Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Shopping at www.peats.ie

• 28-02-2002 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Just thought I would let ppl know the kind of operation they are running down in 'ol Peats online store (this aint a rant post just for your information).

I placed an order which is meant to ship 1 - 2 days. This is day three and still no sign and no debit from my credit card so I email (twice) and ring (twice) and eventually get a nice lady who tells me the following.

"There are only two people down there and have other projects to work on and cant always handle the orders!"

good eh ? ;-) now I can wait to be honest but wouldnt order from them if I needed stuff in a hurry...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They're not much different in person either..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Mr .Bungle

I agree they are ****, i was supposed to get my mp3 player replaced cause it broke. It was supposed to be replaced a week ago but after walking from Grafton street up there in the pouring rain and various phone calls, still no replacement. Also when u ring them there is never anyone availible to talk to u from the components deparment. And i mean never, i have rang a number of times, different days, different times and each time i get "sorry the guy from components is on a break or off pickin his arse etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

ive the best story.

I walk in looking for a cable, i find the cable i need on deplay, i pick it up and bring it to the teller, it doesnt have a bar code or price on it so he goes off to check it out.

10 minutes later he arrives back with no cable and talking to a guy about how to do euro convertion. i stand there for another 15 minutes while this is explained to him, when hes finished he looks up and says "o yea wo dont have that in stock". i thought to my self "but i just handed it to you" i stear him right in the eye, turn and wall out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

If you go in there enough, you will realise that there are some people in there who actually do know their stuff, so you just queue up and wait for them. The others do not know a thing, and couldn't care less about you, but you learn to avoid them. I've generally had very good experience with peats, apart from their pricing. I'll give some examples. I bought a motherboard in there about 2 years ago now. It had various problems, but was still basically working. I brought it back, and they replaced it on the spot with a better version, which normally cost a bit more. This board worked for about 6 months, it then died for no apparent reason. I brought it back, they didn't have a replacement in stock, but the manager ordered one in, this took a few days, and the new board is still working fine.

A while back I wanted parts for an infrared reciever, I went in and the assistant knew exactly what I was talking about, and sorted it out very quickly.

A few days later when I went to solder it together, I noticed that the pinout for one of the components seemed to be different than I had expected, so I had no idea which wire did what. I emailed them and they sent an email back the same day with a scan of the pinout from their printed catalogue.

I will agree that that ringing their components department is a nightmare, so I simply go in if I want something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Ah you gotta love Peats... whenever I'm buying anything there, I always allow at least 25 mins from the time I approach the counter with my money and the time I leave with what I came for.
    They have a strange way of dragging out even the most trivial of purchases.

"Wait there while I dissapear for 10 minutes without explaination, then when I come back - I'll have a nice lengthy chat with some other guy, then maybe, just maybe, if you're lucky : I'll remember to come back and say "hi" before dissapearing again..."

Having said that, at least they try to be helpful :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 aus_boy

Originally posted by Gunn4r
    Just thought I would let ppl know the kind of operation they are running down in 'ol Peats online store (this aint a rant post just for your information).

I placed an order which is meant to ship 1 - 2 days. This is day three and still no sign and no debit from my credit card so I email (twice) and ring (twice) and eventually get a nice lady who tells me the following.

"There are only two people down there and have other projects to work on and cant always handle the orders!"

good eh ? ;-) now I can wait to be honest but wouldnt order from them if I needed stuff in a hurry...

call and ask for Jon Cahill. Tell him you know me. He's the assistant manager in Peats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

... The word spreads for miles from village to village each person uttering the name "Jon Cahill", he is the saviour , the new king they say, he will end the intolerable customer service in Peats ....

All I can say is that Jon Cahill will probably get dozens of calls now, a great friend you are.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

Me: Hi Jon its **** here
    JC: Ok
    Me: I am a mate of aus_boy's
    JC : Excuse me?
    Me: You know aus_boy from boards.ie
    JC: Is this a joke

etc.

only kidding ;-) Nah I wont be callin I can wait, thanks tho

I am sure you wont be able to sleep until you hear the end of this, rang the store and eventually got through to the "web team" and the guy was like no we have no stock followed by "oh no wait I think I see one on the floor"

order cancelled and will buy me feckin cdrw somewhere else, avoid Peats y'all....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

I've dealt with peats quite alot and never had any problems with them.

I've often went in looking for specific electronic components (sometimes quite obscure ones) and they've always been able to help or find someone that could help.

Have to say Peats is about my favourite Electronics store in Dublin.

.logic.

• Advertisement

yeah I know they are great for dropping in and getting actual components (capacitors etc) and stuff but their website store sucks is all I am saying, it should not say 1 - 2 days delivery and then when I ring on day 3 say they havent even processed it because some guy is sick and they are busy ;-/

anyway what I was buying was 160 euro, compustore have it for 200 so I got them top ring peats and now compustore and selling it to me for 160!

good eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Yea, but CompuStore sucks. Hello?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Support the decent people.
    If Peats go out of business we'll be pretty much flucked for any sort of home elctronics.

Their pricing seems a bit awkward, but not overly so.
    The Website does need to be more specific and forthcoming with info, but it's not a bad effort, as web-stores go.

'hello' compustore may indeed suck but they gave me what I was looking for at the price I wanted , I mean if Eircom offered you reasonable affordable ADSL tomorrow you would not take it cos they are muppets or they suck???

I agree their site looks good but they give out incorrect delivery information and all the aesthetics in the world dont mean squat unless you get what you order,

I like the way online stores and prices are discussed in this forum and wanted to let you know that peats (albeit a good store with components / electronics) have a sucky website which ships late is all

;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Compustore are definitely nothing to write home about either - although my experience has been almost exclusively with the Galway branch, so if others have better things to say I'd love to hear of it.

They're pricing is inconsistent; the web pricing often doesn't match the in-store pricing, and on certain occasions, there are two prices posted side-by-side for the same item on the shelf! (and no, I don't mean an ordinary price and a sale price, I mean two ordinary prices!)

The worst situations are for a DVD-ROM drive I bought for myself and (more recently) a modem I bought for a local guy whose computer got struck by lightning.

First, I bought a cheapo (but region-free :D) 16x CTX (OEM) DVD-ROM for myself, and when I first opened the box I found a Samsung 4x that had a Compustore ID number and the word "FAULTY" written across it in big black marker! I rang Compustore up, got on (eventually) to a nice bloke in their (aherm) "Tech Support" called (IIRC) Jonathan, and once he realised what had happened asked me to bring it in and replaced it. The replacement was the right model, but faulty, so had to replace that too. The current one I have still has problems (like a very annoying squeal that sounds like a slipping drive belt (!?) every now and again) and an unusual keenness to spin down between bursts of data transfer, which makes "on the fly" disc copies virtually impossible. But enough about that.

The modem I bought, while it was to be a cheapo (20 quid softmodem), well, I had expected that it would be installed and have been used for a bit, not be pre-lightning-struck before delivery! Yep, the modem had at least one component visibly blown clear off the board when I took it out of the wrapping.

Moral of the story: Open the box before you take it home.

Gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by Inspector Gadget
    and on certain occasions, there are two prices posted side-by-side for the same item on the shelf! (and no, I don't mean an ordinary price and a sale price, I mean two ordinary prices!)
    Maybe it was Euro and Punt? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

CompuStore frequently advertise incredibly obsolete systems in the national papers. Of maybe a few hundred of these adverts, I've never seen a good deal, ever. It's always the same, their sales pitch to the computer-illiterate family; "lots of memery, huge storage and powered by Intel. All for only €1699". Okay, lets recap. That mean that there's: 64mb ram, 20gb if you're lucky and maybe a Celeron 500. How they can just rip people off like this is beyond me.

All I know is that they make a fortune by selling this old hardware to the unsuspecting public - and get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 aus_boy

Originally posted by Gunn4r
    Me: Hi Jon its **** here
    JC: Ok
    Me: I am a mate of aus_boy's
    JC : Excuse me?
    Me: You know aus_boy from boards.ie
    JC: Is this a joke

etc.

only kidding ;-) Nah I wont be callin I can wait, thanks tho

LOL!:D pretty funny dude...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Absolutely dead on Fidelis. I dunno how they get away with it either, but I advise everyone I know to stay away from them.
    "Compustore - We've got the future "clicked" "

ARGGGHHHHHHH

I would agree about full systems, I often laugh when I see people buying them there but when it comes to something in a box that is cheaper than anywhere I would buy it no worries ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The best is the staff in CompuStore...
    I went in looking for a cross-cable (crossover), to direct-connect My PC and my laptop. They tried to sell me eveytrhing from serial cables to USB cables.. Eventually I whipped one together myself in a few minutes..

If the assistants in CompuStore really knew anything about computers, would they really be working there?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

"Staff wanted at PC World, Dixons, Compustore etc, least possible computer knowledge required, preference going to those with none" :p

well lets face it if they knew enough about pc's they wouldnt be working in compustore now would they ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

A couple of weeks ago I ordered some Pc components from Peats online at about midnight on a Wednesday, they arrived here in galway at about noon friday. Can't expect any faster than that really.

I've ordered from them a few times and never had any problems. Compustore just seem to add idiot tax on to their PC's.

Advertisement