Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disapointing Games and Hype

Options
  • 25-02-2002 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

2 quezzies here. First,which games have promised so much and delivered so little to you? Which games were so hyped up that when you got them,you were expecting nothing less than perfection. One most recent one of mine is B+W,that was hyped to high heaven and wasnt really that great. :(
    On the second thing in the subject,it ties in with my first subject but how much do you think is right. Right now I hold in my hands a September 1994 Issue 3 of Games World and on page 80,what is there but Rise of the Robots on the Snes. Heres some quotes from it:
    Mirage (ROTR creators) have taken great care to bring a cinematic feel to the action and not just dump you in a robotic slugging match and expect you to be entranced
    Lets take it for granted that they havent played any of it at all. Or seen it. Or basically had anything to do with it.
    Atmosphere isn't the only thing that Mirage are keen to build into Rise
    Yea theyre thinking about working on gameplay. They so crazee.
    A lot of thought has gone into the control method too
    Thats just a bare faced lie right there
    The SNES version of Rise is looking very tough to beat.
    Thats enough right now

So,opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

the most hyped up i felt about a game was perfect dark on N64
    and was well impressed until the final few levels .
    Shame couldnt delete them .
    Also as an opposite to your point that un-hyped game most impressed you ?
    Body Harvest on N64 for me ,crap graphics. clunky control but what a game .
    And Rise of Robots was a terrible game .
    Rgds
    [DaDs]Kdja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

In recent years, probably B+W, that was hyped to high heaven, there was no way it was ever going to be able to live up to it, the fact that it wasn't even much fun just made things worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

the most hyped game ever had to be that load of crap Medal of Honour *

Not like that other great game Dikitana Which had loads of hype for 3 years and well deserved it.

* Hmmm, do i actually know what im talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

spooky donkey - no, you dont :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭][Spoof Jesus][

Daikatana wasnt that bad...i thought the graphics were quite impressive and the gameplay was good...people thought it sucked because of A)the long wait for it and B)the better selection of FPs games out at the time...
    Perasonally I thought RTCW was hyped...it was supposed to be this unreal nazi killing game where you will get engrossed in killing all these evil guys...it also said that you would actually love killing nazis...i didnt even think fo the tio be symbols of nazism...i thought of them as the bad guy in front of my health pickup...it was a load of crap...MOHAA is far more realistic but RTCW is more polished...
    I dont buy games that often in stores because i have access to pirated ones...but i know that for £50 (RTCW) and €60 (MOHAA) i dont thuink you get a lot of value...

• Advertisement

I know what you mean,Mark1Million , about disappointing, hyped games...but Rise of the Robots was exceptionally ****e.

Games, consoles...when they are hyped or talked about for a long time, people WILL be disappointed because they think that they're better because people have been talking about them.

One game to live up to hype (a rarity in today's world) was the first N64 zelda - ocarina of time.

Brilliant in every way.

One game that didn't live up to the hype in dazzling blaze of unglory was Tiberian Sun...it did well, but people were disappointed because it didn't deliver the "true" sequel feel...indeed, I remember people being disappointed with Red Alert 2 when it came out.

A machine which people were very disappointed with was the N64...took ages to get here, but delivered TRUE QUALITY games...unfortunately, people got sick of waiting, and consequently the N64 never caught up with the PS. Pity, as it was truly the better machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Guy Incognito

The Sims. What a waste of 40 quid. The reviews made it sound like the best game ever made. But it was an absolutely pointless, boring game. You can only kill a family in so many ways before it gets repetitive. :PWhy, oh why did I buy that game? It's left gathering dust at home now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

quake 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Metal Gear Solid 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

quake 3

the whole gaming community was waiting years for it, both q2'ers and q1'ers. we were all looking for a game that would reunite the whole community and what came out was a load fo pants.
    it looked nice, it even played well on a lan.

but it just didnt have the feel.
    it didnt have q1 speed and fun.
    it definately didnt have q2's fantastic maps or polish.
    it just felt lifeless.

usually i buy games about a month after everyone else does or nick them of castor troy so i usually buy whatever is worth buying.

all the half life games keep getting shorter. and i dont think anything will compare to the orginal halflife there for single player.

unreal 2 now thats a game im looking forward too.
    i buy games now for single player fun. cant be arsed to play online anymore. getting too old to waste my life when i should be making one.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Black and white. Cos of the ground-breaking but shíte interface. Also I remember Rise of the Robots for the Amiga and it was awful, truly horrible.

But for me the worst disapointments were the sequels to Elite on the Amiga and later the PC which were disgustingly bugridden with interfaces designed by monkeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Ah yes Body Harvest! Completely forgot,thats one game that went un-noticed. Shame as I loved it (cant find it to buy though:( :(:( )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

Max Payne
    About 4 years of waiting and you got a good game but it wasnt the earth shattering experience you were waiting for, I think the people who were waiting for Max Payne the longest were the most dissapointed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I can't believe no one's mentioned Tribes 2????
    What a rather large pile of scrotal sack skin that game was. I was looking for a CD last night and I found my T2 disc - I nearly got sick with the disgust!

BnW is another obvious one.

Quake 3 - I'll admit, it wasn't *quite* what I was expecting, but it still is a lot of fun.

Tekken Tag on the PS2 - BALLS I tells ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Tekken Tag just rocks Kharn ,you way out on this one.

B+W complete crap.To damm short and bug ridden.

Rise of the Robots - say no more

Red Faction - short and boring

The second Sequal to Elite on PC - bugged to fook and programmers stupid enough to leave txt file in patch stating the aliens in the game(promised) and there missions didnt and exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Mark 1 Million
    I can give you my copy of Body Harvest , i have a *cough backup of it .
    So i you can have my N64 cartridge.
    I have seen it in EB Liffey Valley for little or nothing but probably gone now.
    Kdja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Geo Mod technology me arse!....
    amazing AI, me arse!...
    new locations, me arse!.....
    in fact that game has more incommon with shite than a fps!

Daikatana...hyped to high heaven and it fell, it fell hard,
    its amazing sword, shite
    its teamplay, shite
    its locations and enemies were not thought through!

Tiberian Sun...wanted to so hard to beat RA1...but failed....RA2 didnt do much upgrading either.....

ANY FIFA GAME.....is this football?....ne1 who has played ISS thinks not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Not that they are bad games, but...

Return to Castle Wolfientstien: Too Short
    Medal Of Honour: Even shorter.
    Tribes 2: Went from sweet to sour :(

Black and White was exactly what I expected it to be. I never let the hype get to me..and to be honest, it's not that bad.

Biggest let down of all time: Counter-Strike 6.5...the end of a saga.

Frontier:Elite 2 rocked by the way Amp...but First encounters weally sucked ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Serious sam 2 was a game that wasent hyped that much.
    it came out soon enough after the first and even the makers said it wasent that much different from the first hence the name 'second encounter'

It was a great but short game. But it was cheap. If you get a game right first time out theres no need to change it too much.
    and a there was crap ending

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by Kyro

Frontier:Elite 2 rocked by the way Amp...but First encounters weally sucked ass.

Oh yeah, I should have said the sequel to Frontier, as it was the first Elite for me. I had not the good fortune to own a BBC micro :(

And I blame PC Format for the hype as they said First Encounters was the bees proverbiables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

couter strike... what a load of bull, nothing but trouble .. download this patch for retail.. oh no, but you need half life patch 3.4.2 .. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh and then i finally get the bloody thing to work and it crashes my computer and refuses to join online servers ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Daikatana.

In the words of Flavor Flav - "Don't believe the hype"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

MGS2, theres a good 30 min playable game in there somewhere, i have yet to find it tho.
    A friend said that playing it in japanese was a blessing as listening to the english and trying to keep up with the ****e story was twice as cr4p.

Games like onimusha etc. with bugger all hype and excellent gameplay (short but sweet) are keeping me amused in the machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Command & Conquer: Renegade

Total ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Tekken Tag just rocks Kharn ,you way out on this one.

Dead or Alive 2 is a much better game and it was released on the same day and it had several modes of play including tag mode even if it had less characters it was a much better came with interactive arenas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Doa has free (never get a complex juggle twice) juggle system and tekken has a set juggle system and a more easy to use game setup.

Small fact, tekken is skillful enough to have constant championships all over the world, the european championships are in london in 2 months, and theres a namco sponsored tourney in a week in namco station in england. World championships in TTT (the last one until the full switch to the not so good T4) is happening in rome or france, i can't remember.

DOA has no tourneys :)
    It has tits tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

all of the above.

i was wondering, what is today's most hyped game that still hasnt been released? all i can think of is Republic: The Revolution. its been hyped left, right and centre. am i missing something here.

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Republic is definitely one that's destined for a fall, when it eventually appears.

Other hugely hyped titles that haven't appeared yet... Duke Nukem Forver, Half-Life 2, Doom III, Dungeon Siege, Final Fantasy XI (and indeed X, in Europe)... Mario Sunshine also springs to mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Halo (PC), TFC2, Unreal2, Unreal Warfare (they'll be in direct competition with each other afaik), Planetside (unless you havea beast of a PC, no need to work and a 20MBit net-connection - which will leave you playing with yourself, again).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

4 years of work to make a game that only lasts for 4 hours??? still deadly though

Advertisement