Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Digital Colour

• 28-02-2002 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

:confused: Can anyone answer why my sky digital colour appears in black and white at times and at other time with the colours distorted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Is it specific to a few channels or all?

What make and how old is your TV, and do you use RF or Scart?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 bdg

Tv is a Sanyo of about 3 years old and the digibox is a silver grundig of about 1 year old. It happens with all channels and I use a scart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Originally posted by bdg
    Tv is a Sanyo of about 3 years old and the digibox is a silver grundig of about 1 year old. It happens with all channels and I use a scart.

Is the scart lead connected properly? Is it in the proper TV scart socket and not the VCR one? (TV socket should be the bottom socket on a Grundig) Do you have the picture output set to PAL or RGB? If RGB, does your tv support RGB signals? Does the colour distortion happen when watching via the RF socket?

HTH,

Glenn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by bdg
    :confused: Can anyone answer why my sky digital colour appears in black and white at times and at other time with the colours distorted.

Make sure the sanyo tv is not set to s-vhs in the set up menu

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

I have a grundig box too, and this occassionally happens - even the EPG comes up in black and white. From the replies here it doesn't seem to be a common problem - up til now I assumed it was a bad signal which effected all users - guess it is probably a problem with Grundig boxes.

I also notice that if you use the + channels button to scan up the channels rapidly, once you hit about 400 the EPG for Interactive comes on for no reason. I wonder if this is another little Grundig bug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭mocar

mine does the same and its a grundig silver box. I too thought that it was just the signal coming in wonky....
    Ive done all the wiggling of wires etc. but no joy
    mo

just realised Gengis you are in the midlands too... maybe a midlands problem???
    mo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

no problems at all with the black Grundig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

Originally posted by mocar
    mine does the same and its a grundig silver box. I too thought that it was just the signal coming in wonky....
    Ive done all the wiggling of wires etc. but no joy
    mo

That's the one I have.

Possibly a midlands problem, perhaps pov of installer, rather than transmission (is satellite subject to geographic discrepancies within the main footprint?).

Which county was your installer from?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

I do not think this problem is limited to the midlands.
    I'm in Dublin and suffer from this problem too.
    I have a silver Grundig digibox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

well im in cork and i have no problems with my silver grundig box
    well not yet anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

same thing happends on my silver grundig box on chanel 327 TMC and no the menu a few days ago ? werid

Coyote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 bdg

Thanks Glennus and Tony for the info.
    I have finally solved the problem. The tv as suggested had only one rgb scart socket, therefore I patched the correct sockets to each other, set both the tv and digibox to the appropriate settings(i.e. colour output type on digibox to match colour input type on tv) and bobs your uncle all is appearing in perfect picture quality. :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Excellent! Another fine days work from the ICDG/boards.ie community!

Take a bow, young sirs!

"I love it when a plan comes together!"

Originally posted by bdg
    Thanks Glennus and Tony for the info.

No problem, I'm always happy to help a soul in need :-)

Now if I could only manage to re-align my own dish... *grumble grumble*... no signal no matter wherever I move it... *grumble grumble*... ;-)

Glenn

BTW did this manage to fix the problems of the other users who reported the same symptoms?

Glenn

im in laois btw. I hope it would help if i could understand the instructions. :-(. A bit of a non technie here....

mo.

Originally posted by mocar
    im in laois btw. I hope it would help if i could understand the instructions. :-(. A bit of a non technie here....

mo.

If your TV is connected to the digibox by a scart lead, check that the scart lead is inserted properly, and that it's in the bottom scart socket on the digibox.

Press 'services' on your remote, then press 4, then 1. You should now be in picture/display settings. Check whether the scart control is set to on or off (set it to on), and check whether the picture output is set to PAL or RGB (RGB is best if your TV supports it, but set it to PAL and see if the problem goes).

If your TV is only connected via the RF socket (aerial lead), switch the digibox off while viewing the channel it is tuned into, and see if there is any interference from other channels on that channel number. If there is you will need to change the channel output setting in the secret installers menu, to do this press 'services', 4, 0, 1, and then 'select'. Then choose the RF outlets setting and type in a free channel number between 21 and 69 (the lowest free channel number possible is best, as this gives the best picture quality [not as good as SCART though]).

HTH,

Glenn

thanks glenn hope i can follow it... will try to be sober...
    will report back maybe by the weekend....
    mo

Advertisement