Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky+

• 27-02-2002 1:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭

Notice in the movie section of the new Sky magazine that there is an article on DD5.1. It says that DD5.1 is now available on Sky+ and to call 1800 800 800 for more information.

Also inserted in the magazine on a separate small piece of paper is an apology for this article stating that the relevant technology will be available in Ireland soon.

Must be close to release here?

Comments

They are teasing us:D
    mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Teasing us doesn't even come close.

I love watching Channel 998 to see what my Sky + box should be able to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

is there any technical reasons why sky+ wouldnt work here?
    do they have to make any changes to the hardware or software

at least with sky+ i can get rid of one of my remotes (see sig)

I have been told that there are no technical reasons why Sky + will not work here. In contact with Sky at the moment trying to get some movement on this issue.

Six remotes and counting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You need to et a learning/univeral remote.

I have only 2 remotes.! :p

• Advertisement

I am not sure if the universal remotes will be as simple to operate as the Sky+ one (see attached pic). I was thinking of getting one of those touch screen remotes (Pronto or the like) but I like the more regular buttons.

I know the current lot of universal remotes are very similar to the regular Sky ones, maybe the next lot will look (and act) like the Sky + remote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Shane,

Why do you have 6 remotes?

Have six,but they are never all used at the same time.

Sky +
    Amp
    Video
    DVD
    TV
    Hi Fi

Last two are rarely used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I really like the design of the Sky remotes, simply to use, without looking like a kids toy.

My Mitsubishi TV remote has 48 (!) buttons, all the same size, very bland and nondescript. I use the Sky one all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

SKY+ is dependant upon a subscription service for EPG updates. These are, as far as I am aware, done daily via your phone line. This is one problem, as there is no ROI number you would have to dial up to the UK for the updates. This is very annoying as SKY+ does have some cool features, not least DD5.1 . Another cool service you can get in the UK but not here is the extra viewing card for a reduced rate. For 12GBP you get a second viewing card to be used in a spare STB in the same household...a spare STB you might have, for example if you upgraded to SKY+. Who knows maybe we'll get SKY+ and it will come with UTV built in.

• Advertisement

Sky+ is dependant on a subscription charge for the recording functionality. The EPG is maintained through the satellite in exactly the same way as the normal Sky box. The phone connection on Sky + is used in exactly the same way as the regular box.

Dolby Digital 5.1 is quite good, however very few films are shown using it. From my own experience I would say it is maybe only 25% of the film on Sky Premiere widescreen.

Sky have said that the mirror subscription will become available here at the same time as Sky +.

Unfortunately Sky + does not have UTV built in :(

The phone line on the SKY+ box is used for the TIVO functionality. All the good stuff like the "thumbs up" and the "i like this actor show me all the programmes he will be in for the next month and while you're at it just record them all" to name but 2 features are derived from the dial up update. SKY+ is just a TIVO box with 2 digital tuners and therefore works the same way. As far as I know only Box Office are broadcasting in 5.1

Sky + does not have any of the "Thumbs up" or "Specific actors films" features that TIVO has. Sky+ will only record things that you have told it to. It basically is a very fancy VCR which uses the EPG instead of a timer and uses a disk instead of a tape. There is a fairly good presentation on Sky channel 998.

DD5.1 is currently only available on Sky Premiere Widescreen (Ch 305) and Sky Box Office Widescreen (Ch 760-761) but not all of the films are in 5.1.

So apart from the twin tuner feature it's not really a lot of cop. The pausing live tv is ok but £300 ok i don't know.

I will give a full review when I get the recording features activated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by MrEnvy
    SKY+ is dependant upon a subscription service for EPG updates. These are, as far as I am aware, done daily via your phone line. This is one problem, as there is no ROI number you would have to dial up to the UK for the updates. This is very annoying as SKY+ does have some cool features, not least DD5.1 . Another cool service you can get in the UK but not here is the extra viewing card for a reduced rate. For 12GBP you get a second viewing card to be used in a spare STB in the same household...a spare STB you might have, for example if you upgraded to SKY+. Who knows maybe we'll get SKY+ and it will come with UTV built in.

It actually uses the epg not the phone line. It's called a sunscription but in reality they are subsidising these boxes and the monthly fee is just a way of getting it back.

Regards Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

Like the digiboxes, Will SKY+ become the Subscribers property,
    say after a years rental?

I would imagine that after paying out £300Stg the box is your property straight away.

Originally posted by ShaneOC
    I would imagine that after paying out £300Stg the box is your property straight away.

Not if the box should retail at 800STG which is the price the guys in Pace told me, I guess it depends how the set the sale up whether a contract is mandatory or not.

Regards tony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Do you really need Sky+ to get DD5.1 though?
    I mean we all receive the same satellite signal don't we? (The UK and Eire). So, if your digibox have Digital-out, presumably you would also receive and could decode the DD5.1 signal?
    :confused:

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Krusty_Clown
    Do you really need Sky+ to get DD5.1 though?
    I mean we all receive the same satellite signal don't we? (The UK and Eire). So, if your digibox have Digital-out, presumably you would also receive and could decode the DD5.1 signal?
    :confused:

Unfortunately only the sony digibox has such an output at present

Regards Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Theres no way the box is worth 800STG, the harware in the STB Recorder is dirt cheap now.

They only have a 20Gig UDMA66 HD which you could get for <€80 after that its just an ordinary STB with some very limiting software.

>001:This programme cannot be recorded..thanks...

You can buy standard PVR's for 300STG now anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

Originally posted by Tony

Unfortunately only the sony digibox has such an output at present

Regards Tony

I remember reading somewhere that even the sony box wont give you dd5.1
    You must have the sky+ box

The Sony, has a digital optical connection.
    But afaik,Sky has not enabled the necessary software for it to output Dolby 5.1-but they have on the Sky plus:(
    you need an amp with a dd5.1 decoder connected to the 5 speakers(2Xmain front,2xrear,1x centre speaker and a sub woofer,being the "point one")
    mm

I have one of the Sony boxes. It does indeed have a didital out connection to connect to an off-board decoder and amp. I liked the sound of this when i got the box. Imagine my surprise when i got home, opened the box and discovered a little pamphlet from Sony informing me that the didital out feature was currently disabled.:mad: Obviously SKY did not want a free digibox to share "extra value" features with a forthcoming 300GBP box.

MrE

If your AV amp has Dolby prologic 2 as opposed to ordinary prologic.
    Then your amp will do amazing things with Sky's sound.
    It basically creates it's own version of 5.1 surround and makes rear speakers come alive.
    An amp like that would cost from about €400 or so
    mm

madman,

In the way that regular "Dolby Prologic" is the same as "Dolby Digital 2.0", is there as Dolby Digital number for Prologic II

Cheers
    Shane

Advertisement