Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody using a Hercules GeForceII GTS?

• 05-02-2001 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi there,

I have the Herc installed and working fine in 2D apps, however 3D apps are causing me grief. I have installed the driers from teh Hercules site (532 and 635) as well as Nvidia's own Detonator 3, and the 711 drivers from reactorcritical.com. No luck so far, QuakeIII still has bad graphics flickering. BattlezoneII doesn't like drawing 3D at all. I have seen the questions on geforcefaq.com about this but they don't seem to fix it. I haven't tried any of the 'hardware' solutions yet. What I was wondering was - has anybody else here got a similar motherboard/video setup to mine, and if so, what driver set did you use? (The video BIOS is up-to-date with the latest Herc drivers)

I think I had it very nearly working ok with one of the driver sets (prob. Det3). Deus Ex works okay apart from some missing polygons (haven't installed the Direct3D patch for it yet, that might fix that). I also used GLSetup (online version) but still no good.

My setup:
    KT7A-RAID
    320Mb RAM
    330W PSU
    Hercules Prophet II GTS (GeForce II GTS, 64Mb DDRAM)
    DirectX 7
    Nothing is overclocked, temps are fine.
    (Haven't done anything with motherboard BIOS yet, am reluctant to do so till everything else is tried)
    Any suggestions welcome, thank you. Examples of working setups from others would be most appreciated (i.e. what did you do to gets yours working)

Thanks,

Donncha

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

getting a new graphics card can be so much fun, i went throught the same thing when i got my voodoo5. you might have a top notch system there but remember the simplest solution is the best.

did you try removing all the traces of the old grpahics card. purging your system of the old files so they dont mess with the new setup. it's worth a shot if youre really stuck

try http://www.tweak3d.net/tweak/geforce/ for some extra info and settings.

good luck

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

I have card Clu, and I never have those types of probs with it.

When I got it first thing I did was install the new bios for the graphics card - the patch is on thier webpage, as well as the latest det. drivers.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Clu

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Canaboid:
    GLSetup, shudder. Get rid of it. Bad experiences in the past.
    Install via's 4in1 drivers for chipset (one of them is an AGP4x fix).
    And yeah, strip out all old Gfx driver files. You should find instructions on how to do this with latest (det3) nvidia reference drivers.
    </font>

The system is a newly built one so there were only the default PCI drivers, which I wiped out before installing the GeForce. The card BIOS is also fully up-to-date. I have the 4-in-1 drivers installed as well (latest versions), but still no good. I'll try some of the hardware tweaks floating around. Failing that, it'll be back to PCWorld, receipt in hand and hope they don't kck up too much fuss (I'm quite happy to buy another card from them - ATi RADEON, perhaps?)

Cheers,
    Clu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I have just built a new system, with that motherboard, and a creative geforce2 gts. I installed the nvidia detonator drivers, from nvidias page. Using beta graphics drivers is a bad idea, they offer no performance improvements. The machine works perfectly in games. Check in device manager that nothing is sharing an irq with the graphics card. i.e. don't put anything in the first pci slot. If you have beta drivers on now, trying to overwrite them with the official nvidia drivers doesnt work usually, so a reinstall might be needed. In your bios, theres not really a whole lot that relates to the graphics card. Turn agp 4x off, make sure fast writes are off also.

when installing the 4-in-1 drivers, install the standard agp driver, not the turbo mode one. Don't bring the card back, a little patience should be enough to get it working. Its a better card than the radeon any way.

[This message has been edited by Gerry (edited 05-02-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

GLSetup, shudder. Get rid of it. Bad experiences in the past.
    Install via's 4in1 drivers for chipset (one of them is an AGP4x fix).
    And yeah, strip out all old Gfx driver files. You should find instructions on how to do this with latest (det3) nvidia reference drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Clu

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gerry:
    I have just built a new system, with that motherboard, and a creative geforce2 gts. I installed the nvidia detonator drivers, from nvidias page. Using beta graphics drivers is a bad idea, they offer no performance improvements. The machine works perfectly in games. Check in device manager that nothing is sharing an irq with the graphics card. i.e. don't put anything in the first pci slot. If you have beta drivers on now, trying to overwrite them with the official nvidia drivers doesnt work usually, so a reinstall might be needed. In your bios, theres not really a whole lot that relates to the graphics card. Turn agp 4x off, make sure fast writes are off also.

when installing the 4-in-1 drivers, install the standard agp driver, not the turbo mode one. Don't bring the card back, a little patience should be enough to get it working. Its a better card than the radeon any way.

[This message has been edited by Gerry (edited 05-02-2001).]
    </font>

Sweet, thanks for that (Finally, someone with a similar setup)

A few Q's, Gerry, if possible:
    Which DirectX are you using? (i've been trying 7.0 lately)
    Which Detonators are you using? (6.5 is out on nvidia.com, I tried this but it was rubbish, but something else may be wrong)

I have fast writes off, and the 4-in-1 drivers I got with the board are the latest ones (4.26, nothing more recent on abit afaik) are are installed as 'standard' AGP.

Thanks for the advice, I guess I'll give the card a while more.

Clu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I had heard bad things about the 4.26 drivers, so I didnt install them from the abit cd. I obtained the 4.25a drivers from

www.viahardware.com

I didnt install directx for win98, its still using 5.0 or whatever. Win2k comes with 7.0, so I didnt see any need to break whats working. As long as you don't put directx 8.0 on, it doesnt usually cause problems. The detonator3 drivers work fine, I have heard too many sob stories about people having to reinstall because they tried beta graphics drivers.

Advertisement