Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A chance to vent ya spleen

Options
  • 28-02-2002 1:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

Ive noticed alot mentioned about wireless and wired networks lately and im a little confused.What id like to see is a list of pros and cons for both as at the moment wireless to me seems like all pros i have to admit ive been heavly influenced by an artical posted here a month or two ago by some ex head of somewhere or other :) soz im to lazy to go back and find the letter that was posted.

Wireless pros

faster
    lower maintance
    quicker to roll out
    Open to all operators(possibly)

cons

requires investment

wired pros

Its here now
    Can be accessed by anyone with existing hardware(ie modem/phone)

cons

slow
    conguested
    costly to lay new wires
    harder to find faults
    Adsl tecknology limited by distance
    High maintanace
    loop owned by "EIRCOM"

Stone:D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Oh, this /is/ going to be a good thread... :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Tumble weed rolls by hehehe nice one Dahamsta you put the kiss of death on it hehehehe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Manic

Originally posted by Stonemason
    Tumble weed rolls by hehehe nice one Dahamsta you put the kiss of death on it hehehehe.

I do not think so. Myself any many others like me that have been a victim and fallen foul to Eircom are looking at this as a means of escape from Eircom. Internet Access is totally governed by Eircom at the moment in one way or another. Eircom have monoply over
    every landline in the Country. But Wireless? From what I have read so far, going Wireless is a means of ousting Eircom from its monoply. I know nothing about it. But if it is a way of giveing Eircom a kick in the ass im all for it.

Manic

This post was not spell checked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

If your looking to find out about it then go to www.irishwan.org and then check out the boards at www.irishwan.org/boards if you want to ask a Q or just see what other people have been asking

I'm not going to say that wireless is better that a good lease line it's not.
    But you can set them up much cheaper and works better in open spaces like outside city’s where DSL might take years to get out there.
    Wireless will work in the city and might be the first place we will see it being sold.
    But the cost is much higher with line of site problems from the building in the city, But with a possible higher number of users, might mean the city would be a better return on the money spent building the network.

The other place you will see it is in local network setup by people for there own use.
    One of them being sharing a broadband connection with people who can not get one.
    Where if one person had DSL in a town they could use wireless to have 4/5 people outside the town there they can’t get DSL to share it across the wireless network.

hope them helps a bit

Advertisement