Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal Hardware 56k modem?

• 26-02-2002 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hello,
    I got a Dell 333 Pc a few years ago and have decided to do a few upgrades on it.
    One of the worst things that came with my computer was a USRobotics 56k Winmodem. It has trouble connecting on first dial most of the time and makes my automated music skip and stutter when Verifying Password and Disconnecting and windows often has had trouble detecting it after a reinstallation/format. So after 4 years of enduring this horrible WinModem "thing" I decided on Monday to check the Maplin catalouge for a new modem.. I wanted an internal hardware modem as using parrallel/usb ports generally makes the MP3 playout skip which is what I'm trying to avoid, and Winmodems take up way too much precious CPU power. So I picked out this one (P.321 Maplin):
    "V.92 56k PCI internal controllerless HARDWARE modem" - £29.99.
    Thought it was too good to be true.. opened the box on the bus home and saw the word "Winmodem" Doh! I decided I'd test it anyway...
    The thing makes my music stutter on connect and disconnect but also does another thing... After 30mins of use the system gets unusable and my music gets unlistenable, disconnect from the internet and all is fine! This thing is worse than the last.. straight back to the shop tommorow,
    So my question is - Is it possible to buy a Hardware Internal modem in Dublin and how do I tell if its hardware?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

controllerless
    This mean winmodem or more accurately software modem as controllerless modems are pretty well supported in hsf and hcf (I think?)in conexant and lucent chipsets or will be so l/winmodem might be a better desc here.

Either way probably the only hardware modems you will find are external serial modems or very old isa internal modems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

The modem I got with my Gateway PC last year did the same thing, made everything stop and stutter for a couple of seconds while it connected.

But for some reason it doesnt do it now Ive upgraded to WinXP.. Strange. I didnt d/l new drivers for it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

Just found a company making hardware modems..
    Actiontec:
    http://www.actiontec.com/products/modems/92pci/92pci_features.html
    Improve Performance on Older PCs
    Many modems today are Windows-based. This means that they use some portion of your CPU to process the signals being sent and received from the Internet. If you have an older system that has a processor slower than 300 MHz, you will often notice the computer slowing down when downloading large websites or files. With the Actiontec 56K Internal PCI Call Waiting Modem this delay will not occur because all of the modem processing is done on the modem itself.

Oh and they have them in Maplin (P.322), £69.99 (€112)... bit pricey but I think i'll get it. It has call waiting too.

Anyone know of any ISPs in Ireland or the UK that support V92 yet? It looks good if only it would take off......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Originally posted by Typedef
    ... supported in hsf and hcf (I think?)...
    its HSP and HCF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Get an external one, you can use it with machines that do not have pci bus.... or even with non intel_386 derivitave arch machines if you so wished.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Diamond Supra Express as a 56k HARDWARE modem it rocks
    Pc World have fairly cheap but you should get one for less than 60 euros
    Probaly the best 56k modem around and no point in getting a v92 as eircom aint supporting it (last time i checked anyway)
    Kdja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

External serial modems rock!
    Oh all the twinkly lights :D
    No pausing or 'clicking' when dialing or hanging up.
    Should have no worries if you want to install Linux at some stage aswell.

Then again, you could always get ISDN and have the added advantage of connecting to the net in under 2 seconds every time. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

already have isdn... connects great but i have IOL no-limits on my analogue line so I only use the ISDN for stuff I need fast.

I find when I print through parallel or USB ports my music skips too so an external modem would probably do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

Had a creative Blaster flash56k when I had analogue. An excellent modem for gaming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

As for v.92 no irish isp supports it - it only increaces upload speeds. As for software modems - yes they suck but my generic lucent winmodwm worked fantastacly well 6k downloads and 160pings - until i got isdn :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Originally posted by StrataGIST

its HSP and HCF

Actually, it is HSF and HCF, if you're talking Conexant (the artist formerly known as "Rockwell") softmodem chipsets (have seen enough lightning-scorched ones this past week or two to last me a lifetime), although HSP is the name given to another softmodem chipset by another manufacturer - can't remember who offhand - last time I saw one was in a vile little CNR card...

Gadget

Advertisement