' markup is 100% that would mean the retail price is likely to be

UK£14.75 x 2 = UK£29.50

+VAT@17.5% = UK£34.66

Thats IR£44 or €56 after the 100% markup and VAT

We would pay that to RENT 1.2 highspeed lines €44.55 including VAT will rent you one highspeed line without allowing any traffic out.

Population coverage for ADSL in the UK is now 70% where we do not even have 100% coverage for ISDN.

Wait till the dissident republicans in south Armagh find out how valuable bandwidth is in the sourth, expect €ircon staked out on the border on the lookout for bandits..... sorry bandwidths

:confused:

M

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

Wait till the dissident republicans in south Armagh find out how valuable bandwidth is in the sourth, expect €ircon staked out on the border on the lookout for bandits..... sorry bandwidths

ROFL

Is that a router under your haystack?

South Armagh becomes

'Bandwidth Country'

Hi Muck,

I could be wrong, but I get the impression that the UK ISP's will be retailing the product for less than GBP£30, and I would think that price would be inclusive of VAT. (I can't see ISP's going for 100% markup when at least one ISP is /already/ retailing at GBP£29.99 (€50).)

Eircom's originally proposed WHOLESALE price would appear to have been (I'm trying to confirm this) about IEP£75 (€95), or roughly double the proposed RETAIL prices in the UK. Yes, you read that right.

adam

Oh Well

Back to watching paint dry as I download

Tiocfaidh Ár Lá-tency

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Hi Muck,

I could be wrong, but I get the impression that the UK ISP's will be retailing the product for less than GBP£30, and I would think that price would be inclusive of VAT. (I can't see ISP's going for 100% markup when at least one ISP is /already/ retailing at GBP£29.99 (?50).)

adam

From my friend in East Kilbride (just outside Glasgow). He got cable yesterday, and here's what he's paying:

£25 per month with a £25 install fee, courtesy of Telewest Communications

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

excellent, when i move out of my place where i have free dsl, i can get it at 30 quid a month

how will i ever cope??????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Originally posted by Lemming

From my friend in East Kilbride (just outside Glasgow). He got cable yesterday, and here's what he's paying:

£25 per month with a £25 install fee, courtesy of Telewest Communications

aye BlueYonder

l33t for games i hear

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by StrataGIST

aye BlueYonder

l33t for games i hear

Duh - what for games? I can't understand this geek-speak! :)

Duh - what for games? I can't understand this geek-speak! :)

l33t == Elite. It's not geek-speak, it's hAx0r-speak. And a haX0r is a script-kiddy. Also known as a cracker? :)

adam

We were talking about DSL and not cable anyway, apart form the fact that the respondents could't spell they couldn't read either it seems?

M

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Muck
    We were talking about DSL and not cable anyway, apart form the fact that the respondents could't spell they couldn't read either it seems?

M

Why .. thank you for that condescending insult.

I was going to point out that Cable IS DSL's main rival, and therefore some compartive information would be very much relevant, but I don't think I will now.

I suppose one could point out that cable is normally sold at a discount to DSL, in a comparison of nominally like for like bandwidth

What would that discout be for a 512down 128up service?

Note that NTL in its LIMITED service area is pricing (crudely) at 30% relative to eircom if not less.

Something has to give it seems.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭neverhappen

ireland.com

ireland.com again

RTE aertel

Should IrelandOffline be making a press release on this topic, if only to try and get a mention in some of the reports ?

"There's our chance of being the e-hub of europe down the swanee" - that sort of thing.

edit..

few more links...

enn

enn again

bus and finance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 mackattack

A friend of mine sent this address to me.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/24205.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

"The UK no longer needs to be the poor man of Europe for Broadband high-speed, always on Internet access. This long awaited price point is now set to make Broadband Britain fly."

That would make IRELAND this third world cousin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

We is Starvin' Marvin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ is the bible as far as UK broadband is concerned. From hardware to ISP's. (but you all knew that already!)

You should be asking about Wires Only ADSL. You will get Eircom ADSL, and sign 12 month contracts and they quality could be awful?

I ordered Wires Only from an ISP called Eclipse the other day. I fax them order form. They speak to BT and get that side of things sorted out. No engineers in my house, because its Wires only I can can sort it myself (plug in 'fancy plugs' into existing phone socket'). I can use my own modem or router, no rip off USB rubbish. I choose Eclipse cos they are great now, but its only a min term of a month - so if they go ****e I can move at no notice .

In a word l33t :)

Advertisement