Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

open source bulletin boards

• 25-02-2002 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, are there any open source bulletin boards that would rival ubb / vbulletin in terms of features and aesthetic niceness? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I hear YaBB is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Dunno if phpBB is open source or not?

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Originally posted by Stephen
    I hear YaBB is nice.
    It's muck. I think phpBB is open source, but I'm not 100% sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Draco
    It's muck. I thinl phpBB is open source, but I'm not 100% sure.

Nope, doesn't look like it. It says it aims to be 'one of the most customizable forums packages available today', but doesn't specify open source. There's also:

Future Development Discussion
    This is a forum for the discussion and planning of upcoming versions of phpBB. Only offical phpBB developers can post here.

So obviously you register or prove yourself as a developer. Not fitting of the open source tag :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We're looking at ways of making boards.ie kinda open source.
    I'll get back to you on it.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

We're looking at ways of making boards.ie kinda open source.

Nuvver app perhaps? Jelsoft wouldn't take to kindly to it.

They're a right shower actually, they set an IP monkey on me recently, simply because I had put the wrong domain name in my registration. The reasonable thing to do would have been to send a polite email asking if I was registered, and if I wasn't, would I please do so. /Then/ they should set the wolves on people. But no, they dove straight in with one of those arsehole agents. He had Esq. after his name, I was really frightened.

I hate IP "agents". Dregs of society.

adam

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If the mountain (of code) cant go to Mohommad (people who want to help) then there might be another way for it to work but right now we are still looking at the idea.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

Well, I went for phpBB and it's absoultely amazing, very easy to set up and great to customize. :D Don't know how easy it'd be to convert databases from UBB to phpBB if you were interested, but I saw conversion applications on freshmeat.

But does it have all the features that VBB has?

Also, I'm not sure we'd move so soon again simply to run on open source. As it is we can see all the source we want and we are considering letting trusted others edit source on the boards.ie box (in a secured fashion).

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Why not just set up a CVS server, and then submitters is restricted access?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Originally posted by DeVore
    But does it have all the features that VBB has?
    Not yet. They're on release candidate 3 for version 2 and they reckon by version 2.1 they'll have all the features of VBB and a few more to boot. I have to say it was a piece of píss to set up.

hobbes we're going to do that anyway (Regi is on a CVS rampage).

I think the trouble is testing any new code. We cant give out the code we have purchased for VBB for people to test on so we might have to contain it on the one webserver.

I'll have to talk to them about what they will and wont allow us to do.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Originally posted by Draco
    It's muck. I think phpBB is open source, but I'm not 100% sure.

NO WAY MAN!

YaBB was the Bus

the reason it can be so slow is cos people don't use MOD PERL!!!

phpBB2 is very nice actually ,, only problems really are having to learn YET ANOTHER PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE

YAPL :p

Advertisement