Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

slow win98 se!?!?!?! this has me stumped

• 27-02-2002 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭

this one has me stumped-
    i recently downgraded my mobo at work (took the faster one home - hehehehehe)

so this is the case now 333mhz P2 MMX 256 ram 30gb Hdd + DVD

fine

reloaded the drivers

fine

restarted

wait a sec.

when i click my computer it takes about 5 mins for it to come up (sounds like out of ram- but thats not it - trust me )
    when i try and type an address in IE5.5 it takes about 5 mins before i can get past the second character in a url
    When saving a document it takes about 5 mins for it open my list of drives
    etc etc

then after these probs when i repeat those steps its fine until i restart then its back to square one

this is not a memory problem as i tried more mem and other sticks of mem.......
    i also tried changing to ata-100 ide cables from 66 and messed about in bios
    anyone think it might be a flash bios upgrade?
    anyone have a clue?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

are you connecting to a network? that can cause a slow down, or maybe the comps running a virus scan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭sinus

i am connecting to a network, but thats not it as i sometimes have to work "offline"

as for virus scan - nope

running taskman, firewall, java vm, pop3trap and i know none of them are stealling my mem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

would be several things, what was the orginal board.

could be your l2 cache getting bogged down, could be to many things trying to run at start up.

try removing things from your start config file, the inclosed program not upload, its called regcleaner anyway

you probably more then likely have some resource hog running in the background like ms office taskbar

i have feck all progs running in bg
    i edit the hk_localmachine/software/microsoft/windows/currentedition/run

reg entry delete all mem heavy progs and now, as i said b4, all i have it firewall/taskmon/pop3trap running

it must be the mobo - chaintech 6l tm2

hold on, did you format after installing the older board?

• Advertisement

nope.......... seriously thinking now...

maybe hdd is forked?

more likely when windows was installed it installed drivers and configured itself around a certain cpu and motheroard and now you ripped them out and at every start up it will spend time look for the motherboard, cpu, memory, the things you cant install a driver for.

Im surprised you os even loads up, go format the hard rie and reinstall the os, its the only way it will be right again

dude,

when you change your mobo, its a simple case of reloading the mobo drivers cd, and letting win see the rest....i do it everyday in work....never a prob

windows knows that when i device is removed that its removed
    and when a new one replaces it it updates changes

and i have done all that and its not looking for anymore devices, and what devices it has found are all valid - there are no yellow or red remarks allowed in my control panel

yea right sure, Click here

dont take my word on it, im not going to argue, thats the problem your question has been answered.

Btw im not a dude, a bud, a chum, a pall, a mate or anything like that.

thanks for the help anyways

just seen it work too many times

does anyone know how to do a flash bios upgrade??

• Advertisement

its easy, whats your motherboard make and model

Originally posted by sinus

it must be the mobo - chaintech 6l tm2

Go to the the makers site and download the bios update for your board. you will need the exe file for your type of bios (awdflash.exe, pflash16 or amiflash) and the .bin file for your model board.

Warning

Upgrading a BIOS without knowing the implications may cause serious adverse effects. Please do not upgrade a BIOS unless you know what you are doing. Myself or Board.ie are not able to responsible for mis-used or damaged BIOS chips in the event of a BIOS flash failure. Please contact your dealer for replacements or warranty service.

make a boot disk,( i persume you know how)

Boot Disk - Refers to either a Windows 95 or Windows 98 boot disk. Any other type of boot disk might load memory resident programs which will interfer with the flash process. Make sure you hit the F5 key when the boot disk first starts running to make sure no other programs are loaded in the back ground without your knowledge.
    Utility - Refers to the flash program that is needed in order to get the bios file programed on the motherboards bios chip. (such as awdflash.exe, pflash16 or amiflash)
    File to program - Refers to the actual bios file that is downloaded from the website. You must always run a winzip program on the file to insure that it is in the appropriate .rom or .bin format before flashing.
    Hard boot - Hard boot - refers to turning off the system´s power and turning it back on.

Hard boot the system using the boot disk.

Make sure that you hit the F5 key when the boot disk first starts running to make sure no other programs are loaded in the background without your knowledge.

You will come to an A: prompt. Remove the disk.

Insert the second disk containing the flash utility and the file to program. Type "dir" to check the disk contents.

Type the utility name followed by a space, followed by the file to program and hit "enter" on the keyboard.
    Example: flashv73 2090v100.bin (enter key) or amiflash 2060v103.rom (enter key)

Clear the CMOS. Reboot system and the flashed version of the BIOS should now be present on your monitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Had the same problem before on a system that does not have a floppy drive. Someone clever decided to enable to drive in the BIOS anyway, but disable error reporting The result being the system booted fine but would sit there for a couple of minutes when you tried to open Explorer.
    So yup I'd imagine it's summat to do with Win9x and how it's detected your hardware.
    And sinus, Boston's right, if you swap motherboards reinstall. Otherwise the system may seem to work okay at first but you're now running an OS with identity issues :). Seriously there'll be mismatched DLLs all over the place and at the very least you'll have a bloated installation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I had this before straight after a reinstall of win98se.
    It was i had downloaded something from an FTP site my explorer took ages to load drives and such .
    I clearded the history and deleted the link to the file as FTP sites are basically folders on the web it never happened again after that.
    Kdja

Advertisement