Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More ESAT

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Different people use their internet services for different applications. Just because you may use the interent for email and a glance at what's on telly for the night, doesn't mean there aren't people designing, developing, downloading, chatting etc connected to ESAT at that same time. Have a think about what sort of closed minded person would imply that these people 'have no life'.

imo Esat imposing this 3 hour cutoff is a denial of service to it's subscribers who, in fact, signed up in the first place purely because of their internet connectivity requirements and cost savings. I wonder if it will remain in place long after they increase their capacity to cater for their customer base?

Lucutus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

Lucutus, I agree with you totally. Bard, I agree we should wait and see what happens but some of your points are totally ridiculous, yes you mentioned about staying on all weekend , not me. Some people do want to spend 3 hours in front of their pc or even want the ease of using it for a bit and returning to it for a bit, leaving downloads etc. I have NO difficulty using download managers. Re:Napster I do indeed infringe copyrights but I do not think I am alone in this. You failed to address the issue of online gaming completely. You should read Lucutus post again and broaden your horizon re:net use. What about people who log into work using the net (like I do) etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Well I for one never said that people who use the net a lot at home have no life. I just said that I do have one smile.gif. I never said, either, that I support Esat in imposing the 3hr limit ... I don't, but it's difficult to take a standpoint or really fault them when I, like many others I'm sure, am not affected by it because I generally don't go online at home for more than three hours at one sitting.

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 07-02-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Ph0t0n

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bugler:
    arrrr i hope it becomes available to me soon, im in shannon, but have received no word of this so far...
    </font>

poor you. i work in shannon and i'd say the
    internet is the only thing to do there at night.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gunn4r:
    Re:Napster I do indeed infringe copyrights but I do not think I am alone in this.</font>
    Not being alone in breaking copyright law doesn't make you any less wrong for doing it. Don't expect Esat or any other ISP to facilitate you or help you specifically with Napster.
    You failed to address the issue of online gaming completely.</font>
    I didn't "fail" to address it, I avoided addressing it. I can't give an opinion on it if I don't have an opinion on it.
    You should read Lucutus post again and broaden your horizon re:net use.</font>
    I don't need to broaden my horizons, thanks. I know already how wide and varied the use of the Internet can be. That doesn't mean, though, that I can comment or have an opinion on every aspect of it.

Cheers,

Bard

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted. -Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929-1968)

• Advertisement

Sorry Bard this is where I leave it. Your points of view are simply wrong to me and always will be;-p
    I dont expect ESAT to help me break copyright law (how stoopid is this?). My opinion on online gaming is simple getting dropped mid game is not good , full stop. Hopefully this will help you form an opinion as understanding that concept shouldnt be too hard. You havent broadened your horizon, what about people using the internet for work? You failed to address that too ;-)They dont expect ESAT to help them either you know but getting kicked.
    Telling people 'I have a life' is quite arrogant and in my experience those who run around saying such things usually dont ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Gunner, anyone who uses the net for work, shouldnt be stuck on a manky dial up connection, and if they are (pitty them) they should be using a subscription ISP that dosent have the user load of esat... Say Indigo, or any of those others...

Secondly, why not just redial before you go off for your game of CS? After 3 hours you will in all fairness prolly be finished playing, and will be doing somin else.... When you go to the toilet, redial then tongue.gif

Thirdly, dont use napster, its **** smile.gif

Moriarty
    moriarty@gamersfm.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

I find the IOL "Gold" service which I sometimes use at work almost as bad as nolimits for engaged tones. With Indigo, no problems.

Agreed!

... with Moriarty that is.

Chill, y'all biggrin.gif

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted. -Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929-1968)

Bard, who mentioned anything about staying connected all weekend???
    </font>

I did.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    This point about 'having better things to do' doesnt make any sense and it totally irrelevant to this discussion.
    </font>

Of course it makes sense. Of course it's relevant! Why? Because many people, like me, have better things to do than spend over 3 hours a night sat in front of a PC using the net for any reason, and so the three hour cut off doesn't really affect me. That's how it's relevant.
    If I go home and want to download a large file (be it the latest game patches, mp3s whatever) some of these take longer than 3 hours and it is a pain to get disconnected.
    </font>

Then use a download manager. Practically all decent ftp sites can resume transfers these days. Re-connect and use a download manager. It's not THAT difficult.
    There aint a download manager that resumes napster downloads is there?
    </font>

Of course there isn't. Every time you connect to Napster, it's possible that you'll get connected to a different server with a different user base. If you're to be honest with yourself and with the rest of us here, you're probably infringing on copyright most of the time with your use of Napster so the only fair answer when you get disconnected doing that is... tough shít tongue.gif

• Advertisement

I dont use dial up from work but often check my mail / download documents from our exchange server from home.

I still dont agree with the 3 hour cutoff;-) Getting dropped during CS is unacceptable ;-)

Napster is not **** incidentally especially when your on t3 (looks at his stack of mp3 cd's)

Volta have added their voice to the debate with the following in Mondays issue of their NetGains newsletter:
    IOL Unlimited Limits Access
    When IOL offered its unlimited access off-peak service to customers at a
    fixed price, users of the service didn't bank on being turfed off after a
    three hour stint. Yet this is what Esat Fusion, who own IOL, plan to
    introduce, a service that will automatically log you off once your
    'unlimited´ three hours are up. 'You can log straight back on again' explains
    Andrew Conlon Trant of Esat Fusion 'Not if it's busy,' responds the irate
    payers. "Or if I'm in the middle of a download', 'Or I'm asleep!". Users
    have many reasons for opting for unlimited access, which IOL are not
    considering. The company is automatically assuming people are surfing the
    Internet, but there are many reasons why a user might want to leave the
    service open, and this three hour limitation hinders their options. Esat
    Fustion explained that the bouncer service is needed because of a few users
    logging onto the service and using up the network resources, but surely
    unlimited access should not be introduced if the network capacity is not
    sufficient to carry such users? Having raised the subscription price for
    this service when it was first introduced, is the company now going to
    lower the cost, as it can no longer claim to offer unlimited access?
    </font>

Interesting post. Just when you thought the thread was dead eh;-) Just an update from me in case anyone cares, the service was fine right for a good few days right up until last nite when it went ****ed up again ;-( Serious trouble getting through and dropped etc. Needless to say I have called and emailed etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bard:
    Boll0cks. The problem is purely at Esat's end. You should be able to connect with ANY modem... (even a clunky old 14.4Kbps or - worse still! - a WAP phone!) - the problem is, plain and simple, not enough modems on Esat's end. They seem to think that imposing a 3 hour limit on a connection will help this. They're wrong of course- while it may reduce the number of engaged tones slightly, it's not a fix to the true problem which is that they don't have sufficient infrastructure in place to deal with the demands on their systems.
    </font>

Ah i know the engaged tones are due to lack of modems, the number of dropped calls tho is what i was talking about, i had plenty of them before i got isdn, i've had none that i can remember since it was installed.

the thing is, esat either introduce a cutoff (v cheap solution) or they provide more modems (v costly solution). they have to be seen to be doing 'something', so they're going down the cheap route.

Honestly, we know what they should do, but it doesn't take a genius to work out what they WILL do. smile.gif

Advertisement