Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More ESAT

• 01-02-2001 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

The last 3 nights I have phoned them as I have had to endure about 40 engaged tones before I connect. The customer service monkey is like 'yeah its because people are abusing it'. I dont care what anyone says , when I signed up there was no talk about a 3 hour cutoff and I am prepared to send a mail to complain because no matter what half of england has done when this is happened I personally dont think it is right. I wouldnt be so ****ed off were it not for the fact that they are a crap ISP anyway and I have had dropped connections etc. I agree with some other posts on this board , we are not an ecommerce hub with half the nation using 56k modems...

esat ****in fools

Gun ;-p

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

eh
    just keep mailing them and saying that wasn't the contract you aggreed to
    check out the other esat posts see what other people are doing also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Connecting to Esat has been abysmally worse since they announced the 3 hour cut off point... there's a silly conspiracy theory on one mailing list that the fact is related...

Esat: let's make connection terrible so people will buy into our plan of cutting off people after three hours for better service

Sounds a bit sophisticated a plot for any irish telco to me smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

esat aren't really to blame for lots of dropped connections. since i got hi-speed, i don't think surf-no-limits has dropped even once, its more line quality problems that esats dialup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

Eh that's what I am going to do, I have as I mentioned checked out the other posts, my point is really that the cut-off is wrong but more that the line is always engaged now....thus this post

Eh ok ? ;-)

I used to get a lot of line drops but not now (since its always engaged)
    >>eh
    >>just keep mailing them and saying that >>wasn't the contract you aggreed to
    >>check out the other esat posts see what >>other people are doing also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭THE SPERMINATOR

Huh butch u useing sfu on isdn ????

Stone biggrin.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by THE SPERMINATOR:
    Huh butch u useing sfu on isdn ????

Stone biggrin.gif
    </font>

AFAIK, nolimits don't do isdn, however to have isdn requires a high line quality so when you make an analogue connection using an ISDN you get a more reliable connection.

It aint the line they change its the little box at the exchange ?????.Unless its not the line from your house to the exchange but perhaps they connect you via a better line out of the exchange ooooooo its all so complicated mhahhaah.

Stone biggrin.gif

BTW chorus and unison are talking umetered access for £20 so maybe us isdn user may get a lick of the brass ring [yuk] hehe

ps what the fup is AFAIK

[This message has been edited by THE SPERMINATOR (edited 02-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by THE SPERMINATOR (edited 02-02-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

If you have a bad line and want ISDN then, either they fix the line, or you don't get ISDN. You usually need to pester them if this is the case.

With a good line, then all they need to do is tweak the exchange.

Good news about chorus and unison.

AFAIK is short for "as far as i know", AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Oooooooo, chorus/unison unmetered eh...
    any hard facts on this, or pure speculation, or what? smile.gif

Moriarty
    moriarty@gamersfm.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Unmetered modem/isdn access? Or is this their broadband service with the manky 3gig download limit you're talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ButcherOfNog:
    its more line quality problems that esats dialup.</font>

Nah, I don't agree mate frown.gif
    I have a perfect line, nine times out of ten, I'd connect to IOL No Limits (which I signed up about a year ago) at 50,666kpbs without getting engaged tones. And when playing on the Irish Counter Strike servers, I'd get a ping of about 140-170. I'd also get a d/l rate of 5.5k on average.

But now, aww... now it's just gone down the tube. Multiple re-dials, ping of 250+ if I'm lucky and sloppy d/l rates. I haven't even touched my connection settings/modem/line at all. It really only 'broke down' a few weeks ago frown.gif

Make the hurting stop. Please.

Nil Desperandum

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Spoonman

Yes, I'd be lucky these days to get over 1k/sec downloads on esat during 'peak' hours, dial ocean and I get average 4.7k/sec? after about 2am downloads are 4.7k sec on esat? I dont think its peoples dodgy lines and dodgy modems. From my experence of late its good line, good modem and bad bad esat.

As far as chorus and unison go

Its actually printed on the leaflets they've been posting around here [tip] says COMING SOON chorus and unison will be delivering unlimited net access for £20 a month.Now i like to belive if they have gone to the trouble of printing it on said leaflets then hopefully they will come thro with it.As for weather or not it will be for isdn users to is anyones guess but as unison do a free isdn service [local call not withstanding]i reckon theres a good chance but don't quote me on that lol.Added tipbit chorus are supposed to be launching there broadband service in limerick in April so this may be the time there rather vague COMING SOON remarks refers to.

Stone biggrin.gif

with every appendage crossed

Chorus powernet is available to me already... in just outside limerick..
    Id have it already if it wasnt for the dodgy 3Gb download limit :/

Moriarty
    moriarty@gamersfm.com

[This message has been edited by Moriarty (edited 03-02-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

arrrr i hope it becomes available to me soon, im in shannon, but have received no word of this so far...

prop6.gif

Moriarty where you at ?

I only ask as i live out by nenagh.Just wondering if you know if we will get this service soonish i would talk to chorus myself but i think we all know that would be pointless grrr.
    Out of curiosity you can get it via cable not transmiter right ?

Stone biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ButcherOfNog:
    its more line quality problems that esats dialup.</font>

Boll0cks. The problem is purely at Esat's end. You should be able to connect with ANY modem... (even a clunky old 14.4Kbps or - worse still! - a WAP phone!) - the problem is, plain and simple, not enough modems on Esat's end. They seem to think that imposing a 3 hour limit on a connection will help this. They're wrong of course- while it may reduce the number of engaged tones slightly, it's not a fix to the true problem which is that they don't have sufficient infrastructure in place to deal with the demands on their systems.

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted. -Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929-1968)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Nah its not line quality. Well it is, but no more so than with any other isp. Esat are just particularly bad. Strangely enuff I almost always have a good connect and a pretty decent 170-190 server ping for games, 4-5 kb/s dl speed (6kbs on a close server)

same here - rare enough that I get a problem connecting - and if I do, a couple of redials (max) gets me through fine, with no disconnections.

I couldn't be ar$ed complaining about the 3hr limit. If I REALLY need to go on longer (which is rare), I'll re-connect. I use the net all day in work, and I also do have a life / better things to do in the evenings biggrin.gif

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted. -Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929-1968)

Bard

I dont think that people who disagree with the 3 hour cutoff 'dont have a life'. I also use the internet in work all day but in the evenings and at weekends I like to leave my pc connected to irc and also download tunes with napster. It is unrealistic to think that just because your connected to esat you are constantly sitting at your pc.

• Advertisement

Bard, who mentioned anything about staying connected all weekend??? This point about 'having better things to do' doesnt make any sense and it totally irrelevant to this discussion.
    If I go home and want to download a large file (be it the latest game patches, mp3s whatever) some of these take longer than 3 hours and it is a pain to get disconnected. This was a point made on that Sky News 'Technofile' program where their regular contributor steered uk people away from ISP's with cut offs. 3 hours is not sufficient for large downloads at 56k simple as that.

Then dont use IE to download your files tongue.gif
    If you use any sort of download manager, you will be able to resume your download, and the same goes for using FTP's. Oh, and how come you always seem to have something new to start *****ing off about..

Moriarty
    moriarty@gamersfm.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I try and connect anytime during 8 to 10pm and at least 15-25 redials (max redials is set to 50 and it has hit this limit on occasion), apart from that once connected its usually alright... spiking for the first 5 minutes is all.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gunn4r:
    in the evenings and at weekends I like to leave my pc connected to irc and also download tunes with napster. It is unrealistic to think that just because your connected to esat you are constantly sitting at your pc.</font>

Re-connecting after 3 hours is easy. Having your PC connected to the net ALL weekend is simply hogging the bandwidth. While I disagree with Esat having such limited resources, they do still have them and all their subscribers should get a chance to make use of them.

However, I'm not going to get any deeper into an argument about it than that. Both sides have very valid points and I agree with the vast majority of them. I'd prefer to be able to leave my PC online all weekend, but it'd be unfair to others to do so (and I've better things to do), so I don't.

I dont use IE to download files, where did u get that from? Also I dont get this attitude about oh here we go he is giving out again, this is a discussion board for discussion....duh....I believe my points are valid so like get over it

I dont use IE to download files, where did you get that impression? Also whats this about 'oh here we go again' this is a discussion board and this thread is about esat, it is FOR discussion. Incidentally to everyone interested in the actual issue itself I have found it easier to connect in the last few days and have noticed speeds have increased. Also this 3 hour cutoff is not working properly as I was logged on for more than three hours last nite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

As far as I know, the 3 hour cut off doesn't start until March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gunn4r:
    Also this 3 hour cutoff is not working properly as I was logged on for more than three hours last nite.</font>
    See Stephens post.

Well gunn4r, since you dont use IE to download, i presume you use some sort of download manager.. So whats your big problem? They cut you off after 3 hours.. big ****ing deal, just auto redial ffs :/

Moriarty
    moriarty@gamersfm.com

• Advertisement

There aint a download manager that resumes napster downloads is there? Redial is **** all use if your playing counter strike is it? Chances are you had to endure engaged tones to get on in the first place and may have even had to wait for a slot on the server only to get dropped?Dont be so blinkered.
    Incidentally Esat was the worst ever last nite with loads I got dropped after about an hour having got loads of engaged tones to get on.

Advertisement