Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ntlworld.ie dial up service

Options
  • 27-02-2002 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Do ntl offer this flat-rate dial-up on sat and sun to the whole country?

prob a very silly question :)

Adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

I wish!

Only Dublin :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

im in waterford and i have it... it sux though.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Bios

I am still none the wiser :)

is it provided by thier cable????

is it like any other isp?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I have the package and I'm in Galway. You have to sign up to NTL world (tv & Telephone). You get free internet access from Friday midnight until sunday midnight. Pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Bios
    I am still none the wiser :)

is it provided by thier cable????

is it like any other isp?
    The weekend option does not use the NTL tv cable. It uses the Eircom line just like any other ISP.

It is, however, limited to their existing cable TV areas. There is no technical reason for this. It might be for commercial reasons or it might just be stupidity. It costs £5 a week above the existing cable TV fee.

What you sign up for is, in fact, a full carrier pre-select phone service. It is worth checking the prices of other types of phone call before taking up the option. It may turn out more expensive overall. Note that off peak evening Internet calls are actually more expensive than with Eircom outside of the weekend flat-rate period.

It is not to be confused with NTLs 24/7 flat-rate service which does use the cable infrastructure although this is limited to certain parts of West Dublin, i.e., the two-way areas. The same areas, of course, have 512k unlimeted cable modem Internet. To my knowledge, NTL have no plans to upgrade further areas. Also I heard somewhere that they were discontinuing their 56K flat-rate service due to overuse. This last one hasn't been confirmed, though.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It is, however, limited to their existing cable TV areas. There is no technical reason for this. It might be for commercial reasons or it might just be stupidity.

It's a licencing thing Mike. The cable companies can't provide services - any services - outside of their cachement areas. This will of course change come March, when the local monopolies expire, as per their arrangement with the Regulator.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

thats not correct adam, you can get ntl carrier per select service and internet dial up service anywere in the country, but you just wont be able to obtain the weekend flat rate offer.

calls are charged at local rate, so if your using ntl dial up on an eircom line(like i can) then you are charges 1p a minute, but the service is much better then even oceanfree.

I'm pretty sure Boston is correct here. I remember the ODTR saying that the franchise areas only applied to cable TV operations.

Sincere apologies, I was under the distinct impression that NTL weren't allowed supply service outside their franchise areas. I stand corrected.

Hey, even dahamsta has to be wrong once in a while, eh?

adam

Thx for the info folks.

Sooooo

If I sign up for the cable TV and phone service from ntl.
    Can I still call other isp's and get charged their cost( e.g. 1p min/off-peak) or will I get charged the 2p per min/off-peak from ntl?

I asked the sales woman and she said I could use other isps and get charged their rate but I don't believe her

Mind you, she told me to watch out for eircom as, she claims, they mislead ntl customers to enter a code on their phones that changes them back to eircom, without telling them!

Adam

• Advertisement

actually iots about 3.5p off peak for ntl and yes you have to pay that since the likes of oceanfree charge at local call rates

Originally posted by Bios
    Can I still call other isp's and get charged their cost( e.g. 1p min/off-peak) or will I get charged the 2p per min/off-peak from ntl?

I asked the sales woman and she said I could use other isps and get charged their rate but I don't believe her
    I don't use the service myself, but my understanding is that you can connect to another, ahem, 'free' ISP, but you will be charged at NTL's local call rate, not Eircom's.

You might like to check on the Net/Comms board for further info on this. They may know a way of temporarilly switching off the carrier pre-select before connecting.

no, no they dont

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    You might like to check on the Net/Comms board for further info on this. They may know a way of temporarilly switching off the carrier pre-select before connecting.
    Isnt it just a simple matter of putting eircoms prefix (whatever that may be) on the start of any number you call? Thats all those ickle boxes on the phone lines do..

No, no it isnt

Originally posted by Boston
    No, no it isnt
    Well then explain it to me since you obviously know all about it.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by Moriarty

Well then explain it to me since you obviously know all about it.. :rolleyes:

no, no he doesn't... :D

actually i do know all about it but its been pointed out to me that some times i come off as arrogant so i tried to spare you being subjected to that.

if it was as easy as putting a prefix infront of a number everyone would do it and the whole carrier pre select market would emplode upon itself. It would also be considered fraud, yes fraud, your in a legaly binding contract with both eircom and the pre select carrier, to find away to usurp there safe guard by tampering with the line or the like would land you in deep trouble.

there is however special numbers which do not fall under the domain of CPS, all those 1800 numbers.

The limit box your rephare to is only(ttbomk)installed by esat, for reasons on known to me, wereas ntl dont install that box at all.
    everything is done from the exchange, it takes just over 1 hour to change your cps once all the contracts are signed, which of course takes 3 weeks.

now is there anything else you wish to know.

Originally posted by Mountjoy Mugger

no, no he doesn't... :D
    I wasnt going to say anything ;)

Boston's kinda right, in that the ickle boxes are pretty much gone now, and CPS is done at exchange level. If you still have an ickle box though, all you have to do is take it out of the loop.

adam

• Advertisement

its illegal to touch that box

The CPS boxes? Don't talk b0llocks Boston.

adam

o shut up, you have no right to touch that box, none what so ever.

were 80p he will settle this

4.1 The Customer undertakes not to use the Service or the Equipment:
    4.1.1 for any improper, immoral or unlawful purpose, nor cause any nuisance by the use of the Service, nor allow others to use the Service for any of the foregoing purposes:
    Equipment" shall mean a telephone or other service provider equipment that is located on the customer's premises.

Ie that box they stick on the the line

termination
    7.3.1 the Customer is in breach of Clauses 4 and 5 above or of the Agreement in respect of the Equipment.

Taking the box of the line is definitly immoral and since the box actually belong to esat or whoever, then you are tampering with there porperty which is unlawfull.

therefore if you are caught tampering with the box your service will be disconnected and most likely you will be black balled

Ie that box they stick on the the line

termination

Boston- that has fùck all to do with removing the box from the line if you want to. Its more a general clause incase you start hax0ring the PSTN using it, or get into other questionable situations.

Edit: Even if you did use the box for something like that, it would only be against the T&C, it wouldnt be illegal :)

tell me, who owns the box?

Yes hacking would be agaisnt the T&C.
    im going out on a limb here but im guessing unlawfull use of equipment would be well... unlawfull. call me old fashioned

ok so do ntl put a box in your home or not???

Yes hacking would be agaisnt the T&C

Boston, how could you possibly describe plugging the predialler out as "hacking"? Has the DMCA been enacted in Ireland behind my back?

adam

no thats not what i described it as, go read the post before that adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Taking the box of the line is definitly immoral and since the box actually belong to esat or whoever, then you are tampering with there porperty which is unlawfull.

I presume this is what you're referring to, Boston? I can't see how it is immoral.

Syn: Wicked; sinful; criminal; vicious; unjust; dishonest; depraved; impure; unchaste; profligate; dissolute; abandoned; licentious; lewd; obscene.

It certainly can't be defined as tampering.

v. tam·pered, tam·per·ing, tam·pers
    v. intr.
    To interfere in a harmful manner: tried to tamper with the decedent's will; tampering with the timing mechanism of the safe.
    To tinker with rashly or foolishly: Don't tamper with my feelings.
    To engage in improper or secret dealings, as in an effort to influence: tamper with a jury.

Advertisement