Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone host forums??

Options
  • 26-02-2002 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

I need some webspace to host some forums - nothing on the scale of boards.ie - around 300 members - 30 of which would use daily!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Hi Buddy,

We do Linux and W2k, php, mysql, etc - what forum type?

Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

It would be asp based - a forum called snitz!

forum.snitz.com

System requirements =

IIS 4/IIS 5 or PWS Web Server on Intel with NT4, WIN2000, WIN98, WIN95 or WIN ME or an ASP Enabled Web Server on a Unix System (the forum has been tested on Chili!Asp), Microsoft Access 97/2000 or SQL Server 6.5/7.0/2000 or MySql version 3.22 and 3.23 beta (support for Oracle 8i is planned)

What do ya think??

Hi Buddy,

Grab our Basic Windows 2000 Hosting, ASP, Access support, for 129 euro,

Best regards,
    Stephen
    http://www.hosting365.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Why do you want to use that particular forum software? I'm just curious. I have been using YaBB for the last couple of years and recently upgraded to YaBBSE . It's completely open source and runs on Php and MySQL.

Forgot to say.... We could host you as well! Check out our packages: Blacknight Solutions

• Advertisement

I'd also recommend vbulletin - runs boards like boards.ie and p45rant.com and does a -very- good job of it :)

Stephen

I agree. However vBulletin isn't free, where as there are a lot of equally powerful open source versions. I guess it's a matter of budget. The price tag on vBulletin is reasonable, especially when compared to InfoPop, but YaBBSE and others are completely free and open source, so they are both an affordable and constantly updated option.
    300 developers can produce more code than 5 :-)

I'm not going with vbulletin when something like snitz can do the same job for nothing!

I'm not in the market for a big major hosting package - very low budget available!!

Also - I hate these limits on GB transfer - if I go over it - I don't know what page views amount up to then the site is down - can't have that!

Hi Buddy,

On our site, you can see a GB transfer to page impressions estimate for each package, also, what do you mean about your site being down? Transfer limits are not 'hard limits', your site does not go down after hitting them,

Stephen

Steve,

Thx for the info - I thought it was a hrd limit and you'd get a page to state "this customer has exceeded their tranfser limit" - thx for correcting me - what happens when someone exceeds this limit.

I don't have €129 to invest in the hosting.

• Advertisement

Hi Buddy,

You get a warning if uage exceeds 120%, but we do not suspend accounts for sucess :)

Check out www.scoileanna.com if the project is educational.

Stephen

It is not educational unfortunately - does anyone have a server that they could offer me some space on - I would appreciate it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 RFHost

Check out rfhost.com . I servers are not located in Ireland so prices are good. As a special to you I will give you %30 of any of our packages. Unfortunately we do not provide Win2k hosting . We do provide the apache ASP module but performance is not very good. I would suggest changing the forums to something like ikonboard or yabb . :):):):)

Thats a generous offer - I'll keep it under consideration - meanwhile I'm having problem getting the snitz forums to work on some webspace I have which is suitable for testing but maybe not for full usage!

Whats the € prices on your packages??

• Registered Users Posts: 43 RFHost

Here are the prices in € . They may seem a bit odd as they were originally designed for USD but here they are with the 30% discount

Basic Package = €10.40 per month
    Standard Package= €16.1390 per month
    Pro Package= €25.3811 per month

If you decide to host with us would you still be using snitz , because as I said before I doubt it will work properly if not at all on a Linux server. I recommend either ikonboard or PHPBB2 . These are both considerably more reliable and faster than snitz as they are based on a MySQL backend rather than a Access Database.

Hi Buddy,

Sign up for Windows 2000 hosting at www.scoileanna.com - I'll put you through as a student as a once-off :) (49 euro for the year)

Stephen

Sounds good Stephen - only I'm unsure 25MB would be enough space - what about bandwidth!

I am very interested though!

25Mb is loads, unless you have lots of files/mp3s/downloads to host. Transfer bundled is 1G p/month,
    Stephen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭JOOROWNED

Hey , well WE will not be using any files , mp3s or warez and so on so would it be slow with a lot of members and would it be slow while a lot pf people where online together.

We've had a very generous offer from a member who has Snitz forums not in use which we will be taking over as such - thx to everyone for the feedback and of course thx to the boards.ie member I refer to!

He knows who he is!

• Advertisement
Advertisement