Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN problem

Options
  • 25-02-2002 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭

I got an asus TA last week and got isdn installed by eircom on friday morning . To cut a long strory short internet explorer and netscape won't work when i connect on my new line at either 56k or 64k . I can use irc, msn messenger and can just about play online games but am only getting about 1.5k/2k per second. However if i connect as normal over my old phone line everything works as normal so i'm thinking its either some setting i need to change to use isdn(hopefully) or there is something wrong with the new line .

I'll be delighted if its something simple/obvious causing this problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by sixpack's little hat
    To cut a long strory short internet explorer and netscape won't work when i connect on my new line at either 56k or 64k .

Seeing as you can still use irc and them, it's probably just some configuration setting in IE and netscape or in your DUN. Double check them
    I can use irc, msn messenger and can just about play online games but am only getting about 1.5k/2k per second.

Not too surprising, especially if you are connecting during the day. Double check your modem settings just to be sure (make sure you're not connecting at 36kbps or something).

Welcome to the eircom dominated world of ISDN! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

Originally posted by seamus

Seeing as you can still use irc and them, it's probably just some configuration setting in IE and netscape or in your DUN. Double check them

Pardon my ignorance but DUN would be??

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sorry, Dial-up Networking. (My Cumputor->Dial-up Networking)

:)

yeah i have looked around at different settings like them but i can't see anything that stands out as causing the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

i'd suggest setting IE to "dial internet connection manualy" in the ie settings

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

the asuscom is a bit borked with winxp - I had the same problems. What OS are you running. Make sure to check the website for new drivers. Probably a drivers problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

got a firewall installed ?

me asus ta works smashingly well on xp btw - even using the generic xp drivers - not the asus ones on the disc ;)

i'm using xp and the card is an Asus P-IN100-ST-D. I've looked at the website and the drivers they have are the same as the ones i got on the disc . Where would i get the generic drivers ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

If your card will respond with ati strings then it is 'not' a driver issue ok?
    I would probably suggest looking that the com port settings as in there is probably a setting that is munching your connection speed right down or something similar.....

dmesg | head -n 20 > head_20.log

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭wintermute

Well, if it's just your web browsers acting up then perhaps it may be an issue with the proxy server settings?

You didn't mention if your "old phone line" was with a different provider. If this is so then maybe your browsers are configured to use that provider's proxy settings and not Eircom's.

This is not exactly your DUN settings, as mentioned previously - it's a specific setting in Explorer and Netscape

In Explorer:

Tools --> Internet Options --> Conections --> LAN Settings

Uncheck all boxes - this will bypass any proxy setting.

Just a thought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Actually good point the only thing is, you would hardly notice a connection running @ 1.2k a second on irc.

Unless you are having some obscure issue with your winsock dlls being corrupt (which would probably impede you from sending tcp/ip packets) then most likely the entire connection is slow but only because of the volume of information being transferred in a web page do you notice the abboration, ergo I would say that it is not a browser issue but a connection speed issue, which would lead me to think that some setting for the com port or ancillary setting to do with the adapter itself is causing the issue.

/or something\
    /(.) (.)\

Alpha Centauri

I had a look at the port settings and they were set to 9600 baud which i changed to 128000 but it didn't make any difference.would putting the card in a different slot be likely to make any difference??

attaching log file from the isdn monitor in case its any help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Goosey

Forgive me but you don't say who you are using as your ISP.

Does using a different ISP that will except ISDN connections give you the same bottleneck?

Goosey

I've tried eircom, elive and oceanfree. Same thing happens with all of them ie. it connects at 64k but i'm only getting about 1.5/k download.

Advertisement