Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

printer transmission speed

• 08-02-2001 5:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

what is the rate of transfer of data down a standard printer cable of lenght aprox. 5m???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I think it would be best if you emailed everyone here your homework and then waited for it to come back fully typed and researched for you. It would help save on all the posts.

ffs, have you even bothered to look for the information?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

i'v looked for the info...
    i have the info about ir printers but i'm tryin to think of a good reason why they'd be usful in a rural area.

i was hoping to argue that ir transmission rates are higher cable, but i can't find any info on data transfer rate for printer cables!

n i'll be sure to document all my findings in a website n give u a link to it wink.gif

[This message has been edited by azezil (edited 08-02-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Catch_22

rs232 - 9600bps -- i think

I'm not going looking anymore. This took all of 5 seconds to find.

http://www.lvr.com/parport.htm

Just a note. There is a physical limit to the size of a paralell cable. I think it may be 3-5 Metres, after that you need a booster or you can physically damage the printer.

Most of the modern printers these days (at least in business) can connect directly to a LAN and are accessed via the LAN instead of a paralell port.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Catch_22:
    rs232 - 9600bps -- i think </font>

Wrong. smile.gif

• Advertisement

lol thanks very much!

i just found that site b4 i checked back!

so i was rite ir transfer rates are higher,
    now i'll start my essay...Thanks all! smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

if its a HP printer, ie. a laserjet 4050, you can hook it up to a jetdirect box, these work at 10/100mb/s (as fast as your network) they use a rj45 connector and cat5 cable and the a normal printer cable to the printer. we have a good few on our network (you'll need a print server to). they are esay to setup. You can Administrat them from any computer with jetAdmin installed on it.

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

[This message has been edited by sutty (edited 08-02-2001).]

i'm talkin about a rural community where they wouldn't have access to networks r what ever.

i talkin about the standard printer in your home type situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    i'm talkin about a rural community where they wouldn't have access to networks r what ever.</font>

what? they dont have networks down the countreh?
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    i talkin about the standard printer in your home type situation.
    </font>
    You can't have a network or a networkable printer in a "home type situation" either? Will wonders never cease? smile.gif

_____
    Bard

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted. -Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929-1968)

Advertisement