Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Hyland - What a guy!

Options
  • 25-02-2002 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

Right, so I was coming home from work today, from town to Wicklow, listening to Phantom FM in the car, and who's hosting Heavy Traffic only Jack Hyland. Now, the reception dies around tallaght / firhouse for me (I only found out about the 88.1 frequency just now as I entered the Phantom board, so that's beside the point), but still, Phantom lasts me for a good hour.

Now, if only a DJ who were not old Jacko was on the air, I'd get some decent listening in, but Mr. Hyland decides to do his usual routine of playing terrible 5 minute sketches which are about as funny as a punishment beating (Thank god Jack doesn't do his own sketches, on the phone to what's-her-name anymore, jesus *christ* they were awful).

As I was listening to all this ****e going on, I was wondering how much music time i was missing out on. It only really struck home as I was about to turn off the radio because the reception was getting too bad, and "Talk Show Host" by Radiohead comes on.

This is the main reason I'm writing this post, I'm really pissed off that Jack is, in my opinion wasting Phantom's valuable air-time with his sloow talking ("ummm.. and now... we'll play.. ahh sure here's another skit"), and although most of the phantom listenership out there resides in Dublin and won't relate to the situation I just described, I don't think anybody can advocate Jack Hyland's radio shows and brand them as entertaining.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Hyland is a sap, he's not funny. He needs to shut and play more music. When he plays sketchs from League of Gentleman and Harry Enfield, thats good.

But all that Tarquin and his granny rubbish, is toe-curlingly embarassingly bad.

Nowadays I switch off Phantom when his show starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Circe

Points re: Jack Hyland's show-

1. Good music

2. Crap comedy

Ditch 'Tarquin', 'Granny' and the 'hilarious comedy mafiosi' and all will be well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

is that the one, Granny, where he'd pretend to ring some old biddy up and *it wouldn't be funny at all* ?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Frenzy

MY God you guys are all suck pricks!
    This guy gives up his time for free and all you can do his say how much he sucks!
    In my opinion Jack is one of the best DJs on Phantom his originality and great humour make for really good listening.
    OK I know he repeats the comedy stuff alot but at least its good comedy! Steve Coogan and Monty Python,
    if you don't agree you should be brought into the middle of a field, stood against a wall, one shot to the head BANG BANG!
    He plays great music has a great radio voice with his umms and aahhhhhssss thats cool!
    That new thing the take the piss video review its pure genius I tell's ya. PURE GENIUS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭skittles

Common.. jack is alright. I enjoy the show when I catch it. quit complainin' and stick a tape in if ya don't like it. Careful where ya stick that tape now ya hear!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

Originally posted by Frenzy
    This guy gives up his time for free and all you can do his say how much he sucks!

You're entitled to your opinion.

Fact of the matter is, that a lot of other people give up a lot of their free time too, and do a hell of a better job with it (allison and the two petes come to mind).

And, in my opinion, and the opinion of the others who've posted replies to this thread, the comedy he plays isn't at all good, so it's just time wasted.

Well quit complaining and take our own advice (at least I think it was your, you moany people all sound the same) and tune to something else then.
    He plays 5 min slots of comedy thats like 15 min in the whole show. The shows 2hours and your complaining about 15min of it thats only 1/8 of the show for f*u*c*k * sake!
    Get off your high horse and cop on to your self
    Go back to Wicklow and stop bothering us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by Frenzy

So ? just cos some people volunteer their time does not mean we should be appreciative.

if you don't agree you should be brought into the middle of a field, stood against a wall, one shot to the head BANG BANG!

Walls in the middle of fields ? Are you an engineer ? You sound like a Civ Eng graduate.

If people wanted League of Gentlemen and Steve Coogan sketches they can watch the BBC or PlayUK on tv.

Ok here you go, there has been replys to this Thread, by 4 different people.
    Thats all! the thread has been going for 2 days now and only 4 people have responded!!!!!!!!!
    I respect your opinion Kopf and your reasons for not likeing his way of DJing but as my Mother said
    'if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all'
    As for that dumb ass Yellum guy. Yeah great you think Jack sucks but please say something new, don't just repeat what everyone is saying
    Oh he gives up his time. So!
    Engineers are just robots. You deaf ONE shot BANG BANG I said, ONE shot!
    Anyway I don't really care what you guys say cause there my ears I hear what I want.
    Jack Rocks!!!!!!!!11

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭The Evil Monkey

ok so i don't want to get involved in all these insults that are a-flying coz everyones intitled to their own opinion and heres mine:
    I like Jack Hyland he plays good music and the comedy bits, i find anyway, can be really funny. It was through him that i first heard Bill Hicks and i am now a huge fan of him (Hicks not Hyland...... well obviously Hyland too otherwise i won't be posting and well u get the idea!) So anyway i gonna use this to say "thanx Jack Hyland, u cheered up many a bad day"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭clevenger

i'll defend hyland's honour. Good show, good music and Python/Coogan/Hicks to boot, what more can you ask.

I suppose you could fire him and ask Tarquin to take over though...

Fine lets just end this stupid argument over with.
    I like Jack's show, you like the music thats all.
    Great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 gouty

I think it's his show's a helluva lot more entertaining than two petes talk about eating crisps. But then so would being sodomized by an elephant.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I like his show when he plays things from Myonty Phyton and Hicks. Not very many radio stations, if any, play comedy like this and i like that because its something different, but i definitly do not like the Granny and Tarquin stuff, but he cant please everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Originally posted by gouty
    I think it's his show's a helluva lot more entertaining than two petes talk about eating crisps. But then so would being sodomized by an elephant.

That can be arranged Gouty ;-).

Regards,

Pete Reed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Now now Pete. You know that can't really be arranged!

Joey D is right though. Someone was telling me that Thursday Challenge is the only live comedy programme in the country. And boy is it live!!!!! :eek:

Another first for phantom I suppose.

Advertisement