Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abusive / off-topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

hmmm the thread is about the Abortion referendum. The poster is expressing his dislike for Youth Defence.

I don't see the problem, unless you are a member of Youth Defence, in which case fúck off :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by amp
    I don't see the problem, unless you are a member of Youth Defence, in which case fúck off :)

I'm not, but fair and balanced discussion would be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well it is definately off topic for a Radio board. What I would suggest is to close that thread with a redirect to the monster abortion one in Politics.

As regarding the abusive side it depends on the rules on that board, but if that was starting a thread on the Politics boards I would more than likely delete it on sight.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Youth Defence are still a bunch of tossers though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

I take it you did take the approach of 'Report this post to a moderator' i.e. Pete Reed first before attempting to bring in the heavies. Ou of cuiosity what was his response?

Personally I don't see the problem, everyone's entitled to their opinion, the thread seems harmless and mild

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

fair and balanced discussion would be nice
    this is not Questions and Answers - its a public forum..

you cant expect "fair and balanced" anything..

Youte Defenz are tossers anyway and deserve any stick they get !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND
    Youte Defenz are tossers anyway and deserve any stick they get !

Now that's fair AND balanced! ;)

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Iv'e come across Youth Defence on a personal basis in the past (although not since my student days). It should be pointed out that the majority pro-life supporters consider them fringe at best and completely insane at worst.

Still, that kind of abuse is unnessesary and only displays inability to argue one's point as well as a pandering to attacking easy targets (which, let's face it they are).

So just because Youth Defence feel it's ok to behave like nazi's in the name of the precious unborn means it's not ok for us to call them ****? Get a grip. Some things defy rational discussion.

Oh and I see the 2 time rapist, paedophile and kidnapper in the X Case got three years. Good job he didn't also try to abort his child or he would have got another 12.

Off topic I know, but sickening nonetheless.

Originally posted by amp
    So just because Youth Defence feel it's ok to behave like nazi's in the name of the precious unborn means it's not ok for us to call them ****? Get a grip. Some things defy rational discussion.
    In a debate or a discussion it's not ok for us to call them or anyone else ****. In a pub, a soccar match or at a public linching you're welcome to call them whatever you like.
    Oh and I see the 2 time rapist, paedophile and kidnapper in the X Case got three years.

Off topic I know, but sickening nonetheless.
    You're right amp, completely off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Nope.

Youth defence are entitled to their opinions, they are entitled to their opinions without having bricks thrown at them, because that's the sort of society 'we' are 'meant' to live in.

Actually aborting a child will be deemed as murder will it not, if not why not, therefore why should someone expect to get a lesser scentence for murder than for a sex crime?

Or is it the case that the unborn are as the Corinthian labled them 'untermenchen', it's ok to experiment on them, it's ok to harvest them for their 'stem cells', and if you terminate one contrary to the law you shouldn't get the same kind of scentence you would get for the termination of a 'born' child?

Perhaps if 'we' allow the 'harvesting' of stem cells, 'we' should also allow the harvesting of organs from aborted children, oh wait I forgot, it's ethical to harvest body parts from the unborn because they're not 'implanted' and Christopher Reeve(Superman) wants it.

Wow, I'm amazed, here was me thinking he was being used as an excuse to enunciate a new form of farming, that of unborn human body parts.
    /How wrong I must have been/. > /dev/null

Originally posted by Typedef
    Or is it the case that the unborn are as the Corinthian labled them 'untermenchen'
    Hold on Typedef! Out of context that sounds really bad of me :o

Nonetheless, let's not start a debate on abortion here as it's OT and being catered to in other threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Perhaps if 'we' allow the 'harvesting' of stem cells, 'we' should also allow the harvesting of organs from aborted children, oh wait I forgot, it's ethical to harvest body parts from the unborn because they're not 'implanted' and Christopher Reeve(Superman) wants it.
    Stem cells cannot form a fetus by themselves, they can give rise to many types of cells but not all types of cells necessary for fetal development.

If introduced to the uterus by themselves they would not form a fetus... thus imo it isn't taking the life of a child.

As for harvesting the organs of aborted children why not? if they're organs can save the lives of children who's parents want a child, let em on.

So much for avoiding the 'A' word here..
    Originally posted by azezil
    As for harvesting the organs of aborted children why not? if they're organs can save the lives of children who's parents want a child, let em on.

Sure, let's make soap and lampshades from them too...

...pity they don't have gold teeth at that age...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by The Corinthian

Hold on Typedef! Out of context that sounds really bad of me :o

Nonetheless, let's not start a debate on abortion here as it's OT and being catered to in other threads.

Oops, apologies.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41393&perpage=40&pagenumber=6
    Originally posted by androphobic
    Here's another scenario. Sarah is pregnant - not through rape but because of her own stupidity and naivety. She's 15, about to do her Junior Cert, lives in a council flat with her parents and siblings. Do you think this child should go through with her pregnancy?
    Originally posted by The Corinthian
    In many respects all of your arguments are valid. However, they assume that the foetus is not human. If that is the case (a case argued for and against for the last twelve pages) then you are advocating a sliding scale of human rights based upon the utility of the individual and economic expediency. On that basis, I might argue that your fifteen-year-old example with child probably should have an abortion. As a matter of fact, be sterilized – such a eugenics program would eliminate a large track of the untermenchen in modern society.
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Nope.

Youth defence are entitled to their opinions, they are entitled to their opinions without having bricks thrown at them, because that's the sort of society 'we' are 'meant' to live in.

And we're entitled to have our opinion without Youth Defence shoving their views down the throat of anyone within range. Now if only someone could get that point through their thick skulls.....

Originally posted by Castor Troy
    And we're entitled to have our opinion without Youth Defence shoving their views down the throat of anyone within range. Now if only someone could get that point through their thick skulls.....
    No one's debating that you're not entitled to have an opinion. Just that is should not be delivered in an abusive manner, that's all.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

god I hate it when I have to agree with The Cornetto....

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

indeed no need for the online abuse of youth defence...

but as a yellow bellied stinking liberal I reserve the right to abuse them in person... oh yes that would be good. :D

Originally posted by DeVore
    god I hate it when I have to agree with The Cornetto....
    You’re just jealous of my Latin good looks and natural charm...:p

• Advertisement

I have never said Youth Defense did not have the right to there views. Or even expressing them. And in real-life(tm) I would never use violence against them. But this is not real-life(tm), this is an online forum where everything is written, so saying that perhaps a brick should be thrown at them is hardly abuse, more a way of re-inforcing the point that the poster doesn't like YD.

Many people have threatened physical abuse on these very boards towards me yet I don't run to the admin board crying. I know when people are joking. It's a pity Yoof Defense don't have a sense of humour.

And lastly I withdraw my allegation that Youth Defense are ****. They probably regard masterbation as a termination of countless potential human life-forms.

O NOE! I MAKE TEH OFF-TOPIC PARAGRAPH AGAIN!

(Reminder: the actual topic is not about abortion but about not abusing Youth Defense.)

Originally posted by amp
    Many people have threatened physical abuse on these very boards towards me yet I don't run to the admin board crying. I know when people are joking. It's a pity Yoof Defense don't have a sense of humour.
    If we’re trying to have a debate, then debate. The argument “X is a (are) wanker(s)” is only an accepted device of discourse if your name is DeVoreIsGay_243 or you’re wearing a white pointed hood and dancing around a burning cross.

Don't confuse debate with muppetry.

It's hard sometimes, as I tend to use ironic muppetry to highlight my point. Problem is people sometimes don't get it.

Debating doesn't necessarily mean that you have to get all serious and sober and rational. Humour is a powerful weapon sometimes. Just look at Spitting Image or Gift Grub or even The Simpsons.

And there are only a few groups that I would call ****. Youth defense are one. Neo-Nazi's are another. Paedophiles are yet another. Having a rational debate does not necessarily mean you've got to supress such feelings.

And calling someone a wanker doesn't automatically make you a member of the KKK. I don't need to back up or explain why I think Yoof Defence are **** because everybody already knows why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

amp test

Advertisement