Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Muppets for the week.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Ph was expressing his opinion, if we labeled everyone he did so a muppet, by god amp would be the muppet king... hold on a minute:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Ph gets my vote: the 'what did those firefighters do apart from turn up and have a building collapse on them' comment is the most cretinous thing I've read in at least the last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeah I'd wish for pH to go aswell.
    Im all for opinions but that is just downright disrepectful to people who lost their lives, and the loved ones of those people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

Crybabies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

What abot that guy using the games board as the cs board?
    That was pretty annoying...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

blah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

That JET lad gets my vote ... coming to the boards acting like he's everyones buddy, pimping his site as a 'great site he found'.
    It was funny the first time someone posted one of those gimick sites... but it's getting old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

I'm with pH on his first reply, but what he said about the firefighters is just... moronic..

American self-masturbation (as he quite rightly called it) pisses me off to a huge extent - that new series of third watch or something based all on sep. 11th? Annoys me to hell, such self-pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

So what happens now?
    Does the muppet get named and shamed in a very public manner for the amusement of the rest of us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Name & Shame.

Put the "MOTW" on the home page, right there with the Quote of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Shad0r

I read it and tbh to me he was just expressing an opinion. A completely moronic twat of an opinion but none the less it should have the same rights as anyone elses.

Freedom of speech I say.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Civility is the watch word. We all have differing opinions but we can at least put them forward with civility and with reason.

I havent read PH's stuff but it doesnt sound like he's being bold deliberately and just a warning to tone it down may be in order. I'll respond when I've read through it.

JET is pimping her site hard, which may require just a note to tone is down a little (and be honest about it). She hasnt started a thread (afaics) pimping the site so she's operating within the charter (which is that advertising your site is bad, but responding to someones query for such a site is really just providing information for our users and is good).

This is a fine line and its not one we can just enforce without thought. Believe it or not I'm quite keen on the idea of freedom of speech so I dislike smacking anyone down unless they are misusing theirs.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I agree wholeheartedly!

Last edited by Devore on 31-02-2002 at 15:35 PM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by DeVore
    She hasnt started a thread (afaics) pimping the site so she's operating within the charter (which is that advertising your site is bad, but responding to someones query for such a site is really just providing information for our users and is good).

That's because WWMan deleted them all. She had her own thread, and then for a few other threads she had answered with her Site (basically the same post).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

My you guys have a nice little cosy nest going!

You should have a little message on the main page, letting people know that the folks who run boards.ie have are a superior bunch of thinkers, and that posters who do not comply to their high levels of philosophical debate, or even their own opinions of the world, may be scorned and ridiculed by the admin group.

Oh to be ridiculed and mocked by you! I may never show my face in public again.

If you read the vulgar tirade from whitewashman that I was responding to then, in the context I think my response was restrained.

Now his form of intellectual stream of conciousness debating is something that I aspire to and oneday may achieve.

Like I said, you guys are too full of your own self import ..

Gotta chill a bit.

pH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Uh...I think you were 'scorned and ridiculed' due to the fact that you are an insensitive little twat, not because everyone disagrees with you.

I think you'd be better off being vulgar rather than using your pathetic attempt at sarcasm. That way maybe we can ban your sorry ass sooner. Oh..and do you actually think those brave firefighters knew that a building was going to collapse on them? Hmm?

Congratulations pH...You win my Muppet of the Week Award.

* For lessons ..please consult resident sarcasm master Amp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Ph, I read your post, here is the flaw in your logic.
    The bombings in the US were delibrate ergo murder, ergo wrong. If someone dies in a hospital that is ostensibly the natural conclusion of someone's life, murder whilst going about your life is not.
    The logic would seem to follow, no person or group of people has the right to arbitrarily take the life of another person, so war is wrong, murder is wrong, perhaps you could make a case for the accidental death of a person who was trying to kill you, but I stress accidental.

I think that the bombing of Afghanistan was wrong as it put in danger the lives of innocent people and in some instances took innocent life, in the same fashion I think that the bombings in the US were wrong.

The fact is there are many things I vehemently disagree with the American's with as regard their foreign policies and yes some aspects of American culture shock and offend me, no that doesn't mean murdering them is simply a statistic, not when innocent people die.

I guess it's easy for Irish people to have nice 'balanced views' on the US and simply ignore the diversity and scope of the conflict that enmeshed the north of this island for thirty years. Perhaps it is easy for Irish people to fail to equate the situation in the US and our own country, but here goes. If it is wrong for US foreign policy to infringe on other peoples in the way it does in some instances and if it is wrong for people to take counter actions because of that, then it suggests that 'kulturekampf' as humans know it is in itself contradictory to the principals (if any really exist) that it seeks to exponenciate.
    It therefore suggests that culture and nationality are either a ruse or contradictory concepts. At what point does a line on a map become the point at which people will murder and abandon culture wholesale when 10 people die, or 100 people get denied right X?
    I don't believe in god, that is probably why I find religious wars so difficult to comprehend, still the more I think of it the more I find the concept of 'kulturekampf' a contradiction, how can a culture struggle? Culture means a kind of sublimation from such darwinian concepts, so the conjunction of the two concpets seem illogical.

Originally posted by pH
    My you guys have a nice little cosy nest going!

[snip]

Like I said, you guys are too full of your own self import ..

Gotta chill a bit.

pH

Ooooo fiesty! I like 'em fiesty! a/s/l?

I find it highly ironic that this newbie is critizising the esteemed elders of this board.

And Typedef, this isn't a thread debating whatever pH and Wwman were heavy petting over, it's about wether pH and that chap are muppets.

Based on this thread though (and why not generalise as pH has done), I personally declare my undying love for pH and wish to marry her asap.

Kisses,

amp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

stupidcert.gif
    :rolleyes:

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Whats that about all the people who run Boards.ie being Big Thinkers!?

Doubtful - The so called "Big Thinkers" assign a bunch of blokes called "Moderators" or something along those lines, to keep watch over you, and make sure you don't squat, **** or piss in the wrong place whilst on this site... THESE are the people YOU have a problem with... And anyway, the way they run the board is entirely up to them - if you post "Boo" and the "Big Thinkers" consider your post to be a "blasphemous pile flaming **** that could start pub riots that would eventually lead to a drastic decrease in pidgeon **** exports / imports and a decline in the ozone layer", and then edit / delete it, you can't do a thing about it (Unless you like wasting time complaining about it in PM's to the Big Boys on this site)... But of course, the Powers that be here,happen to be quite a nice bunch of blokes, you just seem to have an aura that aggravates them...

We're not big thinkers really, we just do our job.
    Your lucky though - Being hit with a hammer by a plain and simple moderator isn't half as bad as being merely slapped on the wrist with a silk cloth by an official Boards.ie "Big Thinker"

I'd watch my back if I were you and, as much as you may hate to accept this - This Board isn't run by you, nor any of the plain and simple Moderators - We do what the "Big Thinkers" think is within reasonable limits... That goes for whatever you post, and what we post + posts we edit and/or lock, so if the "Big Thinkers" assign a certain Mod to a board, and that certain mod on that certain board thinks a certain thing you post on that certain board is certainly garbage, he will certainly deal with it...

I suggest you grow up quite fast, unless you'll more than likely find your I.P to be "Incompatible" with this site if you push those "So Called" big thinkers to the extreme... They are the Mafia of the Online Irish Community (Or did I just have one of my freak rantish dreams again - Curse these anti-depressants, they hath garbled my mind)

P.S I find your literate Persona quite aggitating... A well spoken person like yourself could contribute a whole lot better to this site, rather than firing up this garbage...

P.S.S I have a narky ranty moany Literate persona myself - It doesn't get me anywhere...

P.S.S.S Remind me to stop typing now...

• Advertisement

Ropedrink, stop typing now.

I would just like to say that I am not a "nice bloke".

Hmmmm... how many chixor mods are there?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The freedom of speech is the freedom to criticise.

Civil criticism of the way we run our site is ok, indeed as many people will testify we often take it on board (if you'll excuse the pun).

Sarcasm is the refuge of the stupid unless done for amusement value.

I'm sorry you think we were harsh on you, we werent, at least not by our standards. If you dont want to post under our (very liberal) charters and standards, then please dont let your browser hit you on the ass on the way to www.disney.com

DeV.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

"Hmmmm... how many chixor mods are there?"

Well there's me, for a start... I thought I explained this to you during our massively long night time IRC Chat PM's!? Remember!? I kept asking you to come to Galway and "Visit" me and my "New Double Bed"!?

***Remember - He said to stop typing, Rope, and you know you'll get into a moany, whingey, ranty mood again which won't do good for your sex life, unless you shut up...***

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by RopeDrink
    This Board isn't run by you, nor any of the plain and simple Moderators - We do what the "Big Thinkers" think is within reasonable limits... That goes for whatever you post, and what we post + posts we edit and/or lock, so if the "Big Thinkers" assign a certain Mod to a board, and that certain mod on that certain board thinks a certain thing you post on that certain board is certainly garbage, he will certainly deal with it...

Wow I don't do any of that stuff. Maybe we should have a "Moderating for Dummies" book. ;)

.logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

certainly.

The freedom of speech is the freedom to criticise.

dont make me give you a good tongue lashing to young man.
    i know what you look like with AND without a beard.

you are guile from streetfighter (except you cant do that jumpy circle move in the air)

if this was a prison, youd be my bítch......

Sarcasm is the refuge of the stupid unless done for amusement value.
    [/url]

Oh reeeeeally?

RopeDrink amp is a chick, all her pent up aggression comes from never being asked to the debs and year long pms

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan

dont make me give you a good tongue lashing to young man.
    i know what you look like with AND without a beard.

you are guile from streetfighter (except you cant do that jumpy circle move in the air)

Actually I havent had that hairstyle for about 3 years :p
    My hair is all floppy and long at the moment. Kinda scary really..

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Eamo Dev looks like a Yuppie these days. Last time I saw him he had a SUIT on !!!!!!!!

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Actually I havent had that hairstyle for about 3 years :p
    My hair is all floppy and long at the moment. Kinda scary really..
    DeV.

Ahhh:eek:
    Hugh Grant is running boards !!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Thats 'If this were prison, I'd make you my bitch's, bitch's bitch.... maybe'
    'Brits' :rolleyes: .

Originally posted by logic1

Wow I don't do any of that stuff. Maybe we should have a "Moderating for Dummies" book. ;)

.logic.

Maybe - It'd give the "Slow" members of Boards.ie (Or the members who feel they can defy all rules [There are rules, aren't there?] of the board with their spammy bull**** posts a wake up call)

Somehow I find myself staring in PH's direction...
    Anyhow, this isn't my fight - I think i'll fade away into some other thread and continue my rampant ravings on how bad the world really is...

Boston, if thats true about Amp then the same goes for me - Why do you think I rant a lot? I mean, my deb's dress wouldn't fit, my partner ran off with some other dolled up bugger, and the alcohol was rank... I feel I must retaliate, and the world shall feel my righteous ranting wrath.

P.S Runner up for the muppet award must go to me for being a disillusioned little bastard. Thanks for your time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Originally posted by logic1

.logic.

Yeah, but Fio, we're all *so* well behaved on the CTYI board.

Except for dictator jokes :D

Originally posted by Typedef

'Brits' :rolleyes: .

HUH?

• Advertisement

he thinks your english because you live there

What in the name of Jebus is wrong with Brit's!?

(Im English - Does that make me a bad person!?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bob the Unlucky Octopus

I wouldn't go as far as saying pH is a muppet...simply that he hasn't grasped a very basic and fairly universal ethical principle, that of empathy. He also seems to be misinformed.

X people died elsewhere and we don't seem to care....well I'm pretty sure that people in Rwanda cared pal. In fact, if you'd got off your fatt a$s (oh noe, teh insult filt0r again~~) and done a bit of research, you'd have known that not only have there been tributes to those killed in Rwanda, Burundi and the Congo....but that these have been far more fitting and lasting tributes in a way, than a bunch of statues ever will be. Read some of Tomas Ogunoywo's poetry- I assure you, it loses little in the translation.

My point is this- just because you happen to be poorly informed, don't assume that people don't care. I'll freely admit the reason that more people cared *more* about 9/11 is that it was broadcast in every possible way in almost every possible place. Does that mean its worth of *less* of our sympathy to compensate for its huge media coverage? What kind of fvcked up logic is that? Why in the holy name of Bob...do I have to tune my emotions based on TV viewing figures?

Now to your last, and I agree with Castor...cretinous point. "They just had a building fall on them". Brilliant Einstein...ever considered that they knew the risk to their own lives and decided to take that chance anyway? Because it might have a remote chance of saving others? We glorify our national military might, classify soldiers who train hard and rarely see combat as 'brave defenders of our way of life'. Well firemen, police and EMS are in combat every day pH...there's always a fire, or a disturbance, or a medical emergency somewhere that they often risk their lives to deal with.

They are the unsung heroes of our land, and I for one am glad that they are at least getting a fraction of the credit they have richly deserved for generations. I think it was my dad, a Vietnam vet who told me when asked- "I'm no god-damn hero...I spent half my time chasing shadows in the bush and watching my friends die around me...that guy who brings me a newspaper in the morning's more of a hero. But I get a medal and he gets a bucket of abuse almost everywhere he goes, and he takes it with a smile." I think that says it all really- people who deserve the most credit sometimes get the least thanks for it, and that is why I am glad in part for this tribute.

Self-masturbation be blowed (no pun intended :P) This was a disaster of unprecedented preportions on a national scale. If we choose to honor our dead and their sacrifice, and other people want to call it self-masturbation then I say fvck them...with a ten-foot pole I might add, for effect. I name no names, but the argument of self-pity is also fundamentally flawed- we feel sorry not for ourselves, but for the dead and those who sacrificed their lives that they might save others. We feel sorry for ourselves in part, but only because of the friends and family we might yet lose to military action or further terrorist attacks. I think there is more than a little mitigation needed here...a lot more. We've seen the pictures, but there is no way we can feel a family's loss. Trivializing it is a disservice not only to them, but ourselves as compassionate human beings.

This is all of course my opinion, if you care to offer an alternative point of view, feel free, I'll be waiting.

Occy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by foobar

Yeah, but Fio, we're all *so* well behaved on the CTYI board.

Except for dictator jokes :D

Ummm besides the fact that my name is spelt differently to "Fio" where else are you having problems?

.logic.

Probably the fact that your both cookie monsters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by amp
    Probably the fact that your both cookie monsters.

Do you know what Amp?... I've never found anything you've said remotely interesting! Strange that isn't it?

Originally posted by Dr. Loon

Do you know what Amp?... I've never found anything you've said remotely interesting! Strange that isn't it?

now, that was interesting.
    what did you say that for for?
    that was hurtful.....

now, that was interesting.
    what did you say that for for?
    that was hurtful.....

:D Ha ha..........
    Was it hurtful? I'm very sorry. I think Amp knows not to take it too seriously.

:D Ha ha..........
    Was it hurtful? I'm very sorry. I think Amp knows not to take it too seriously.

no picking on amp.

say sorry

no picking on amp.

say sorry

fúck you. I just said sorry.
    Everyone picks on Amp!

fúck you. I just said sorry.
    Everyone picks on Amp!

i dont.
    and saying f*ck you isnt exactly very nice.

in fact, i remember 2 days you moaning about people ruining posts and posting rubbish and now you go and post very rude things.
    bit hypocritical isnt it?

i dont.

in fact, i remember 2 days you moaning about people ruining posts and posting rubbish and now you go and post very rude things.

I'm sorry, have I hurt your feelings now too?
    I did indeed speak about people ruining sensible posts and picking on a bloke who was just trying to sell something.
    The best thing for you to do WWM is not reply to me and my mischievous, abusive, trolling posts. That way, I won't reply with more abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Whereas you, Dr. Loon, are a font of amusing and witty replies!!

Originally posted by Castor Troy

Whereas you, Dr. Loon, are a font of amusing and witty replies!!

Precisely. I'm glad someone gets it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

i dont.

And it's about here that we hit the HYPOCRITICAL CIRCLE OF DOOM

:p

• Advertisement
Advertisement