Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Girly hour: Whats the deal?

Options
  • 25-02-2002 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

OK at the risk of getting very unpopular very fast, I'm gonna rant on about the Girly Hour. Why does this show exist with its current formula? Surely selecting music purely based on the chromosome count of the lead singer is irrelevant and obsolete? Should this show not be playing music based purely on merit or perhaps the topic of the day (the show which featured female singers from the 80's was novel, not to my taste, but still worthwhile). Its not exactly the case that there has been heinous discrimination against women in the music scene, at least in this decade, that would warrant this shows 'positive discrimination'.

But hark, I hear you cry in the collective outraged voice of every schoolchild who ever sensed some kind of disparity "But the boys have their own show!", and yes you are correct, they do, but their show is about issues that effect men and other various items of interest to men (and many women too I would guess). I would welcome a similar show for the ladies that would replace the jaded format of the current show.
    After all we would not accept a show which only promoted white artists or able bodied singers would we? Now before any of you start screaming sexist or misogynist at me, please re-read the preceding text (possibly with the assistance of an adult) and then address your comments to the nearest brick wall.

I would, however, welcome any intelligent comment. Perhaps I'm all mixed up on this subject, maybe I just don't get it? Let me know what you think.....

Ger.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭joey D

girls just wanna have fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Originally posted by GerK
    Its not exactly the case that there has been heinous discrimination against women in the music scene, at least in this decade, that would warrant this shows 'positive discrimination'.

There are lots of people who would argue that there has been discrimination against women in the music industry, specifically women *musicians* rather than singers. Maybe the girly show should concentrate a bit more on female instrumentalists and all-girl bands.
    After all we would not accept a show which only promoted white artists or able bodied singers would we?
    [/B]

No, but there are plenty of shows and stations dedicated to black music. (Are there enough successful disabled musicians to warrant a show? A one-off special wold be kind of cool, although it would probably end up being mostly made up of blind blues singers, of which there seem to be loads).

I don't think there's any harm in a female-orieneted show, I don't think it's discriminatory, just celebratory.

By the way, I'm about to post some info about an all-female festival in London in August, at the risk of being booed out off the boards by the fellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

OK at the risk of getting very unpopular very fast, I'm gonna rant on about the Girly Hour. Why does this show exist with its current formula? Surely selecting music purely based on the chromosome count of the lead singer is irrelevant and obsolete? Should this show not be playing music based purely on merit or perhaps the topic of the day (the show which featured female singers from the 80's was novel, not to my taste, but still worthwhile). Its not exactly the case that there has been heinous discrimination against women in the music scene, at least in this decade, that would warrant this shows 'positive discrimination'.

But hark, I hear you cry in the collective outraged voice of every schoolchild who ever sensed some kind of disparity "But the boys have their own show!", and yes you are correct, they do, but their show is about issues that effect men and other various items of interest to men (and many women too I would guess). I would welcome a similar show for the ladies that would replace the jaded format of the current show.
    After all we would not accept a show which only promoted white artists or able bodied singers would we? Now before any of you start screaming sexist or misogynist at me, please re-read the preceding text (possibly with the assistance of an adult) and then address your comments to the nearest brick wall.

I would, however, welcome any intelligent comment. Perhaps I'm all mixed up on this subject, maybe I just don't get it? Let me know what you think.....

Ger.

i think you need to either learn how to retune a radio, or learn to become more tolerant and dont be such a self righteous twat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭GerK

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan

i think you need to either learn how to retune a radio, or learn to become more tolerant and dont be such a self righteous twat

I *DID* ask for intelligent comment. Lolo, kindly, complied you however should follow my advice and address your kind of unproductive drivel to the nearest brick wall as I stated in my post.

If you truly believe that people should look the other way and keep commentary to themselves then perhaps you should follow your own advice and point your browser somewhere else and not be such book burning 'twat'.

I think failure to recognise ones own hypocrisy is one of the greatest human failings, a failing you appear to be rich in.

Ger.

Originally posted by Lolo

There are lots of people who would argue that there has been discrimination against women in the music industry, specifically women *musicians* rather than singers. Maybe the girly show should concentrate a bit more on female instrumentalists and all-girl bands.

Lolo, well said, I don't see any reason why bands with female musicians should be excluded, which was part of the intended thrust of my post. I just think the scope of the show is unnecessarily narrow, why exclude bands who have influential female members?
    I was going to cite examples but found the only bands I could think of were Ash and Smashing Pumpkins, there MUST be better examples I am unaware of. That is something a broader show could rectify, by educating the likes of myself in this area.

Ger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Sinister Pete

I would like to point out that beyond paying hommage to the grrls of rock (a good thing indeed), The Girly Hour is the only music show in the entire country hosted by two women (and a fine pair they are!). Another Phantom first. Don't like it? Don't listen. We love 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

How about a show for Women who dress up as men who think they're women? Bunty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Hear Hear Pete.

24 x 7 = 168 hours a week. One hundred and sixty-eight.

1 hour a week is all that the girlie hour takes up. Think about it. A very simplistic point I know but just bear it in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Wamphyri

Fair comments all round.
    The majority of music played on Phantom is male vocals so it's not a bad thing to redress the balance. It's a great show and diserves the air time.

apologies for any mis spelling - it's a weakness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Originally posted by Sinister Pete
    The Girly Hour is the only music show in the entire country hosted by two women (and a fine pair they are!). Another Phantom first.

It might be the only one in the country right now, but it's hardly a first - if you cast your mind back to the heydey of Radioactive in the early 90s there were at least 3 shows hosted by multiple wimmin.

As for bands with female instrumentalists (as opposed to singers), these immediately pop into my heads, although there are loads more:

Sonic Youth
    The Cramps
    The Make Up
    Talking Heads
    The Fall (when Brix was in 'em)
    My Bloody Valentine

As well as all the s*h*i*t hot musicians who also sing, e.g. Kim Deal, Georgia from Yo La Tengo, Jennifer from Royal Trux, plus the legions of all-female bands from the Raincoats to Electrelane to the GoGos...

I'm sure loads of these have already been played on the Girlie Show.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Sinister Pete
    Don't like it? Don't listen. We love 'em.

Jeez Pete that seems to be your answer to EVERY criticism made about the station, do you guys have a database of canned answers? Unless you believe that every show is perfect in its current format and no change will ever be necessary the I would hopee that you would value input.

I offer my comments to give feedback about the station and its shows and MAYBE some of the ideas and comments I make or that are generated in response to my post could be used for the good of the station, if you don't want to develop then don't listen to your fans, or maybe you only listen to sycophantic praise, if so perhaps I should refrain from offering my opinions in future?

Respectfully,

Ger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Ger,

Think youre missing the point of what the Sinister one is saying here. The basic thing is that the Girlie Hour has proved to be very popular. In fact, way more popular than we though it would be. The programme was only ever intended for a short run and has been extended by its demand. Perhaps you may not like it, but many others do. All comments are always welcome, but in the end, not every programme will be to everyones liking and thats where choice comes in. It is impossible to keep everyone happy, so its just a matter of doing the best you can and keeping the most people happy that you can.

Its most certainly not a "canned answer" as you state. Far from it. And isnt it amazing how "comments" are just "comments", while positive "comment" becomes "sycophantic praise". Odd that.

Offer whatever opinions you want, and they are always heeded, but main point being to remember that it doesnt neccessarily mean we agree with them!

Hope that clarifies,

Regards,

Pete Reed

Originally posted by Pete Reed
    Its most certainly not a "canned answer" as you state. Far from it. And isnt it amazing how "comments" are just "comments", while positive "comment" becomes "sycophantic praise". Odd that.

You busted me on that one. Good call :D

You gotta admit that "don't listen then!" is a common response on this board, and its not a very helpfull one.

I never said I didn't like the show, or the DJ's (they are great) just the narrow focus. If its popular, then like I said, maybe I'm all mixed up on the subject.

Thanks for takin' the time to post a constructive reply tho.

Ger.

Advertisement