Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would TIVO work in Ireland

• 27-02-2002 1:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭

if i wne to england and bought one would it work here. i got an email from TIVO saying it would not.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

TIVO gets it programme data over a phoneline. There may be some special number for this in the UK that we cannot access, so if they say it won't work I think you would have to believe them.

Still no news on the availability of Sky + here yet, but I am still onto Sky about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭apiou

Normally TIVO will not work outside the UK - BUT we if you are a real techie you will probably be able to get something done and also upgrade to 60 hours of programming. TIVO will probably come to Ireland when DTT comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I think the main problem would be the subscription service. You would have to dial up to the UK. Without the daily update i think the machine is pretty much useless. You probably could get it to record without too much trouble but you wouldn't get any of the good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭EricM

i dont understand what this is all about

i wanted to get a tivo but now it seems i cant :mad:
    why does tivo need a subscription or phone line?
    all i want it for is a digital VCR to record movies from sky digital when im not home
    is there any dvd recorders that record movies onto dvd or some digital format?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

argos have dvd recorders from E800/900

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

There are a few dvd recorders available.

Argos have a Philips one for €899.99 (Page 663).

Well, the following is interesting!

Aparently you can programme Tivo over the net:
    http://217.33.154.203/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116033

and the following quote from that thread :
    It's called Turbonet and is installed into the TiVo. Then this allows it to be hooked up to broadband connections for internet interaction etc, have a search on the community forums or this thread;

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...light=turbo+net

Regarding Dvd recorders:
    Panasonic have a new one due out in the next month or so, expected to retail at about £550 stg, it's the DBR E30EBS

I've had the pioneer DVR7000 multi region for the last two months and it's a Sexy piece of Kit :)

Hth
    mm

*Edit*
    I think you have to be registered as a member of the forum's on the above thread links for to be able to view them
    *edit*

Advertisement