Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spike Milligan dies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Zoot

Oh Lord

Sorry to hear that.

He also had his dark side. One of his poems that sticks in my mind is:

Seek truth they said, but all I find,
    The seed is lost, the ploughman blind.

Obviously made an impression on me.

May he Rest In Peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

He suffered from manic depression, as comic geniuses often seem to do.

Aye, but even then he produced memorable work.

As you say - he was a genius.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

He shall indeed be missed - RIP Spike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I liked his poems andd stories since i read the childrens books when I was 6 or 7. It's a real pity he's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

One of the few heroes who 'did something with his life'. He'll be sorely missed. Absolute genius.

RIP Spike :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

just seen a bit on the news, he even had a bit of humour about the end so to speak, something he said he wanted on his tombstone:

"see! told you i had a bad cold" or something along those lines t'was funny anyhew.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

to bring it back a bit,
    did any of you read his war time books (auto-bio sorta)

lmao they were seriously funny

• Advertisement

yea, read Adolf Hitler: My part in his Downfall and Rommel. Gunner Who?

Both classic - unique sort of humour

Must dig out some more of his works.

Any recomendations??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah micro, I read one of them a couple of years ago. I can't remember the title of it now, but it was damn funny.

RIP Spike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

The world wont be as funny place anymore. Do you remember the time when after Prince Charles was making a speach about Spike only a couple of years ago.

Charles was going on about great memories of Spike, Goon shoe, greatest comic...blah...blah a

Spike then address the audience with

"Snivelling git!"

Classic

Did you know Spike was an Irishman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

just somthing to add to the thread
    i am not sure if this is 100% factual (but someone will point it out if it aint) but i heard somthing saying his father was from sligo and he had an irish passport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

But another thing i forgot was i read acouple of his books the "my part in his downfall" series i think it was the mussolini (excuse the spelling) but it was v v v funny. That was about 13 years ago and i am still smiling.

He will be missed, but amazing on how many ppl are now admiring him, any one heard anything about him lately , it is a shame that someone has to die in order to get some praise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Well, he was hardly unappreciated - he was already scheduled before he died to be the subject of "Heroes of Comedy" this Saturday. But I am surprised at how many people on these boards and in the media have identified themselves as card-carrying fans who've read loads of his stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by manonthemoon

Spike then address the audience with

"Snivelling git!"

Classic

Actually, the name he called Prince Charles was "Grovelling little shit!"... and later they gave him an honorary knighthood :)

only an honorary one, mind you, because yes - he was officially an Irish/Indian with an Irish passport and British residency (afaik).

Advertisement