Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Case

Options
  • 26-02-2002 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

What material are cases normally made out of?
    Like the metal underneath the paint.
    Anybody?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

The usual spraypainted cases are made from sheet steel. More expensive cases use aluminium; these cases don't tend to be painted, though. Some other cases use plastic panels with heavy foil inserts to prevent interference.

Gadget

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

my own case is just painted steel
    was very nice and easy to mod - well cut some 80mm holes in it

my older p3 case from gateway had all plastic panels hiding the steel inside

prolly messy if i went to mod it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I think the steel is galvonised aswell as if you take a wire brush on a dremmel to it, it polishes up really well.
    Correct me if im wrong please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Originally posted by PPC
    I think the steel is galvonised aswell as if you take a wire brush on a dremmel to it, it polishes up really well.
    Correct me if im wrong please.

Having taken a quick look at the inside of a PC here to be sure, I'd be inclined to say that they're galvanised, alright. I supose if they weren't they'd rust up in no time, eh?

Gadget

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

On that note, what's the best way to remove the paint without destroying that lovely galvinisation?

I've allready pretty much wrecked two cases with my big belt sander. I don't have a dremel, only big cúnt of a jackhammer high speed drill.
    Is the wire-brush-head the best option in this case?
    (no pun intended)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

Well when painting your case your not ment to sand down to the metal,
    Saves you spraying coats and coats of primer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

You need to sand it a bit to make it stick a little

Advertisement