Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wind & Rain Interference

• 27-02-2002 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

Does anyone else expierience alot of picture and sound interference when it is either raining heavilly outside or very windy? It is really annoying these days with all the bad weather we are getting, I have ended up watching RTE most nights as it is just unwatchable. The kids are going absolutly bonkers during the day not being able to watch Nick Jr.

What can I do, the dish seems to be as stable as it can be ???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ixtlan

What's your signal strength like?

Press services-> 4 -> 6

Make sure strength and quality are reasonably high.

I'm probably becoming known as the guy paranoid about the dish on his chimney but actually I have only lost the signal once due to bad weather, and that was an extraordinary downpour.

If your reception is dropping, then there must be something wrong. Maybe the dish has moved, or the LNB is faulty, or even the digibox.

Perhaps you will soon be able to comment on my query about repair costs!

Remember that wind damage is not covered under warranty, and you might possibly be better calling an independent rather than Sky. Read the repair cost thread.

Ix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

No matter how hard it rains we never have any probs even during the last few days, which is the heaviest rain i have ever seen.

You can see my strength/quality in the attachment, and make your comparisons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

No problems here! That includes snow last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Chernobyl, thats about as good as mine gets, and I'm not complaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

The severe winds that were blowing down here on Monday night knocked my dish out of alignment and I kept getting MPEG errors and the signal strength and quality bars were about 30%.

Upon returning home this evening I saw:

http://www.iol.ie/~pobtvs/digibox1.jpg

and

http://www.iol.ie/~pobtvs/digibox2.jpg

:(

Glenn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Never got any problems here no matter what the weather is like.

Brendan

I would try to align the dish yourself during the day, im sure you have a neighbour with a mini dish to offer you a rough guide to direction.

go on..align it yourself, its very easy.
    :)

Originally posted by chernobyl
    I would try to align the dish yourself during the day, im sure you have a neighbour with a mini dish to offer you a rough guide to direction.

I have a whole estate full of them...
    go on..align it yourself, its very easy.
    :)

That's what I thought until this afternoon... I'll try again tomorrow. Well I'll have to because my bones will have been dug up, experimented on by aliens and me cloned before I pay €108 for a re-alignment. [1]

Glenn

[1] Having said that, if all that happened I still wouldn't pay it.

Originally posted by bkehoe
    Never got any problems here no matter what the weather is like.

I hadn't either but the wind was *very* fierce. It knocked my UHF aerial askew too but that's easy enough fixed.

Glenn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by Glennus
    the wind was *very* fierce. It knocked my UHF aerial askew
    that happened to my whole road the other night and the wind very kindly blew my aerial in the direction of Dunmore East. now the reception is excellent :D

the channels which cause the problems for me during strong wind or heavy rain are Kerrang!, Magic, Smash Hits and FOX News. i haven't noticed any others. and it is really annoying when Kerrang! goes :mad: . and when we had ITV via Other Channels they went bad during strong winds or heavy rain also

• Advertisement

....and they are all on the same TP Mossy.

Originally posted by Mossy Monk

that happened to my whole road the other night and the wind very kindly blew my aerial in the direction of Dunmore East. now the reception is excellent :D

Unfortunately for me, I live there :/

I tend not to watch those channels anyway, because the picture quality is awful and it's a 4:3 crop of the Sky feeds. To be honest I'd rather have the old analogue Welsh channels, at least then you'd get semi-widescreen, NICAM sound and teletext, even if the picture did go a bit grainy sometimes.

Glenn

(sorry if I only seem to be complaining but it's just been one of those days :-/)

Originally posted by Glennus
    I'd rather have the old analogue Welsh channels, at least then you'd get semi-widescreen, NICAM sound and teletext, even if the picture did go a bit grainy sometimes.
    luckily i get those too. i don't know how i would cope without S4C though
    :rolleyes:
    to be fair on S4C, it is good if you miss something on Channel 4

Originally posted by chernobyl
    ....and they are all on the same TP Mossy.
    that explains it then. either my dish needs a nudge or my digibox needs a kick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Buy a proper dish, it will solve all your problems!

Originally posted by Lennoxschips
    Buy a proper dish, it will solve all your problems!

Sure the mini dish is not all singing quality but it is designed to do its role within a certain tolerance level which is exceeded by cowboy installers.
    no matter how strong the wind blows, a mini dish should not become mis aligned, the surface area + the fact that its a mesh dish means that it does not generate much load on its mount.

I bet most dish problems can be retraced back to a poor installation.

Advertisement