Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

utv: any info

Options
  • 26-02-2002 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

i wrote to utv a month a go and they said theyd like to have a flatrate service here but theyd have to wait for eircom to unbundle first ??? do they not have to negoiate with eircom. Are they doing this, does anyone know
    dahamsta didnt you talk with them recently, did they seem interested to you ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Surely any negotiation with eircom on the matter of any flat rate service would end up with a 'surf no limits' type fiasco.

I mean its eircoms problem if they cant work their way round to offering some sort of financially viable to ISP's. It would be nice to see UTV expanding their flat rate package into the republic (maybe when Eircom fold and BT buys whats left :D)

But seriously tho, if any ISP did attempt to start such a service (if they had balls to after what happened to Esat) it would go the same way with users 'over using'.

On the other hand, if a tiered service was introduced the heavy users could be heavily charged - but then were just back to a pay per minute type arrangement. Basically were all screwed until Eircom open up better rates for usage of their network (or unbundles).

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

what about the flat rate 1893 number? whats the story with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Acous
    what about the flat rate 1893 number? whats the story with that?

Isint that pretty much in the same area as the flat rate of old? I mean the ODTR set the numbers aside (1892 also if Im not mistaken) but Eircom do not seem to want to get into talks with any ISP that want to start partial or whole flat rate access. Either that or the ISP doesnt want to talk to Eircom (which I wouldnt blame them for given Eircoms track record with flat rate internet).

Those two numbers are pretty much dead in the water. Yes they exist, but no you cant use them.

...as is my understanding of the situation.

Advertisement