Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest Blanks?

• 27-02-2002 9:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

I use Viacom blanks from Argos which I have since discovered suck ;-/ Anyone recommend a cheap blank supplier (decent brands) in .ie?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

ummm
    this blank disks/discs/minidisc/cds/dvds/videos/casettes :confused:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

If you are talking about CDRs, I buy mine from Maplin.
    They come in unbranded spindles of 100 and are very cheap, the last time I bought (which was before the Euro changeover) they were thirty something pence each.
    I have found them to work no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Well if it is cd's then i also get them mostly form argos also i think i got 100 for £35 before christmas - well i paid 35 seen as i had a voucher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

well I was talking blank cdr, I have found the argos ones actually burn fine but after a few months start to die!!? Very worrying, I am actually getting some TDK's cheap but was wondering where people can get decent cheap branded (.ie TDK, sony etc) cdr

thanks for replies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

peats do a good few brands including tdk, they also do a cheap brand for £0.55 last time i was in there. maplin also do as said 100 for approx £30 - £35 but they dont come with boxes afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

www.outpost.com is the best I think.

CDR 24x 80Min 700MB 50 Piece Spindle
    CD-R Media:
    For your MAC or PC
    Outpost #: 3073449
    24X 80MIN 700MB 50 Spindle Pack for all your CD duplication needs. *Jewel cases not included.

just $7 for 50
    you do have to pay post and you some times have to pay a few quid vat on them but it's well worth it.
    last batch i bought 600 cd's
    and i have not have any CD fails.
    just when i mess up :)

Outpost.com Blank CD's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

How much VAT and postage, this sounds too good to be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

doesnt seem to give you delivery charges till after you order.. damn anyway :)
    still a pretty good offer though.. about €10 before delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

$22.34 for delivery plus $7 for the disks =$29.34 in total

Macker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Hence buy more discs, to offset the cost of delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Irish_Ranger_IR

If we all get together, we could order a few thousand almost for nothing......

How could we organis this?

well as i said I order them in batchs of 600 CD's that way i will have enuf CD's for about 6 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

holy **** you go through 100 cds a month!
    The cheap ones in peats I cant remember their name work well and come with cases.

cases suck i bought 250 cd's a few years ago in cases dam things take up so much room had to get rid of most of the cases.
    if your useing a lot of CD's then get a 100 cd holder then no need for the case and a lot less room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

yeah but if you are burning albums then I would prefer to have a case otherwise I would never be able to find the cd I'm looking for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 aus_boy

Originally posted by Gunn4r
    I use Viacom blanks from Argos which I have since discovered suck ;-/ Anyone recommend a cheap blank supplier (decent brands) in .ie?

hey mate, how are you? how is the new company?

-db you know me!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

now I know ya, you have a PM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

At the moment I buy Memorex CDRs from Compustore in 25 or 50CD spindles for about €24 and €44 each. They are perfect.
    Never had a problem with them.
    Vivacom (or something - white label surface - blue logo) are good too. DooDee bought a 100CD spindel and gave me a few.
    Cheap, no-name CDRs aren't wortha damn. They scrath very easily, get eaten by the CDR bacteria and feel like shíte if you gently rub two of em together.
    Are these yank CDRs similar? Do they have printed logos on the label side?
    Have they ever failed after a few months?
    Could you pull one out (an old one - archived or whatever) and see if it reads well.
    Twould be a good gauge of the quality me thinks.

On the note of storage, what I'd like to get are clear plastic sheets with 3-4 pockets on each side for CDRs that you can put in a ring binder like refil pads/sheets of paper/plastic pockets.
    They should be the cheapest way of storing stuff.
    Atm i'm using the spindles I've collected (not ideal by any stretch of the imagination).
    I've searched a bit for em but can't find any.

I'd be interested in getting together with someone in Galway to buy a dozen spindles between us. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Syxpak:

I've heard that the Tesco "Four Seasons" (the little place with the toys etc.) in the Galway Shopping Centre across the road from Compustore have some of the same Memorex CDs cheaper, don't know about the spindled ones, but the cased ones apparently are cheaper (will hopefully check this out today)

Gadget

• Advertisement

peats have leather folders that hold 100 CD’s you see 4 CD’s on each page I have a few of them you used too be able to buy them for about 30 quid
    As for the CD's yes they are very good.
    crap CD’s will not burn at 32x for one, I have bought over 1000 of them in the last 2 years as i never use 650mb CD’s they have mat sliver finish with logo like you find on Kodak disks and the like. I have never had one fail as a fault of the CD. Lost a few from pc crashes or the like but not now that i have 512mb ram :) and a burn proof CD 16X writer

heheh, speaking of PC crashes, only last Saturday i was burning a disc and the PC hung.
    Might ahve been something to do with the modem, but I suspect it was the heatsink not being seated correctly (moved and cleaned it last week) and the fact taht the machine ahd been on for about 12 hours straight runing win98SE :)
    Can't install win2k till I get my new Hard drive.
    Only use Win98 cos my scanner software doesn't suppoort 2k :(
    .....and I had some serious stability probs last time after I reformatted after fiddlign around with services :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

you do have to pay post and you some times have to pay a few quid vat on them but it's well worth it.
    last batch i bought 600 cd's

How much shipping did you pay in total?

Or, what was the cost per CD?

I'm definitely interested in getting together with a few people (Syxer, Robbo, and a few other galwegians) to buy a big order.

right well i think the cost for the CD's was about $7 X 20 = $140 + about i think $30 shiping when them came to ireland i had to pay about 22 quid in vat. but if your ordeing less than that some times they do not charge you when it gets to ireland.
    so total = 155 irish for 600 700mb CD's worked out at about 25p each, but given that places are still selling them at 50p to 75p each it's not a bad deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

This'll be a pretty big order.

Between myself and Syxer we'd probably be close to the 600 CD mark. Then we'll add a few more people.

The price is $9.50 for teh 32x ones.
    Twill be handy if I buy a 32x burner in the summer :)

there are 24X one's for $7.50 or 32X for $9
    what you need to do is have a look around the site as they do loads of good deals and some times they have the same thing cheeper just under a diff offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

well lads if ur serious about getting these count me in . dono if ill begetting as many as syx but will depend on the price

yeah, we're serious about it.
    We don't want to have too many people on it, unless we get seriously organised.
    We're looking into irish excise duties too.
    Afaik the US del+excise cost is about $30 per order.
    Am I accurate in saying that Coyote?
    The Irish excise duties are around the 15% are they?
    Bloody good value if we all chip in :)

So far we have LeeroyBrown, myself, Mordeth, elexes (I assume) and a few others from the college. Robbo might be getting in on it too. "He love's a bit of it" :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement