Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 2000 on a PC with 128Mgs RAM

• 06-02-2001 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering is there anyway to increase the ammount of free RAM in Win2k by stopping un-needed services/applications that aren't needed for a gamer. The PC in question is only used really for playing games(Quake3) and surfing the net. In the task manager theres a couple of items using in and around 8000k i.e. svchost.exe:7500k; inetinfo.exe:8840k. Are these guys needed and if they're not where do I go to disable them as they seem to be the highest memory users apart from explorer.exe of course...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Try logging in as administrator, and looking for the services control inside administrator tools off control panel. (thats where it is in 2kserver anyway). That will list all the services and give a brief explanation of what they do. I presume youre runing professional not server right? But the above is prob where its found in professional anyway.
    quozl

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

There was a mention of a tweak guide for Win2K on Blues News today or yesterday on what services you can turn off and how to speed up games slightly.

Draco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

what you want is the win2k equivalent of msconfig for win98 .
    wish i knew where it was mate, but i dont.
    id like to get an answer to this as well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

SickBoy, dont go trying to fiddle with Win2k system services if you dont know what they do. Im not trying to be patronising, im just letting you know that you can seriously **** up win2k by doing that sort of thing...

Moriarty
    moriarty@gamersfm.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Decay

I'll second Moriarity on that. And I speak from experience 2k advanced server running websphere , well it used to......... biggrin.gif

w2k handles memory well and will let go of any it can as needed. lots better than 98.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I think if you log in as a power user, it runs less services. Not quite sure though. I do know that win2k uses extra memory really well, the machine flies along now with 256 megs. I think svchost.exe is rather essential anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

You can set the virtual memory to 2x your physical memory and put the same figure into Initial and Maximum size. This is located in System>Advanced>Performance Options

Advertisement