Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gardening Form?

• 28-02-2002 5:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭

Is there a change that a Gardening form could be setup?
    I think that a number of people would be interested in it and their doses not seem to be a form for it.

There is a such a large number of people on the boards now that I think that it could be a great place for people just asking a few small questions too people wanting to know a lot more.

What you can grow in your area, when to plant, from a window box to a garden, indoors and outdoors, tropical and local plants.
    Ok so most of you are not going to be green fingers but then most people are not going to be tech either but they still need some where to ask questions.

Coyote

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If you (or I) can find a Gardening site in Ireland which would be willing to mod the forum and/or partner with us (ie we link to them, they link to us) then I've no objection.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Coyote you nerd :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

whats wrong with wanting to learn about gardening, growing things and hydroponics :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I need help growing certain.... plants, in certain.... concealed locations. Therefore this product and/or service gains my wholehearted seal of support and/or approval. That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Could turn into a....
    "Where can i buy heat lamps for hemp by-product growing;)"

nonetheless, could do no harm- could increase traffic to the boards if you really worked on finding a good partner site.

• Advertisement

well I will look but i'm not sure that there is a any sort of garndeing board that i have see so far. but I will keep looking.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Finally... it has come to pass....

The main (?) garden forum I'd guess is on www.garden.ie
    It's a site that is run by Gerry Daly/The Irish Garden Magazine...

IMO, the site & especially the forum sucks... you have to register even to lurk, the search feature on the site only lets you search for public pages (ie, not the forum)....
    There is a plant locator facility there... you register, nominate a garden centre, ask a question, your nominated garden centre gets emailed the question and can log in and reply, as can any other garden centre involved with the site.... but IMO the system is pants...
    Like, we, (a member garden centre), don't always automagically™ get notified of new requests and stuff.... and the site isn't interesting enough to check very often, though there is some good "to do" kind of advice and stuff on there....

There was also going to be a retail site launched last year backed by a sucessful Irish PLC and linked to several member garden centres which would have been better in general and was probably a better concept but it fell before the first hurdle. Their logo looked pretty though :p

I'd obviously say that a forum on here would be a good idea - as boards.ie grows and the users get older and stuff, more of this kind of thing is going to become more interesting to them, whether they want it to or not [cue evil laughter].

Admins choice whether a casual forum on here or one enclosed in another site is the best idea...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Licksy for greenfingers mod! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Originally posted by DeVore
    If you (or I) can find a Gardening site in Ireland which would be willing to mod the forum and/or partner with us (ie we link to them, they link to us) then I've no objection.

DeV.

I just happen to know a Horticulturist with a h Dip in computing that would probably be willing to do it.

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Pablo

i'd read this one too

• Advertisement

Originally posted by 80project
    Could turn into a....
    "Where can i buy heat lamps for hemp by-product growing;)"

That's a question we sometimes get via email; "I need a lamp so I can grow my herbs year round and I was wondering could you tell me where I might get one?" :D

Originally posted by Verb

I just happen to know a Horticulturist with a h Dip in computing that would probably be willing to do it.

Gav

any chance we could get him ?

Coyote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

I think its a great idea! I love carniverous plants! Would love to find out more about them! I don't suppose anyone knows why my pitcher plant isn't doing to great? Its bits keep going black! Its tradgic really!

Leaves going black is a sign of stress, due to feeding it strange stuff or possibly watering (not enough or else impure water?).

[cartman voice] See here, here, and here [/cartman voice]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

No its not that. I always give them rain water or if I can't get any I boil some tap water first. I think that its just the time of year. They are tropical plants and probably are in need of more heat. They will probably pick up as the summer comes. Thanks for the help though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Yes, I've known Coyote for years and I can tell you he is a very keen gardener. He's won all sorts of awards for his rhodadendrons and has successfully cross-bred a pea with a rhinocerous.

These boards needs a gardening forum and Coyote is the man to mow this forum into shape. Call him the digital topiarist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tulip

Originally posted by Coyote

any chance we could get him ?

Coyote

:eek: Hey there, I've just joined boards when I heard you might be setting up a garden forum......I've a background in horticulture now working in IT (long story...don't ask!!)...I'd like to help out if thats any good to you???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Originally posted by tulip

:eek: Hey there, I've just joined boards when I heard you might be setting up a garden forum......I've a background in horticulture now working in IT (long story...don't ask!!)...I'd like to help out if thats any good to you???

This would be the person i was talking about :) So is there anything happening then with this board.. DeVore ?

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Let's have a community forum for it for a while so.

Advertisement