Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Policy of compulsory Irish a spectacular failure for generations

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

If you want to get to understand TG4 go to the classes so.

Many people dont speak the language of the childern, I think it is important for a child to be able not only to speak their own lanuage (Irish and English, here in ireland) but also that of their parents natural lanuage. i.e. if your from france living out side france in country that does not have french as their lanuage then your children should be able to speak french as well as their own lanuage depending on the national lanuage of the country.

New words should not be change into Irish, I dont get that.

If you ever watch Ros Na Ruin they allow the actors use English words.

Its like when they tried to use Spudnic for Satalite.

Seamus i agree with most of what you said but if you got an A2 in pass Irish doesnt that mean that you only got 50 points for Irish, if you had done Houours and got yourself D1 you would have got 55 points. Its not much extra but hey.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Elmo
    Seamus i agree with most of what you said but if you got an A2 in pass Irish doesnt that mean that you only got 50 points for Irish, if you had done Houours and got yourself D1 you would have got 55 points. Its not much extra but hey.

I turned it into a cop-out subject. It wouldn't have been worth doing that much work for 55 points. I changed Hons-->Pass in Irish and Pass-->Hons in Tech Drawing and got a C1 in T.D.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Originally posted by richie18
    I would like few thought on this-I have just enrolled my daughter(4.5 years of age )in an all Irish school.The main reason for this is because I do believe that we should be able to speak our own national language.
    [...] But I would like to know if people think would I have a problem with my lack of Irish and my daughter being fluent in The language.The school is running Irish classes for parents but Im not sure about attending.

There's an organization called Comhluadar (in Comhdháil Náisiúnta na Gaeilge) which supports parents whose children are in Irish schools. It would be to your advantage to have Irish, to be sure.

It is a pity that the Irish curriculum was taught as a literary subject when many of you were young. In many schools that is, apparently changing. I live near Club Chonradh na Gaeilge and it is often crowded with young people who speak Irish. (It is often totally empty too; depends on the day of the week.)

I'd encourage you to take up your Irish. You have a lot in your head already even from suffering through Peig. Watch TG4 with the subtitles. Take some courses. Chat with your daughter. Be patient. It's good fun and it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

I think the whole point of learning irish is being mis-interpreted.
    The main feeling of the argument seems to me, to be the fact that , student believe that the effort involved in learning the language far outways any benifit. This mentality is fundamentally flawed. As anyone who studies the arts, it would be a dull life,if all study was concerned with equiping oneself with skills for ones future employment.Education is also there to allow the scholar to develop one's identity.However one may deny it, the irish language is a fundamental part of the irish identity,and even if the current generation fails to appreciate it's importance, as a nation ,we are responsible for its preservation for further generations.

let us not forget , that the irish proclamation of independence was first written in irish.A telling sign of their reverence for the language. Irish has always been repressed by colocial rule, but has survived through song and poetry.

if the price of preserving irish pride and heritage is 6 months learning "peg", then i for one am glad to pay it....

go raibh 'at,

An ri

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Deathtobertie

Learning any second language from a young age is an advantage to any child as it makes it easier in later life to pick up third and fourth languages.

Certain people seem to have it in for the irish language as a general rule. You never hear anybody complain about other compulsory subjects. If someone says that they can't do maths then you should not automatically assume that maths is too hard maybe you should assume that the person learning the maths is unable to grasp the concept of it, whereas people are saying irish is too hard and blaming the language and not the student.

I don't think that it is unreasonable that our national language should be a compulsory subject. The irish language is an integral part of our culture and identity, it goes hand in hand with our unique music, art and literature.

So there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 misemisemise

i am finishing off my degree in Irish and IT at the moment.
    Irish is my way of life. I speak the language every day. as do my friends.

I agree with those of you who say that irish is taught wrongly in school- it should be taught in a manner which inspires people, and makes them think they can use it.
    The Irish oral is worth 25% of the whole exam, aural worth 20% - more emphasis should be put on this.

But I don't think it is correct to refer to it as a bog language- i know americans who have come to Ireland to learn the language.

The amount of industry bainteach le Gaeilge has shot up in the last number of years- especially the tv industry.

You give out because it is compulsory- well so is maths , and History.... you could nearly say there's no point learning history and geography

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

History and geography are NOT compulsory at leaving cert level.

Advertisement