Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how an ir printer could benifit ppl in a rural community

• 07-02-2001 8:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

ok i hav enough info on ir printers now i hav to explain how they could benifit people in a rural community.

The only idea i hav so far is that if they were too set up an office it would save time as one wouldn't hav to lay down cables to connect the computers to the printer...

any one else any other ideas?

[This message has been edited by azezil (edited 07-02-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Actually IR wouldn't be that great for that, as sunlight can effect the IR, plus machines need a clear line of sight. I'd go with a wireless network rather then an IR model for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

that and stringing a cable takes all of 5 seconds smile.gif

It'd really be a waste of money considering how little benefit it would actually be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

ok so my idea wasn't great but i have to come up with something before tomorrow!

so can anyone think of a good reason!!!

its a college project and i only got it tuesday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Catch_22

there more expensive and so far there is no real benifit as pointed out by ppl here, so why not take the satnce that they wouldnt be of any benifit, as long as you can back it up with a couple of arguments it should be doable

c22

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭topgold

IR printers (like the HP4050N) are easily networked with standard cabling. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth printers aren't here yet.

So if you have the dosh and the price points are the same between two equally-performing printers, why not get the one with the IR capability? You can beam to it with Pocket PCs, Palms and phones.

Some brown-shirted United Parcel Service Germans can beam invoices from their driver pads directly to IR printers in premises. That's handy because they can regenerate signed invoices in a simple IR shot.

Certainly a novel approach Catch22. smile.gif I'd agree, I would go into a large spiel about how more costly it would be to run one, and list detailed alternatives which can leverage off legacy technology. Unless of course you picked the project yourself. smile.gif

tanx topgold i was loosin faith there for a while!

that give's me a few ideas, cheers! smile.gif

no a cruel lecturer gave it too me wink.gif
    but i think i can manage!

[This message has been edited by azezil (edited 08-02-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sha-khan

I think you should take the opposing argument as it is the easiest to support with facts and figures.

Is this a school project? Why did you take so long to complete it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement