Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Digital Repair Costs

• 26-02-2002 2:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

Having just had a faulty digibox replaced 10 months into my first year, I had not realised what the costs might be for repairs after the year is up.

Apparently Sky will charge 108EUR for a call-out, whatever the problem may be. If your digibox needs to be replaced that's a bargain, though it might seem a bit high for a mis-aligned dish...

I don't think I would argue the case that this is over-charging, as on average call-outs may come close to this.

However.... it's amusing to remember that Chorus was beaten to a pulp over it's 2 pounds "insurance change", and withdrew it and the threat of charging for call-outs.

Now, you may say (and I won't disagreee) that Chorus is incompetent and most problems were their fault, but still at least you won't have to worry about very large repair bills.

For Sky you may say that the user owns the equipment (true) but most people would not consider the channels available without an active card, an acceptable TV service and would probably have to get Chorus/NTL/SCTV etc etc.

Just something to think about, and if I was Chorus/NTL I would be trying to trumpet this fact.

It's just preying on my mind as I realise that I've now had 3 digiboxes in 10 months, and still live in fear of my chimney mounted dish being blown into space during a global-warming caused super-hurricane.

Any comments? How long do digiboxes last? How long do dishes stay in alignment?

Ix.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

the last digibox lasted about 10 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ONireland

That's the HUGH advantage with ITV Digital. If it breaks, they fix it for no extra charge.

The only thing you have to pay for is an aerial upgrade, a one off of £25.

If the box breaks, they send a new one, pick up the old and don't charge you a penny. It's actually in the contract. You are only liable for the cost of the box if you physically break it (ie, step on it, drop it down the stairs, leave it under the car and drive over it). Any technical faults they fix for free.

It happened my brother. His box broke down after about a year and a half. For some reason it got stuck on Sky One and would change off the channel whatsoever. They sent a new box, no charge.

I suppose it is also good because the old box can go back to a proper workshop to be serviced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭PacMan

The difference between Chorus and Sky, is that with Chorus they still own the box. If your contract ends with them, they take back the box. However with Sky, when your 12 month contract is up, the Digibox and Dish are yours.
    The media reports about Chorus were based on the fact that Chorus owns the box, and therefore why should you pay extra to repair something that is not yours.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by ONireland

The only thing you have to pay for is an aerial upgrade, a one off of £25.

What happens if the aerial gets blown off course or blown off your roof altogether?

I still eagerly await Irish DTT for broadband internet (current plans going ahead).:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by ixtlan

Apparently Sky will charge 108EUR for a call-out, whatever the problem may be. If your digibox needs to be replaced that's a bargain, though it might seem a bit high for a mis-aligned dish...

Ix.

Are you sure this 108 includes replacing a faulty box? 108 seems excessive to me although i guess it depends on what it covered. We charge a call out of €45 which includes a dish re alignment, if anything else is wrong we would quote the customer there and then, this rarely comes to over €100 but a faulty box can be expensive to repair. May i ask how you came by this information?

Thanks Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Hi Tony,

Idon't have any proof of this, I'm just repeating what the guy Sky sent told me...

108 to re-align a dish
    108 to move the dish from the chimney to the wall (I asked about this)
    108 to replace a digibox after the warranty.

This does seem to match comments I have read in UK newsgroups where they talk about a 60 pound sterling charge for any repair. This would equate to about 100EUR.

As regards Sky/Chorus and owning the equipment or not, I say again that this is a false advantage. The TV service supplier might as well own the equipment if what you are left with without a subscription is not a satisfactory service. In the UK this might be different since they would get to keep all the terrestrial channels.

The customer owning the equipment suits the service supplier when the equipment is prone to frequent failures. It suits the customer if the equipment is reliable.

Ix.

If you are out of contract,and own the box,whats the point in repairing it when you can get a *new* one from e-bay, without a card for stg£100 or so?
    I don't know if they *fall off the back of a lorry* or what but they appear to be new.
    Of course theres no warranty,but then theres none on your out of contract box either or is there?
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ONireland

Originally posted by irishbyte

What happens if the aerial gets blown off course or blown off your roof altogether?

Shift happens! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by ixtlan
    Hi Tony,

Idon't have any proof of this, I'm just repeating what the guy Sky sent told me...

108 to re-align a dish
    108 to move the dish from the chimney to the wall (I asked about this)
    108 to replace a digibox after the warranty.

Ix.

Hi Thanks for the info, I wonder are they replacing faulty boxes with refurb boxes? 108 to call out and replace a receiver is bloody good value considering what the trade price is.

Regards

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Tony, what is the trade price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ixtlan

They might indeed be refurbs.

The UK newsgroups seem to suggest this.

Ix

Advertisement