Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

America and SA

• 25-02-2002 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭

Il be doin a bit of traveling this summer,South Africe and America
    I was told the drinking age is 21 and a strict 21!

That true?

Been only 18 i got a prob?goin with other ppl only 18

Will be get away with fake usit cards?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Odian
    Will be get away with fake usit cards?

No, they usually insist on an American driving licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

depends where you are and what you look like. I went over when i was 19 and couldn't get served in New Hampshire at all, but then in NYC and Albany they never asked for Id at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

I found that a lot of the pubs (excluding the Irish ones) in California would accept my fake USIT card. Nightclubs wouldn't accept anything less than US driving license or passport.

They also have a policy of carding everyone that looks under the age of 30.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by John2002
    They also have a policy of carding everyone that looks under the age of 30.

I've seen 50 year olds getting carded. Some Bar staff over there are a bit thick and take their manager way too seriously when he says card everyone.

When I was over in Virginia on the J1 I was 20 but my date of birth (Irish style) was 7/10/77. To Americans though this mean 10th of July 77 so once the 10th of July came I had an 'unoffficial' 21st birthday party and was able to get served using my real USIT card :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I was asked for ID going into a bar in Boston about 3 1/2 years ago, which I wasn't really expecting seeing as I was 33 at the time. I hadn't any on me (deliberately I might add - I wasn't going to risk losing my passport on a night out just to appease some over-zealous idiot on the door). I did get in but if I looked any way under 21 there wouldn't have been a hop in hell.

Was in South Africa in November but to be honest the youngest people in most of the bars we were in were at least mid-20s. The one exception was in Stellenbosch, which is a university town. The students didn't seem to have any problem getting as much drink as they wanted there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

I was in SA there a few months ago. Am 20 now, had no problems getting served at all.

Advertisement