Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

email server

Options
  • 27-02-2002 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭

how do you setup a email server on win 2k advanced server? i was just messing around with it and was wondering how to do this also i was interested in hosting a web site and ftp site for personal use (on my own computer) using a 512k connection

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

You need some extra software to run it on windows, like Lotus Domino or Microsoft Exchange. You could also get mdaemon from www.deerfield.com and I'm sure you can get numerous free ones from Tucows.

For web servers you can use IIS, just make sure you apply all the pathes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭irishguy

i was trying to find IIS for win 2k server but i can only find it for NT 4.0. I was actualy looking for free software as i only wanted to mess around with it and figure out how to do it afer it is setup i will never use it like most things i do , i just want to know how to do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭halfab

Try Vpop3 Email Server .. it will run on an thing from win95 yech! to winxp .. its very simple to get to grips.. www.pscs.co.uk

l8r

halfab

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭lynchie

Use Apache for your webserver and PMail for your mail server

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by irishguy
    how do you setup a email server on win 2k advanced server? i was just messing around with it and was wondering how to do this also i was interested in hosting a web site and ftp site for personal use (on my own computer) using a 512k connection
    It has its own smtp server
    afair go to admin tools in control panel
    inetrnet services manager and if you expand your computer name you should see your smtp server listed.
    If you don't-you will have to add it-I think from windows componenets in add remove programs
    John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

IIS only has an SMTP relay as far as i know, so that rules that out. That ciggy smoking man is right, you need 3rd party in this case. I recommend tucows.

http://esatnet.tucows.com

Rent

Advertisement