Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downloading hardrive from 1 PC 2 another

Options
  • 27-02-2002 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

How do I download my existing hardrive (HP E Brio P111 600) to my new computer (Compaq EVO D300 P4)? I have the crossover lead.

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭sinus

well if you want the exact data including the file system i would totally recommend Nortan Ghost.....

it creates an exact replica of your old HDD with out you having to load/partition windows or your programs again!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you're gonna transfer over HDD amounts of info (> 5GB) it's much easier to take out the old HDD and plug it into the new computer and copy the files over that way.

If you insist.........Make sure your network works (do a google search if you have probs) and allow the old HDD to be shared. Depends on what OS you're running of course........

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭halfab

If you want to try to transfer all applications and docs and all relevant dlls and registry entries while keeping your new PC&OS then PC Relocator is the job..
    client on one side ,host on the other and transfer ..
    Otherwise do as the man says and plug the drive in place of the cdrom drive to transfer the docs and then manually reinstall the need applications from your CDs.

If you still want to do it over the network you will have to set up file sharing .. and I recommend netbeui as a protocol as its the easiest to setup..

halfab

Originally posted by halfab
    If you want to try to transfer all applications and docs and all relevant dlls and registry entries while keeping your new PC&OS then PC Relocator is the job..

but does that copy the partition? In nortan ghost, it trasfers the partition onto a drive with no active partition
    plus it supports most File systems inc ext2

I would have assumed that both pcs have os's installed
    if you ghost it you have to install drivers again for the new pc, yea sure you will have your partitions intact but your windows may be unrelaible. Also the original may be win98 and the new could be winxp or winMe..
    where as pc relocator keeps the destination OS fully intact.

halfab

• Advertisement

That reads a bit odd, but I am sure you know what I mean,
    Ghosting is not recommended when shifting platforms ie from PIII to P4 different chipsets , different graphics drivers sound drivers .. you see where i am going.. ?...

halfab

its a pity u cant select the directories you want to transfer!
    - as cnet listed as its major con

Your can get some reg editors that can pick reg entries from one drive and place them in another and re compiling the registry for you with the new keys! never used one yet though....good idea if you were only tranferring s/w not o/s

does anyone know how to make a bootable restore disk??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Or you could, just put your feet up, grab a pipe and puff away :D

Advertisement