Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spike Milligan dies

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

man this sucks spike milligan was one of the funniest comedians around....damn it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Hey Bob, you nicked my post!

But yes, it's a sad day. The BBC have been playing a lot of Goon stuff on various archive shows over the last few months, looking forward to some tribute shows.

Here's the main Spike site: http://www.fireflycafe.org/spike/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

:( RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Irish_Ranger_IR

RIP :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

:(:(:(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

"He's fallen in the waaa...ter"...

The last of the Goons... that "crazy wonderful genius" who called the Prince of Wales "a grovelling little shit" has gone... may his memory live forever... RIP Spike. :(:(

A tribute to him is to be shown on BBC 1 on Wednesday (tonight, presumably) at 10.35pm - and another one on Channel 4 on Saturday at 9pm ... (more)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

As saddened as I was to hear this news, thinking about Spike made me laugh. I think that says what a great genius he was.

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

A huge loss - admittedly I've not seen much of his tuff but what I have seen was absolutely terrific. Rest in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A great pity though no suprise, except that he proberly should have been the first to go not the last. 100 % genius because it never occured to him to think in a linear fashion.

Without him it would be nothing but Terry and June.

Milligan has been critical of the Beeb for not re-showing his classic Q series now they have the best excuse possible. Heres' hoping...

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Here's hoping indeed!!!

Tonight's tribute to Spike on the BBC was on at 11.05pm, despite their web site saying it'd be 30 mins earlier. No matter, - it had me in stitches... he's truly one of the fathers of modern comedy and he'll be sorely missed.

/me puts on the "Last Goon Show of All" on his headphones.

Now get out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

There is no goal better than this one: to know as you lie on your deathbed that you lived your true life, and you did whatever made you happy. -- Steve Chandler

I thought this rather appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Apparantly he wanted "I told you I was ill!" put on his tombstone.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thegreek

I saw Spike live in the Giety about 15 years ago, the review the next day in the paper said that the place was half empty and the show wasn't funny.

I lost what was left of my innocence with that review.
    The place was full, people even sitting on the stairs, and it was the funniest performance I had ever seen. The reviewer obviously wrote the review in the pub.

Wherever Spike is now I hope he is at peace.

Please God let them re-run Q

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭nore

Have to say I found his sense of humour a bit tiresome...
    He was like the world's oldest adolescent, always trying to get a laugh through being irreverent, to make himself feel more secure, and with all the ongoing emotional immaturity that state entailed... In interviews he always came across as a big child.
    Sure, it's sad that he's dead, like when anyone is dead, but let's not get carried away...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Maybe that's why we all found him funny then... Personally, I pride myself in not having grown up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

On todays Teletext the BBC say they have no plans to re show Q.

The bastards!

"What are we going to do now..." repeat to fade

Mike.

Advertisement