Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

esat adsl?

Options
  • 26-02-2002 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Maybe a silly question and one which nether bt ignite or esat will answer 4 me, but why dont esat release bts adsl product.? isnt it the same as eircoms?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

they cant before eircom do, they had 2 trials i dont know what happened with them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by Boston
    they cant before eircom do, they had 2 trials i dont know what happened with them though.
    Thats a bit misleading. Its true they cant offer a bitstream service until eircom offer theirs, but Esat can go ahead at any time, unbundle some local loops and install dsl on those.

nope, they cant, right the exchange has to be upgraded to allow for unbundling, there is only one exchange in the country that could be unbundled and thats in limerick

Btw you dont use llu to provide adsl, that would be plane stupid and uneconomical, llu is for private circuits and the like

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

nope, they cant, right the exchange has to be upgraded to allow for unbundling, there is only one exchange in the country that could be unbundled and thats in limerick

Didn't I read somewhere that Ballina and one or two others were also unbundled?

I know it's like pulling teeth, but at least some progress, however slow, is being made.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Sorry Boston, but that's not correct. I can't go into why it's not correct, you'll just have to take my word for it.

adam

• Advertisement

maybe they are in the process, but last i heard it was just the one in limerick, the so called trial exchange

seems things have changed since i last looked, if you cant get into it, i take it that its not in the public domain yet?

if you say so fair enough,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Adam's right Boston
    Some Good News is on the way:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

I had the trial last October...lasted 6 weeks and then nothing...haven't heardnything since except that they wanted their modem back last Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

How soon tho 80P? You have gotten my hopes up! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Space! Upgrading?!

This is a total red herring, the Mervue (main 091) exchange in Galway has plenty of space for a 3rd party room where other carriers put their kit.....not thet they need much of it.

Eircom then bring a wire up there from a frame.

the LL is then U

Some smaller exchanges are pushed for space, this is true, I was told that Naas is badly maxed out because of unprecedented growth in the town in the last 10 years.

The ballina exchange is the main 096 one, another fine lump of a building on the Castlebar road as I recall.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Btw you dont use llu to provide adsl, that would be plane stupid and uneconomical, llu is for private circuits and the like
    Most companys dont, but you can. I wasnt talking about how economical it was for a telco to do it, i was only saying that its possible.

Its not a red herring, because with llu the isp use there own equipment they have to some and install it themselves. they also have to provide bandwidth to that exchange(i actually think they can by bandwidth off eircom but its not cheap) so thats anotehr few months.

the reason why it was happening in limerick was because there was an esat excahnge right beside the eircom one, so it would be easy enough to get bandwidth to and from.

I heard runors about an exchange in galway, near one of the major industrial esates being upgraded awhile back. i didnt mention anything about it but this has peacked my interest.

ill be keeping an eye on this

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by Muck
    Space! Upgrading?!
    The ballina exchange is the main 096 one, another fine lump of a building on the Castlebar road as I recall.

You'd think I'd be happy about the Ballina exchange being unbundled, wouldn't you? I mean, me living just outside Ballina and all?

As it happens, I'm a couple of hundred metres on the wrong side of the boundary between 094 and 096!! *sob*

(...and I don't see the Knockmore exchange being one of the early unbundling candidates...!)

doesnt matter, when they start offering services just ring up eircom and ask for a line from that exchange.

Advertisement