Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it fuct

• 25-02-2002 10:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

The other night out of the blue my pc shuts down and starts beeping rapidly.

I start to smell bad burning, and see a small amount of smoke. So I power down, open the case and notice that the fan on my chip has come loose. Don't ask me how the **** it did. The CPU was extremely hot to touch.

So I left it to settle overnight, came back the chip was still hot heh. But I put the fan back on and booted it up, and it worked.

Anyone know will the chip be permanently damaged or will its lifespawn be decreased ? can I expect it to conk out in the near future.

Any advice appreciated.

it's an AMD850 with A7V MB and fop38 fan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

I start to smell bad burning, and see a small amount of smoke.

Where there any burn marks? i.e on the chip / fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Did you even bother to read the big obvious notice at the top of the HW Tweaking forum ?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37376

This is not a hardware tech support forum.
    Moving thread...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Well since I didn't see the incident, I'm not sure where the smoke came from, perhaps it came from the power supply? I don't think the cpu fan coming loose caused the smoke, if any smoke came from your cpu, it would mean that it has burned out, so quite obviously its something besides your cpu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Odian

the fan on my chip has come loose

Sounds stupid,things just dont happen,well not that kinda thing,I did that once when i got my first pc,opened it up,took all the wires and all away and put them all back in again.

powered up,5 secs later,smoke bursting out of the case! all the wires and all just melted into each other :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Sisofts Sandra program can do a burn in wizard ,if u need to know that bad it can stress the chip and see if it fails .
    Caution if it fails its dead .
    Wonder how many people actually do that test?:)
    But if its working you should be ok ,might want to get a new fan just so know its new and hasnt failed on you.
    Kdja

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

there's a specific reason alright why the fan came off, there's a tiny bit of plastic missing where the clip is supposed to clip onto, there's just enuff left to hang the clip down but it must have come off over time. probably a problem you can't fix without getting a new motherboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I had a CPU burnout last month, long story, but there was also smoke - from the paper tag underneath, where it touched the motherboards' temp sensor. The replacement also started overheating, produced smoke and a scorch mark from it's paper tag but I caught the problem in time to stop it heading to overclock heaven. Still works perfectly.
    Just theorising were the smoke came from in this case.

Advertisement